XM Weather

From XM

"Beau:

Lets double check on something...when you want to see a loop you are selecting the 'Loop' button and we are still not seeing a loop. We have the system up and running for at least 12 hours and no loop."

That is insane. They are kidding right :D

That is nuts...who has the system up and running in their CAR for 12 hours before you can loop? BS if you ask me :) but hey what do I know.

I dont know about the marine package but you do not have to have it running for 12 hours to get a loop. Just long enough for it to load each frame. Usually 5-10 minutes after it was booted up it should be able to pull a loop easily. We had no issues with loops last year

Jay is right. It just needs to be up long enough to load more than one frame.
Looping works fine for me. I have the Master Mariner plan. I just now loaded it up, let 2 frames get loaded (10 minutes) then hit loop and it worked fine.

I am on the mobile plan, just activated it today, and it was looping fine right away after I had enough radar images for it to loop with.

I have a ? about looping on the XMWX package:

How many images does the WXWORX package cache before deleting old images in a loop (if it does delete them), and do you lose images if you turn your computer off and then turn it back on a few minutes later?

Thanks!

I am on the mobile plan, just activated it today, and it was looping fine right away after I had enough radar images for it to loop with.

Guess that means you now have the system and are ready to go. Now if we only had something to freakin chase!!!!

Kanani and I will be waiting for your phone call :wink:

I have a ? about looping on the XMWX package:

How many images does the WXWORX package cache before deleting old images in a loop (if it does delete them), and do you lose images if you turn your computer off and then turn it back on a few minutes later?

Thanks!

I believe you can cache up to 10 images to loop. There is a setting you can change in there to change how fast and how many images to loop. If you turn the computer off, yes I believe you loose them. However, you can close the threatnet software and just leave the XM connection part still open and it will continue to download the data, then when you load the actual program again you have recent data without having to wait. Of course the computer has to stay on for that.

Guess that means you now have the system and are ready to go. Now if we only had something to freakin chase!!!!

Kanani and I will be waiting for your phone call :wink:

LOL yep, got something else cool going on too on chasing here locally, but yeah we definitely got to get some storms. Not for at least a week though so I can get the van finished!

Importing XMWX metars to Digital Atmosphere

I don't know if anyone else has been able to do this yet, but I just figured out how to get Digital atmosphere to use the metar data that is delivered via XMWX. The data files for XMWX are stored in this location "C:program FilesCommon FilesXMLinkdata"
More specifically the metar files are stored in the 'text' folder and are labled 'metar-DDHHHH'. The metars are in a slightly different format from how DA wants them. However all you have to do is open the file using notepad, goto the edit menu and select "replace all". Then replace all the "SA"'s and "SP"'s with a blank. Then save as to the DA data directry. Then in DA do an import file and select the file you saved from notepad and wal' la you have a satellite delived data source for DA.

One possible solution to your looping problem.
I noticed after installing the update to the software, there is an option for looping speed and number of frames.
Maybe your number of frames is set to one. You may want to check that and see if that is the problem.

Back