What kind of GPS and Maps should I get?

Originally posted by Kurt Hulst
David the F8 key ill have to remember that do you know if it only works with the 2005 version or would it work with the 2004 as well. any way ill try it out soon.

Delrome street atlas and Earthmate GPS reciever all the way baby

It works on both. I found it pretty hand myself.

I used Delorme SA2004 with the Eartmate GPS unit for the first time last year - wow. It made navigating storms and warning areas so much easier. The software did have me passing through a field or building a couple of times but nothing significant.

I do understand however that the Earthmate is not compatible with the Baron's system and you need to tab between the two - this could be a problem!

So I've got a laptop. I just need GPS software, and a compatable antenna for my laptop and im good to go? that is the way it has been explained to me.

Originally posted by Ben Engle
So I've got a laptop. I just need GPS software, and a compatable antenna for my laptop and im good to go? that is the way it has been explained to me.

Essentially use.. the "antenna" is really the actual GPS receiver... In the case of the DeLorme Earthmate, the antenna is integrated in the receiver housing, though you need a laptop/PDA with software to view the GPS output. With a standalone GPS (such as my Garmind 12MAP), you don't need a computer to see maps, etc, as the receiver has a screen, routing capabilities, etc., and you can get an external atenna for better reception.

What do I use? I have both a standalone (as mentioned above) and a DeLorme Earthmate. The Garmin is nice since I don't need to lug my computer everywhere, but I only mainly use it for chasing, in which case I already have my laptop with my anyway.

Back