WFO Lot downplaying Severe Events?

Dan Cook

EF5
I've always wondered why Chicago NWS has always downplayed possible severe weather events. Example:

The 4 PM HWO only mentions possible severe storms tomorrow, while the newest Day 2 has all of IL in a hatched area for Straight line winds.

http://kamala.cod.edu/il/latest.flus43.KLOT.html

Do other WFO's tend to do this or is this just a Chicago thing?

Since SPC says slight risk it probably isn't too far out of whack for a local office to go that route too...

The HWO goes into more detail but it still says "slight risk" -- remember VERY few people read the HWO and even less the AFD. Most get their forecast from their local TV mets, and it's up to them to deliver severe weather forecasts...

- Rob

It looks like a fairly straightforward discussion to me. Slight risk is slight risk, and they do describe the potential hazards in detail. You can also consider the fact that the updated general forecasts can be more specific as the threat becomes more obvious.

I've always wondered why Chicago NWS has always downplayed possible severe weather events. Example:

The 4 PM HWO only mentions possible severe storms tomorrow, while the newest Day 2 has all of IL in a hatched area for Straight line winds.

http://kamala.cod.edu/il/latest.flus43.KLOT.html

Do other WFO's tend to do this or is this just a Chicago thing?

I don't know about "always," but I have seen it happen. Even a couple times this spring, including 4/20. However KLOT quiickly adapted to the changing conditions as they occurred. At least that's what I've seen. I'm more worried about TV mets downplaying severe weather events. Like today's moderate risk, it is mentioned, but there is not much attention given to the situation's potential seriousness i.e: significant wind/hail event during the afternoon w/ isolated tornadoes.

"I'm more worried about TV mets downplaying severe weather events."

Why would the HWO have an impact on TV mets? If a TV met is a met - he is not getting his severe weather outlook from LOT, he makes his own.

- Rob

I've always wondered why Chicago NWS has always downplayed possible severe weather events.

Because it IS in IL? Sorry, had to get my friendly IL bashing sarcasm in for the day. My IL friends love it. For those IL folks I don't know, it's a joke.

I've always wondered why Chicago NWS has always downplayed possible severe weather events.

Because it IS in IL? Sorry, had to get my friendly IL bashing sarcasm in for the day. My IL friends love it. For those IL folks I don't know, it's a joke.

You, my friend, shall pay. :wink:

Why would the HWO have an impact on TV mets? If a TV met is a met - he is not getting his severe weather outlook from LOT, he makes his own.
I don't think the poster is trying to discuss the effect of the HWOLOT wording on TV mets, but TV mets who downplay severe weather. I don't know of anyone who reads HWOs except for fellow weather-weenies. The public, by and large, gets weather information from the TV and commercial radio, so when broadcast mets dowplay severe weather, the public does too. I'm not trying to get into a discussion of the various ethical decisions TV mets have to make, just clarifying what I interpret the post to be saying.

ben

Back