Would you mobile mesonet for science?

If you're interested in data away from the Alley, you can count me in. I can be counted on to chase just about any storm with an anvil around here. :rolleyes: :cool:

I am in.

Here is a question: What if instead of car mounts, you simply had portable stands of some sort and set them up outside the car? I know for running after tornadoes and such that wouldn't be practical unless one was designed to be car mounted and stood up on the ground. That may make the standardization a little easier to accomplish. What do you guys think? Until I read this thread I was going to buy on of the new Davis weatherstations and buy their or someone elses car mount. I may just buy a portable stand if I buy one at all.

Here is a question: What if instead of car mounts, you simply had portable stands of some sort and set them up outside the car?

Good idea Christopher, the only problem is that it take a fair amount of effort and time to set up something like that. That's a lot of time that most chasers wouldn't want to take to set up something like that. Plus, at least myself personally, I don't like to sit still in one place that long as USUALLY the tornado/storm is not sitting still. Thus a system that is designed from the ground up to be on a mobile platform suits itself better to this type of application. That's not to say that it wouldn't work sitting still, but it allows the chaser to still chase the way they have before, whatever style that may be.

Also, just for reference, I believe that the Texas Tech student's in VORTEX 2 can set up one of their stationary sticknets (a stationary version of a mobile mesonet rack) in about 4 minutes, but they are VERY good at it. Plus you get into other issues about location, level, etc that make the data complicated to compare.

Good day all,

I definitely would be interested as well...

wxlab63.jpg

Anything for science and being a "data junkie" ;-)

FYI...It's still on my todo list but I just haven't had the time. I have the basics worked out and I know _how_ to make it work...I just need the time to get it done.

Thanks for lettin us know tyler, and keep us up to date on this please.

Back