GR/RadarScope+AllisonHouse vs Web-Based Baron Threat Net

I currently use the web-based Baron Threat Net (Public Safety tier) as my primary storm tracking platform (not cheap, but the overall data quality is rock-solid). In the past, I've also used GR2Analyst/GRLevel3 on a Windows PC and RadarScope on a Mac/iPhone/iPad with AllisonHouse (I've been Mac-exclusive for a while, but I finally managed to get Windows 10 running in a VM on my iMac Pro with VMware Fusion). Both use Internet-delivery (I'm not referring to WxWorx or XM Weather).

If someone offered you a choice to use one, but not both, services, which one would you pick? Would you run on the web-based Baron Threat Net or would you go with GR2Analyst/GRLevel3/RadarScope with AllisonHouse? Explain why in your response.

Thanks!

GR3 is an easy choice for me, especially if you are not talking about the satellite version of the Baron product of years past. The customization of data and layers is invaluable, the program is efficient, and the cost is very low. To be fair I have not used ThreatNet and it may be great, but I also can't say I have cause to try due to the following:
  1. I haven't had any really problematic data outages in several years with GR3 in the areas I chase often: NE/CO/WY/KS/OK/TX/AZ. GR3 is able to successfully pull frames of radar data with even the poorest 1X or 3G signal, where most phone apps that are more wasteful with connectivity fail. This year I had only one carrier and device and very rarely lost frames during any chase.
  2. I have used GR3 for about a decade now and trust it to be exceptionally accurate such that I can tell when roads will be muddy, tell within 30 seconds when rain will start, safely skirt hail cores, etc. It would take a good reason to leave that comfort.
  3. Since I prefer a PC tablet like a Surface Pro anyway, there just isn't any additional motivation for me to consider a more expensive product that is perhaps more easily Apple compatible, but doesn't add any clear advantage for my use case.

Thanks for the info. It might be fun for you to take a Baron Threat Net trial just to take it for a test drive. The exclusive data sets in there have been super-accurate in my area, where it's been spot-on every time. With each major weather event, I'm amazed at just how well the exclusive data sets perform.

Back