What makes the best storm chasing vehicle?

In your opinion, what would make the best storm chasing vehicle?

Votes: 6 100.0%

• Total voters
The last three years I've used a Dodge Dakota quad cab on our chase trips. It is a two wheel drive with the 3.7 V6 and I get around 22-23 mpg on the road. I added a high performance air intake/filter to the engine and a bed cover which helps smooth out the airflow over the bed and that brought my mileage up from around 20-21 to 22-23. I know it doesn't sound like much but with gas prices like they are it sure doesn't hurt! The thing I like is there is plenty of room for equipment and stuff, and it's been very reliable so far.

I went with the mini-van for the combo of space and economy. First of all, I get about 23/25mpg of the freeway compared to 32 from my Tracer. However, its a more comfortable ride and very spacious. QUOTE]

Speaking of chase vehicle, I just bought myself a "new" used MiniVan.

I bought a 2002 Dodge Sport Grand Caravan. It has only 65000km on it and I still have a 1 year bumper to bumper warranty from Dodge. Basically it just look brand new!!!!

I'm totally happy, it's my first vehicle with such low age and mileage....

Here's a pic:

minivanwebbe3.jpg

Back in 2004 the Weathervine crew rented a 2005 Chrysler Town & Country. Brand new. It had the new (then) Stow-n-Go seating. We folded the center seats down to allow for room for the tripod and cameras during active chasing. With the doors on both sides it was really easy to pull the doors open and spread the tripods without having to extend the legs.

I also found that driving the Dodge/Chrylser Minivans with the center seats down much more stable than most of the SUVs we've rented, used, or owned (included the Jeep models), even on the dirt back roads of the Great Plains and especially at high speed. Unfortunately they didn't offer AWD with the Stow-n-Go seats (but did offer it with the regular seating). There still really expensive used ($15,000 for average to low mileage unit), but that's what I'm going to aim for next when my 1996 Caravan is ready to be retired.

Most everyone knows I have been a proponent of mini-vans for chasing for about 7 years now. IMO, the combination of space, gas mileage, front or all wheel drive and cost just can't be had in any other vehicle format. The have a soccer mom stigma, bu they make an excellent utility vehicle and loose that stigma one you deck them out with chase gear.

I switched from the Ford Windstars (which I really liked) to a Pontiac Montana (that I love) this past year. I have already decided when it's time to retire it I am going to get a newer one of the SV6 all wheel drive model and the newer SUV styled front end.

I think I've posted in this thread before, but I'm going to second what I've said along with Drummond and others... minivans are THE way to chase!

I've done two seasons with 50,000 plus chasing miles in my 1996 Chrysler Town & Country. I purchased it in Jan 2006 with just under 60,000 miles and have doubled that and then some as of this writing. A quirk with these guys is transmission replacement, but upon blowing and replacing mine last year, I purchased the AAMCO Lifetime Warrenty and will not have to worry about that again!

The space, gas mileage, and overall comfort is about as good as you can get for a vehicle. I've chased in several different vehicles from Subarus to giant-@$$ SUVs to compact sedans and I find the best overlap of space, gas mileage, and comfort is with the minivans.

Most anyone who's chased with me will probably say the same. We've done a multitude of chases with 4 people in the ride and it fits us and the gear comfortably. On solo chases, it can act as a hotel, be setup to accomodate easy and quick access to ALL my gear, and its handling and "drive itself" feel makes it easy to deal with for long drives by myself.

So again, I say hail to the minivans in terms of chasing! No better vehicle to chase in IMO.

I may have to look into mini van when I get ready to trade the truck. I notice Dodge has a Flex fuel engine option now, do you all think Flex fuel capability would be worth it, say when chasing up in Nebraska and South Dakota?

Here is my list as only I believe Dan created one originally:

1) Reliability - You'll know what I mean when you break down in the middle of nowhere as I have on numerous occasions.
2) Repairability - you can find parts, and mechanics across the plains know how to repair
3) Ground Clearance - You need a good enough ground clearance for flooded conditions and sometimes to keep the body out of the mud if you slide off the road.
4) Fuel Efficiency - With gas at $3.00 and likely going up for awhile this is needed
5) Good tires - For rain or dirt / mud roads. They should be aggressive enough for traction, but hopefully not kill the gas mileage.
6) Rugged - Probably should be a fairly tough vehicle as chase vehicles can sometimes endure a lot.
7) 4WD (or possibly AWD as alternative) - Recommended. You never know when you might get caught in a situation that needs it. It's nice to know you have it. This is likely essential if you do dirt/mud roads, or ever pull off on a wet shoulder.
8) Hailability - The vehicle should protect you from Hail and also flying debris to some degree.
9) No moon/sun roof. While I love this feature too, it is not desirable in 2"+ hail.
10) Beatability - This is a factor or ranking that describes how much or little you care about it getting pounded by gorilla hail and completely ruining the body. Storm environments are unpredictable and while you may try and avoid hail, often it will find you regardless.
11) Comfortable - for long drives - likely roomy enough for leg and head room - or stretching back to sleep / rest.
12) Capacity - Enough to carry all your equipment, chase partners, and gadgets
13) Mountability - Suitable for mounting your chase equipment in / on. You need places to put things and you need to be able to access them.
14) Safe - It's nice to have brakes that really work well. It's also good to have airbags and reinforced doors if you slide off the road, rollover from hydroplaning, or a tornado throws or drops something at / on you.
15) Reasonably priced - In my opinion if you are going to drive the heck out of a vehicle and possibly ding it up then it should not be a drain on your pocketbook, and repairs should also be inexpensive as opposed to repairing something like a BMW or Mercedes.
16) Fast - or fast enough to get away in a bad situation. My Tahoe has a speed governor which shuts down the throttle at 100mph. I've been in occasions when that was barely enough. I'm not advocating speeding here. I'm just advocating saving your ass when the situation calls for it.

These are just off the top of my head. I am sure there more. The key is to find a vehicle that does all of the above efficiently. That is tough because some of the items typically go against each other.

Last edited by a moderator:
i find that my 2000 chevy s10 4x4 would be a good chase truck, its only a reg cab but when i get out to south dakota in a couple of months ill be looking to get into the crew cab s10. those s10s have 18-20 mpg, not to bad on gas but could be better. the crew cab has way more room then my reg cab does.

Flex Fuel

I may have to look into mini van when I get ready to trade the truck. I notice Dodge has a Flex fuel engine option now, do you all think Flex fuel capability would be worth it, say when chasing up in Nebraska and South Dakota?

I checked this website a while back, since I heard my 1996 Caravan was able to do the E85 fuel. The problem was that there are hardly any gas stations that have E-85. And many that do have charged more than the Premium gas price for it.

Here in Montgomery County, Maryland, only the local government has E-85, which you can sign a waiver for and then fill-up, but they typically charge about $0.15 per gallon more than premium at local commercials stations.

http://e85vehicles.com/e85-stations.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
Back