What electronic gear is essential for chasing?

If you chase alone and you don't stick to main highways GPS is actually quite valuable and perhaps needed. One really doesn't require anything anyway right? So saying something isn't needed is of course true. I would much rather have a gps running then have to keep my finger or thumb on one page of a delorme map showing what gravel road I'm on while trying to chase and video/take stills(yeah it can be done though). I've chased since 99 now and I can say I've NEVER listend to HAM on any chase. I can go without anything, but the thing I'd like to go without least is certainly a GPS...cept that rare occasion that map is out to lunch....grumble......

With all this talk about high power output for diffrent Gadgets the best thing to look into or see if you already got it is a high output alternator. something over 140 volts.

Im on my 6th year chasing now. even in 2004 all i used was a Laptop for internet access on the raod and a every now and then A GPS. I just recently got a HAM radio. which does come in handy when you searching for good ole chaser friends that you have meet in the field as well as other sky warn spotter reports. the years before this last 2004 all i used was ME my Car and Camera. The question you gotta ask will these's things i got help me chase safer. I believe they do. instead of looking and squinting at a paper map I can look at a map that in a sense is back lit and I can zoom in on.

Chase equippment

One of the pieces of equippment I bring with me while chasing is a portable color TV, here in Iowa I can usually get some pretty good reception and stations here break in for tornado warnings etc. Nothing like having live radar etc. while tracking a storm!

With all this talk about high power output for diffrent Gadgets the best thing to look into or see if you already got it is a high output alternator. something over 140 volts.

And by 140 volts, I think he means 140 amps. Most vehicles still run from 13-15 volts when the engine is on, though some hybrids and such run upwards of 400 volts. That said, I certainly agree that, for one who runs many electronics, a high-output alternator is pretty important. Otherwise, you'll really bog down your electrical system, which could spell early retirement for some of the more sensitive electronics. I upgraded my alternator to one that is 160 amps, mostly due to car audio stuff, though it now comes in handy with the storm chasing gadgets and relative equipment.

what about the cars battery?i know that upgrading the alternator is mandatory to run a heavy payload,but do some of you still keep the vehicles battery or upgrade it to?

Pager

Good day everyone. I'm not a chaser, but am a Skywarn spottter. One of the things that I use for our safety & for addtional info, is my text pager. I subscribe to a service from www.stormnow.com that forwards NWS warnings, watches, etc to my text pager. This has come in quite handy when hiking in the wilderness when the Oregon Scientific is out of range - especially when camping. I'm not sure if it would be helpful in your bag of tools for chasing, but it's kept me out of harms way more than a few times. Everyone have a great weekend. Take care & 73.

Christopher, N3QXX

Jeff Amps is what i meant thanks. i have 120 in mine, but stays steady b/w 13-15 volts. I was looking for something for my car of about 140 amps but cant find anything aftermarket. but thanks for clarifying for me.

Besides my cameras and NOAA Weather Radio the electronic device I could not do without is my portable clock that receives signals from the atomic clock. Comes in very handy when documenting the exact time of severe weather events I witnessed.

What are some common data sources people use for imagery and the like?

Yeah, I was wondering that too. I find it hard to get anything significantly related to Canadian meteorology on the web. There is the option of getting one-on-one direct info from Environment Canada, but that is quite pricey.

Got any links, recommendations or pointers?

My standard gear includes...

1. Scanner for NWR, SKYWARN, and Public Safety reception.
2. AM-FM radio, tuned to the EAS LP-1's in the target area.
3. Cell Phone, cord, and spare batteries.
4. GPS reciever, and paper maps as backup.
5. Digital Camera and Batteries.
6. Auto emergency gear, including flashlights, fuses, spark plugs, spare cords, and spare batteries.

Back