Wind chill charts....old and new

So how many of you think the new wind chill calculation that was significantly revised a few years back underestimates the level of wind chill? I believe the old one was a bit overzealous, but personally I think this new one is a bit too much reserved. This is going mainly by feel here. Tonight leaving work it felt WAY colder than the actual ambient temp reading of 12. And yet the wind chill was a mere -5.

This isn't the first time I've doubted the the relatively new calculation.

I do have to admit though that I miss the old -60 to -80 windchills that were reported across the northern plains during artic outbreaks.

Any thoughts?

Personally I'm not a big fan of expressing wind chill in terms of temperature....how cold it feels is totally subjective. The Canadians in my opinion have a much better method of determining wind chill - one that gives a better idea of how much heat energy the body is losing (expressed in watts per square meter). Here's a good article which talks about the different ways wind chill is determined....

http://www.explorenorth.com/library/weekly...ly/aa121198.htm

GRAND RAPIDS CLEAR 10 -6 48 N21G26 30.10R WCI -9
New Wind Chill: -9
Old Wind Chill: -25

All I know is I walked outside, with no jacket on, just wearing sweats, its cold outside, it feel colder than the -9, but I do not know about -25, I rather take the average of the two and say it feels like -17 LOL.

I do miss the old wind chill readings of -80 sometimes to -100 in the Northern Plains and parts of Canada. At least the NWS issues Wind Chill Advisories and Wind Chill Warnings, Wind Chill Watch, last I knew individual offices have different criteria for it.

Mike

Looks like its going to be another "ice bowl" in green bay today for the game. temp is 3 with a wind chill of -16 (new chill scale) . bet jacksonville will love the switch from sunny florida to that!! talk about home field advantage.

I liked the older one better since it made it seem worse. anything that is more extreme :wink: is good.

Looks like its going to be another "ice bowl" in green bay today for the game. temp is 3 with a wind chill of -16 (new chill scale) . bet jacksonville will love the switch from sunny florida to that!! talk about home field advantage.

:D :D :lol: :lol: :lol: :D :D :lol: :lol: :D

Them Jags are gonna freeze solid :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

The CPC thinks that the next Arctic blast might be powerful enough to bring sub-freezing temperatures as far south as Miami, though.

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov//products/pre...ts/threats.html

My poor Texans are frigid in Chicago right now. Hahahha Jags, hope they do get cold after all the smack their fans have been giving me this week! :twisted:

Back