WxWorx Threat Net replacement antenna

Dan Robinson

I managed to snap the very fragile wire on my XM antenna. The wire is very sensitive to interference/loss so splicing it doesn't work very well. I have not been able to find any replacement antennas as the new XM radios have a new style of antenna with a different connector.

Does anyone know where to get replacements?

Dan, I found a replacement antenna at Circuit City, Best Buy should have them too. Both carry XM parts. I thought the wire looked flimsy and I bought a replacement before I went chasing May 2005.

Bill Hark

Dan, have you thought about getting that Marine antenna they offer on their website. I looks pretty durable to me, I have even considered it.

I managed to snap the very fragile wire on my XM antenna. The wire is very sensitive to interference/loss so splicing it doesn't work very well. I have not been able to find any replacement antennas as the new XM radios have a new style of antenna with a different connector.

Does anyone know where to get replacements?

BestBuy and CircutCity and Fry's all have the replacements. Their wires are little more "hardy" than the one which came with WxWorx. Baron also sells the antenna's, but they are a tad spendy.

A replacement a buddy of mine had to buy cost him around $35.

Last season somebody pointed out to me how flimsy the WxWorx cable was and I bought a backup from Circuit City (while out on the road). Within a week, my WxWorx stopped functioning, though I couldn't find an obvious problem. I installed the new antenna just in case, and the reciever worked again. That was the morning of a big chase, too. Might have been either May 12 or June 11, so the spare came in very handy.

I found that the Best Buy in whatever town I was in didn't have the right antenna, but Circuit City did.

Thanks guys - found one at Circuit City!

I looked around for one when I was in Washington, PA and Radio Shack and two car stereo dealers said they were special order items from XM. Didn't even think to try Circuit City.

I actually was able to splice the old cable, but it stopped working after a week. I didn't do the recommended repair though - just used solder and electrical tape. Not good enough! You pretty much have to do a perfect repair to the coax, delicately and flawlessly joining the center wire and re-forming the outer mesh conductor so it has no holes or imperfections - then using shrink-tubing to get a good seal on the splice. Too much trouble! Worth the $30 for the new one.

Back