What Will You Do Different in 2020?

Welp life is funny and plans change. My initial thought of not taking an official chasecation still stands but I will be moving back to Norman in late March as a new mesoscale forecaster at the Storm Prediction Center. This gives me a much better shot at some local tornado days than Cheyenne and Northern Colorado did with my previous work schedule. Hoping I can get some late April and plenty of May days to satisfy the itch!

Welp life is funny and plans change. My initial thought of not taking an official chasecation still stands but I will be moving back to Norman in late March as a new mesoscale forecaster at the Storm Prediction Center. This gives me a much better shot at some local tornado days than Cheyenne and Northern Colorado did with my previous work schedule. Hoping I can get some late April and plenty of May days to satisfy the itch!
Awesome! Congrats on the new job!

This year will be good for me if we actually get a decent chase year. I feel the last 3 have really sucked/been limited in a lot of different ways from weather to personal things.

Now I make a bunch more money, have a reliable vehicle, and have all the flexibility in the world with my job. I also refuse to take other people chasing anymore after I had many years of dragging dead weight around with visitors from in and out of country.

The goal is yet again to get close shoot wide. I will not be happy if I don't get closer than I did to Mangum this year. I get free windshields for the next 4 years so hail and debris is fine(The up charge "warranty" when I bought my car of $400 is going to pay off big time) if it happens.

And I hope to pull my prank off this year. It will be a blast. Literally

I don't have any new technology plans other than a rear-facing, 4k camera and maybe a body cam.

I purchased the DJI Osmo action camera and it probably would make a nice body camera. You could even vlog with it. I like it a lot but now I'm wondering about the GoPro 8 with the media attachments. They look nice! I have a Sony FDR-AX700 4K camera, it's nice as long as you don't rapidly move it around as the stabilization isn't that spectacular.

It's funny, I spend more of camera gear now that I don't chase than I did back when I chased :D

Well, going to hopefully fix the issues with my headlights by going with a standalone light bar from RIGID lights. It's a 10 inch LED light bar that will be mounted in the front bumper of my Xterra. Of course I will use it as I do with high beams when traffic approaches. I will leave it on and BLIND everyone! Just kidding! I will turn it off well in advance of oncoming traffic. Here are some specs...

RIGID E SERIES PRO DRIVING 10 inch LED light bar
SAE Street legal
18,810 lumens
Shoots light 620 meters down the road

I will generally use this on those very rural FM roads where I really need to see things like possible storm debris/wildlife in the road.

EXTRA: Increases CAPE by a margin of 750 j/kg on those low instability days! LOL

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 0
Back