What are good reading materials for beginning chasers?

Ben Engle

EF1
I have been 'chasing' storms for maybe 3 years. I have a low to moderate knowledge of the broadness of meteorology, but enough to keep me safe when out. What are some good reading materials that I can pick up to learn everything from basic meteorology to advanced forecasting. I need to learn this stuff to become more successful. Thanks!

-Ben Engle
kc0jar

A good reference book is Storm Talk by Tim Marshall. You might contact him to see if some copies are still available. You can PM him here on Stormtrack.

The best part about the book is the extensive chaser glossary, including slang terms you'll see here on ST.

The book was published back in 1995.

mp

Tim V's Weather Forecasting Handbook is an excellent starting place. If you can find it, Severe Local Storms Forecasting Primer by John Sturdivant is quite good. Peter Chaston has also written several books...Weather Basics and Thunderstorms, Tornadoes,and Hail are other good books for the newbie ( you can find them through Weatherwise Magazine).
Angie

Arjen and Jerrine Verkaik's Under The Whirlwind is a really good book for the chaser, going through all manner of basics for storms and tornadoes — and not just for chasing, but also recovery after a tornado, safety, statistics, etc. It's therefore commendable if you live in a tornado-prone area as well. You can get it from their website, http://www.skyartpro.com, or The Tornado Project's store (I don't think Amazon has it any more).

ok, obviously I can get the handbook through that website, but I pm'ed Tim a couple days ago and havent heard back. Any place I can buy a coply of Storm Talk, or anyone that doesnt need an old copy that they'd be willing to sell? thanks alot!

-ben

Originally posted by Ben Engle
ok, obviously I can get the handbook through that website, but I pm'ed Tim a couple days ago and havent heard back. Any place I can buy a coply of Storm Talk, or anyone that doesnt need an old copy that they'd be willing to sell? thanks alot!

-ben
Actually, I think Storm Talk (or one of Tim Marshall's books) is part of the StormTrack 1977–2002 CD-ROM — which would be worth having, anyway. That's still available from here.

Good books to read!

Books read concerning severe weather and meteorology since 8/20/03:

1. A. Title: The Tornado-Natures Ultimate Windstorm
B. Author: Thomas P. Grazulis
C. Number of times read: 7
D. Number of pages contained in book: 289

2. A. Title: Tornado Alley-Monster Storms of the Great Plains
B. Author: Howard B. Bluestein
C. Number of times read: 5
D. Number of pages contained in book: 180

3. A. Title: TORNADOES-Natural Disasters
B. Author: Andrew A. Kling
C. Number of times read: 8
D. Number of pages contained in book: 128

4. A. Title: TWISTER-The Science of Tornados and the making of an adventure movie
B. Author: Keay Davidson
C. Number of times read: 4
D. Number of pages contained in book: 202

5. A. Title: DANGEROUS WEATHER-TORNADOS
B. Author: Michael Allaby
C. Number of times read: 1
D. Number of pages contained in book:

6. A. Title: HURRICANES
B. Author: Sally Lee

7. A. Title: TORNADOES-World Life Library
B. Author: H. Michael Mogil
C. Number of times read: 9
D. Number of pages contained in book: 72

8. A. Title: The EVERYTHING WEATHER BOOK-From daily forecasts to blizzards, hurricanes and tornadoes-all you need to know to be your own meteorologist
B. Author: Mark Cantrell
C. Number of times read: 3
D. Number of pages contained in book: 289

9. A. Title: Tornado Watch #211
B. Author: John Grant Fuller
C. Number of times read: 2
Number of pages contained in book:

10. A. Title: EXTREME CAREERS-Hurricane Hunters and Tornado Chasers-Life in the Eye of the storm
B. Author: Lois Sakany

11. A. Title: Due to the Weather: Ways the Elements Affect Our Lives
B. Author: Abraham Resnick
D. Number of pages contained in book: 220

12. A. Title: Braving the Elements-The Stormy History of American Weather
B. Author: David Laskin
D. Number of pages contained in book: 225

13. A. Title: The Complete Idiot’s Guide to Weather, Second Edition
B. Author: Mel Goldstein
D. Number of pages contained in book: 408

14. A. Title: DANGEROUS WEATHER-HURRICANES
D. Number of pages contained in book: 136

15. A. Title: Weather and Climate
B. Author: Silverstein/Nunn

16. A. Title: The Weather
B. Author: John Lynch

17. A. Title: Weather-Understanding the Forces of Nature
B. Author: Louise Quayle

18. A. Title: The Weather Book-2nd edition revised and updated
B. Author: Jack Williams
D. Number of pages contained in book: 217

19. A. Title: Extreme Weather-a guide and record book
B. Author: Christopher C. Burt
C. Number of times read: 2
D. Number of pages contained in book: 304

20. A. Title: Skies of Fury
B. Author: Patricia Barnes-Svarney+ Thomas E. Svarney

21. A. Title: The Blizzard of ‘88
B. Author: Mary Cable

22. A. Title: DANGEROUS WEATHER-BLIZZARDS
D. Number of pages contained in book: 138

Total number of times all books read: 54 8) :wink:

These are all excellent sources of information concerning severe weather, meteorology, storm chasing, etc.!

There are two really good sources of info I can recommend:

1. Tim V's Forecasting Manual

2. And Haby's website: http://www.theweatherprediction.com/

Between the two of these, you can build a good intermediate to more advanced base of knowledge. The book is relatively inexpensive and that website is full of great info and obviously costs nothing.

A basic understanding of meteorology is essential to storm chasing,
I would suggest reading some introduction to meteorology textbooks.

Yes, understanding as much as you can about Meteorology in general is a conerstone of becoming the best chaser you can be. I would echo Mike's comments and suggest "Meteorology Today by C. Donald Ahrens":

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detai...=glance&s=books

I had the 6th edition back in 1988 when I took my Intro Meteorology course at The University of Western Ontario and loved it. I suspect it is still the best intro book out there - though others may be able to suggest something newer that has surpassed it.

A basic understanding of meteorology is essential to storm chasing,
I would suggest reading some introduction to meteorology textbooks.

Yes, understanding as much as you can about Meteorology in general is a conerstone of becoming the best chaser you can be. I would echo Mike's comments and suggest "Meteorology Today by C. Donald Ahrens":

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detai...=glance&s=books

I had the 6th edition back in 1988 when I took my Intro Meteorology course at The University of Western Ontario and loved it. I suspect it is still the best intro book out there - though others may be able to suggest something newer that has surpassed it.
Frederick Lutgens and Edward Tarbuck's The Atmosphere is pretty good as a general text — about on par with Meteorology Today, I think.

Also essential for aiding the whole visual component of storm chasing is The National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Weather, by David Ludlum (who, incidentally, founded Weatherwise magazine).

And for a sharper focus on severe storms — they are out of print now, but can be obtained secondhand, e.g. at http://www.abebooks.com — is the three-book Thunderstorms: a Social, Scientific, and Technical Documentary, all edited by Edwin Kessler:
1. The Thunderstorm In Human Affairs
2. Instruments and Techniques for Thunderstorm Observation and Analysis
3. Thunderstorm Morphology and Dynamics

Back