What makes the best storm chasing vehicle?

In your opinion, what would make the best storm chasing vehicle?

Votes: 6 100.0%

• Total voters
I couldn't vote because "A DEPENDABLE VEHICLE" was not one of the choices.

The new 2006 AWD Toyota RAV4... not an off-roader in any way, but the AWD and 7.5 inch ground clearance will get you thru some spots.

Any for the naysayers, I have done 4WD country roads with a Corolla before (not a good idea, almost did underbody damage), so for the willing and skillful, I think the RAV4 would be excellent (and very reliable).

Plus, 29 MPG! Nice!

AWD would be nice... especially if I end up in ND, but cost will be main factor. I can get a well equipped vehicle for $17-18k, while with AWD it will be $20-22... Maybe not a big deal for some, but grad student budget is limited ;)

Aaron

Dan Robinson Wrote:
- ability to comfortably sleep in the vehicle (able to lie flat and stretch out fully)

This is an absolute necessity. We have always made space for a small bed in the back of our Explorer. It's definitely not the best on gas, but it has a lot of space and it fits four very comfortably. We're coming all the way from Florida, so comfort and the ability to sleep is crucial. It really helps if you just feel like "getting there". I remember about two years ago when we were in Georgia chasing on a bust day and decided that since the next week was going to be almost storm-less according to the models, etc. We would go to South Dakota to do some sight seeing. So we drove straight there. Without our bed in the back, I don't think we could have ever made it. We ended up driving straight to Murdo, SD from Tallahassee, FL in about 33 hours. Seems like a long time, but it really wasn't that bad.

Originally posted by Marc Austin
Dan Robinson Wrote:
- ability to comfortably sleep in the vehicle (able to lie flat and stretch out fully)
We ended up driving straight to Murdo, SD from Tallahassee, FL in about 33 hours. Seems like a long time, but it really wasn't that bad.

I drove from Gainesville, FL to OKC straight, taking naps along the way. Being able to stretch out is THE way to go, also saves on hotels, last year I took someones advice and parked near a RR track in Chapman, KS off I70 for a couple of hours, it was nice.

Originally posted by mrobinett
I drove from Gainesville, FL to OKC straight, taking naps along the way. Being able to stretch out is THE way to go, also saves on hotels, last year I took someones advice and parked near a RR track in Chapman, KS off I70 for a couple of hours, it was nice.

Trackside is a great spot to do car lodging. As long as it is in a rural area and there is room to get a fair distance from the road. Two other good spots are frontage roads at the point where they dead-end, and tower site access roads.

One thing I would recommend for any car used in this way is homemade cardboard panels to put in the windows. Blocks streetlights, headlights, sunlight and keeps people from looking in. My only two anxieties from sleeping in the car are people watching me sleep and cops waking me up to question me.

Originally posted by Blake Michaleski
if you know someone with a rubicon wrangler, ask them about the air lockers.

I have an '04 Rubicon, and yes they are very nice, similar to the ARB's in operation. Not sure how much value they add to a dedicated chase vehicle, but for improving off-road ability they are hard to beat.

You didn't have "All wheel drive station wagon" listed, but I vote for that anyway. :roll: I am probably the only storm chaser in America that has a Mercedes for a chase vehicle. :D My 1990 Mercedes Benz 300TE wagon is a great vehicle. It has the 4MATIC AWD, gets about 16-21 mpg (not as good as I had hoped but it's a Mercedes for crying out loud, they were purchased by rich people to whom gas prices were not a major concern, especially 16 years ago) but it has a 19 gallon tank so it has about a 350 mile range driving reasonably.
It actually has seating for seven, the third row seat is hidden under a panel in the cargo floor, you just open the panel, flip up the bottom, slide on the back and voila! You have rearward facing accomodations with C-pillar mounted seatbelts for two. Then when you're done with it it disappears back into the cargo floor by reversing the three steps you took to assemble it. It's a nice touch, most definetely. It has great cargo room with the second row seats up, but when you fold them flat, you have about a seven foot long by two and a half feet wide flat surface area, perfect for a sleeping bag or two.
The only thing that bugs me about it is it has a central locking system that can only be enabled from OUTSIDE the vehicle; there are NO interior door lock switches. On one hand, it prevents you from ever locking your keys out of the car, :) but on the other it leaves you quite vulnerable if you were to camp out for the night. :? I'll probably have to roll down the window a crack, have someone else lock it, pass me the keys through the window, roll up the window (or leave it cracked depending on how hot/humid it is and the risk of nocturnal convection) and then when I wake up just pull the lock on one of the rear passenger doors to get out. Since I am a 16 year old on a limited budget, I'm going to be spending a lot of nights in the back of the Benz. It should be interesting. :wink: Oh well, I love it anyway.
I can't wait for chase season to start so I can take Das Panzervagen (the name I have bestowed upon it) out in the field and break it in; I am currently suffering from a prolonged bout of SAPSDS (Severe and Proufound Storm Deprivation Syndrome) which began after the last good round of severe storms back on the 14th of September. :lol:
I'll post a pic of it at a later date when Photobucket isn't being such a pain in the a** to upload photos to; happens when you use a dial up connection (DSL and wireless internet are one of the nice perks you miss out on when you live way out in the boondocks like me).

chase suv

Im with Marc Austin.This is my 3rd year in my Ford Explorer....I took out the center console and installed a police console to handle my camera, laptop, media radio and ham radio......dont forget the P.A. system. 17-20 mpg isnt great...but KWTV pays the mileage..and I too can sleep in the fold down back seat. Its got strethout room for those 14 hour chase days, I will get a v8 engine the next go-round not the v6. I like the ability to move fast when the 300 yard away tornado starts gunning for you..... Likes: roomy, handles well, maintains the electrical load of the equipment, 4 doors, luggage rack to stabilize the on top weather package, fair gas mileage..360 miles a tankfull. Dislikes...steering very sensitive (especially if you have an en-experienced co-pilot) V6 engine better that a 4 cyl. but doesnt hold a candle to a v8. Holds 5 persons if you must haul that many..my old vehicle would haul 6-7. Oxygen sensors are flakey on Fords and go bad..(replaced 3 different ones) Front ends need rebuilt every 100,000 miles.....I would consider another explorer if the deal were right.

Originally posted by Mike Peregrine
This one:

m150.jpg

Or...

Still_high45foldedC-777553.jpg

;-)

I would have to agree with the folks that mentioned Jeep Cherokees. I have owned 2, and the one I have currently has 225k on it, and still has exceptional performance and reliability. My dad bought it back in 1997, and it has been the workhorse of my family since then. My next vehicle will also be a 2000 Cherokee with Select-trac. It is unfortunate that the only Jeeps that still use the 4.0L engine are the Wranglers, the Liberty's 3.5L is nice, but not as nice as the 4.0L.

Back