What kind of GPS and Maps should I get?

Below is a list of links for further information, most of products you can buy in retail stores or online.
GPS:
DeLorme
Garmin
Magellan

Mapping Software:
DeLorme
Garmin
Magellan
Microsoft
National Geographic
Rand McNally

Road Atlas:
AAA
American Map Corporation

Rand McNally Rand McNally 2005 Large Scale Road Atlas (I recommend this atlas)
Universal Map

State Atlas (Paper):
DeLorme
Shearer Publishing

State Maps:
AAA
American Map Coporation
Rand McNally
Universal Map

Also for state maps, you can get maps from the Department of Transportation and the Travel/Tourism Offices of the states.

What do I use:
GPS: DeLorme
Mapping Software: DeLorme
Road Atlas: Rand McNally
State Atlas: DeLorme and Shearer
State Maps: Rand McNally

Mike

To save space in the ever crowded vehicle, consider a PDA with Pocket Streets and built in GPS or plug in GPS aka TOM TOM navigator.They usually come with a mount as well . Keeps the laptop for the more serious weather stuff or the DVD when things get boring( that is if your laptop has a DVD drive)
Just my 2 cents worth.

Whether you get a GPS or a paper road atlas, I highly recommend one that includes much more than the main highways - such as ones that show all of the secondary roads and dirt roads.

Roads of Texas, Roads of Oklahoma, etc. etc. are a must have.

These are very good paper maps, and I rely on these while using GPS as just a glancing indicator of where i am. I prefer to navigate via paper.

Many in the series have county road numbers. That's very important.

I believe they're published by Shearer.

MP

I have used for several years, and highly recommend the Delorme Street Atlas and GPS. It has served well and the 2005 version loads MUCH faster than the old one and aquires the satellite faster too! It does show all the secondary and dirt roads too!

There is nothing like knowing in an instant EXACTLY where you are at all times. Hitting the F8 key a voice will tell you, including the county!

Always have paper maps for backup though. They are better for long range route planning for the most part. The ROADS OF **** series is great. I even keep a regular atlas I got free from State Farm.

I agree that the Atlas and Gazetteer series is good. I have that too. Unlike Roads of <name here>, it has some enhanced place name features and topographic information.

Unfortunately, at least for the Texas Atlas and Gazetteer, it doesn't have county roads.

Originally posted by Morgan Palmer
Unfortunately, at least for the Texas Atlas and Gazetteer, it doesn't have county roads.

Ouch, really?! I didn't know that. Never ended up in Texas last May, wouldn't you know? ;)

Any paper maps available that do? We don't really have a great laptop, and even if we did, we find paper maps less cumbersome. Thanks.

Originally posted by Joe Nield+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Joe Nield)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-Morgan Palmer

Ouch, really?! I didn't know that. Never ended up in Texas last May, wouldn't you know? ;)

Any paper maps available that do? We don't really have a great laptop, and even if we did, we find paper maps less cumbersome. Thanks.[/b]

Roads of Texas shows every dirt road in the state! BTW I have run Delorme Street Atlas on an AMD 450mhz laptop before, so it will run on some pretty crappy machines. LOL

Originally posted by David Drummond+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(David Drummond)</div>
Originally posted by Joe Nield@
<!--QuoteBegin-Morgan Palmer

Any paper maps available that do? We don't really have a great laptop, and even if we did, we find paper maps less cumbersome. Thanks.

Roads of Texas shows every dirt road in the state! BTW I have run Delorme Street Atlas on an AMD 450mhz laptop before, so it will run on some pretty crappy machines. LOL[/b]

Does it (Roads of Texas) delineate between those dirt roads and paved roads? That's a very useful feature in the gazetteers.

Yes it does. Shows bladed roads, graded and drained roads, etc etc etc.

I have the Roads of Texas and Roads of Oklahoma and the Gazetteer for Kansas (couldn't find a Roads of Kansas if there is one).

My apologies... my copy of Texas Atlas and Gazetteer doesn't name or number county roads. It does display them of course. Sorry to confuse.
mp

David the F8 key ill have to remember that do you know if it only works with the 2005 version or would it work with the 2004 as well. any way ill try it out soon.

Delrome street atlas and Earthmate GPS reciever all the way baby

Originally posted by Kurt Hulst
David the F8 key ill have to remember that do you know if it only works with the 2005 version or would it work with the 2004 as well. any way ill try it out soon.

Delrome street atlas and Earthmate GPS reciever all the way baby

It works on both. I found it pretty hand myself.

I used Delorme SA2004 with the Eartmate GPS unit for the first time last year - wow. It made navigating storms and warning areas so much easier. The software did have me passing through a field or building a couple of times but nothing significant.

I do understand however that the Earthmate is not compatible with the Baron's system and you need to tab between the two - this could be a problem!

So I've got a laptop. I just need GPS software, and a compatable antenna for my laptop and im good to go? that is the way it has been explained to me.

Originally posted by Ben Engle
So I've got a laptop. I just need GPS software, and a compatable antenna for my laptop and im good to go? that is the way it has been explained to me.

Essentially use.. the "antenna" is really the actual GPS receiver... In the case of the DeLorme Earthmate, the antenna is integrated in the receiver housing, though you need a laptop/PDA with software to view the GPS output. With a standalone GPS (such as my Garmind 12MAP), you don't need a computer to see maps, etc, as the receiver has a screen, routing capabilities, etc., and you can get an external atenna for better reception.

What do I use? I have both a standalone (as mentioned above) and a DeLorme Earthmate. The Garmin is nice since I don't need to lug my computer everywhere, but I only mainly use it for chasing, in which case I already have my laptop with my anyway.

Back