What is the name of your chase vehicle?

Albatross, for the obvious size...

(image removed)

Soon I'd like to change my rear-end to 3:73's for better fuel efficiency, and less wear-and-tear on the engine. Guy who had it before me raced sprint cars, and this was the pulling truck. Rebuilt 400 V8, rebuilt Turbo 400 and what I think are either 4:11 or 4:56 gears.

If you really wanted to go for fuel efficiency you could go grab a set of 3:08 gears. There are a ton out there, you could probably just go grab a whole rear end assembly from a similar truck at a junk yard. The nice thing about that is that rear-ends don't usually wear out, well not fast anyway.

Albatross, for the obvious size...

(image removed)

Soon I'd like to change my rear-end to 3:73's for better fuel efficiency, and less wear-and-tear on the engine. Guy who had it before me raced sprint cars, and this was the pulling truck. Rebuilt 400 V8, rebuilt Turbo 400 and what I think are either 4:11 or 4:56 gears.

If you really wanted to go for fuel efficiency you could go grab a set of 3:08 gears. There are a ton out there, you could probably just go grab a whole rear end assembly from a similar truck at a junk yard. The nice thing about that is that rear-ends don't usually wear out, well not fast anyway.

I thought about 3:07's, but I figured it'd take too much off my torque being I have large tires and the truck is heavy. And too, I already bought the used gears; a 14-bolt 3:73 ring and pinion with corporate carrier. Now all I gotta do now is get the money to have a guy I know install them. I'd try myself, but this is something that is best left for someone who knows what they're doing. Couldn't find any 3:07's for a 14-bolt rear-end at the time, either.

Hopefully this'll work out good enough. Thanks for the advice, though; and if these aren't what I want, I may change again in the future if I can spare the money.

In Full Metal Jacket, Gomer Pyle named his rifle, Charlene.

I guess if I'm about to die, I'd rather be yelling about Charlene than Buster.

:)

MP

Back when we chased in my black Nissan Altima (which no longer exists), we called it the "Black Thimble" because it was so dented from hail. I miss having that car....

The Big Kahuna

View attachment 51c6152742cad3ab1b0367121a3b980c.jpg
This is my new storm chase vehicle. It is named The Big Kahuna. It is equipped with a Kenwood TM-D700A FM dual band radio for primary communications. I also use a Radio Shack Pro-96 scanner, a Kenwood TH-D7A FM dual band HT for crossband repeating with the D-700.I also have APRS capabilities using the D-700 and D-7 with a Garmin GPS.
I use a Sony Vaio notebook computer and a Delorme GPS to run Street Atlas, and a two separate mag mount 800 MHz and 440/70 cm antennas along with a Diamond K-9000 motor driven antenna mount using a Diamond NR770 antenna for reception.
Needless to say I am also equipped with a Practical Trauma First Responders Kit everywhere I travel.
I currently use a Kestrel 4000 to measure the atmosphere and I am considering building a mobile mesonet and purchasing a WXWORX Mobile Threat Net system...if they lower the price.

The vehicle is a 2004 Nissan Armada. I will be trying to avoid any hail for obvious reasons.

Here is a link to my website. I have just started working on it so please be patient. www.warewebs.com

Grand Cherokees and chasing

since i'm really new to the storm chasing scene, i haven't thought of a name yet, maybe you guys can help me...

How about "Hard to put stuff in.."

I have a Grand myself, and although I love the vehicle in almost every other respect, the interior is a real challenge for the installation of serious equipment without major modifications. I found the biggest problem to be the location of the shifter etc. in the console.. prime real estate for radios etc. Still, once I worked everything out I ended up with something that worked.

Cheers!

court,
i had an '84 jeep 4x4 and know about the space problem.i didn't have it long enough to name it,but after seeing yours and seeing what color it is,how about KODIAK.you know,like the bear. BIG BEAR.

Originally posted by Court Hubbard
lol good replies, i'm curious as to see how you mounted your stuff in your grand cherokee John, maybe you could post some pics sometime?

Sure, I'll have to scan some of the pics I have. Basically what I did was to mount some communication type speakers to the overhead console for the radios; the radios themselves were mounted on each side of the centre console. The laptop mount was custom made for this app; it also incorporates a mount for the video camera and can be completely removed. I put the GPS unit (an older magellen unit) on the dash near the passenger side (I don't need to see the display all the time as I use the laptop connection for that). I am thinking about locating a centre console from a wrecked Grand Cherokee that I can radically modify so that I can reverse the "mods" in my ride if I decide to sell it someday.

Cheers!

Back