Webcam/Dashcam/Live stream - 2010 edition

Im currently looking into antenna/boost options. The stream works excellent at home but I have not done an in-field test.

I need to beef up my laptops ram as well. Currently only have 512mb ...

I used TVN before and their 3-application stream configuration was a nightmare on my poor older laptop.

When you look for antenna boost option just use ebay and find a used wilson or cyfre amp and a mag mount antenna. You will notice a diffference the first try out. Just watch long enough and you should be able to score a setup for under a $100.

I have a computer with dual core 2.2 processor and 4 gb of ram and the TVN setup still rough on that computer. I actually had to use Webcam Max with ManyCams to get what I needed to happen so it was a 4-app for me. Definitely bump that ram as high as you can. To be sure you get the right ram use - http://www.crucial.com/index.aspx. They are very good.

After some checking the laptop I have does have an HDMI connection. Should I give that a try? Guess it wouldn't hurt to test it out...see if it works.

And for those who asked, the camera is a SuperSteadyShot HDR-SR11. That what you were asking for?

I'm pretty sure that HDMI port is output only. I could be wrong, but last time I checked there weren't any laptops available with HD tuners.

The SR-11 is a hard drive camcorder and does not support streaming over the USB connection. The USB is for file transfer off the hard drive only. To stream you're going to have to use the camcorder's composite output and get a USB composite video tuner like the EasyCap USB off of Ebay. I have the XR500v and its the same deal. I've looked into using the HDMI output on the camcorder, but I'd need external hardware to get it into the laptop, and then there is no way to stream it out as video at that resolution. I was hoping to just stream high resolution stills, but with the hardware limitations, I'm just streaming through the SD composite output.

Would something like and I-Link cable work? Found one on Sony's website that might work going from the camcorder to laptop. I THINK it will work for streaming...but does anyone know for sure?

EDIT: This is something I found on Ebay. Wondering how well it would work in a storm chase scenario. Sure looks nice though! Is this plausible to use for streaming? Ebay

Last edited by a moderator:
Would something like and I-Link cable work? Found one on Sony's website that might work going from the camcorder to laptop. I THINK it will work for streaming...but does anyone know for sure?

From what I can tell I-Link is just another name for firewire, so that should work. Just make sure you are getting the correct pin connectors. Most laptops and camcorders use 4 pin connectors. Desktops tend to use 6 pin connectors. My bet is you going to need a 4 to 4 connector. BHPhoto.com carries a nice selection.

The Ebay item looks like fun, but just moving the camera around manually seems much easier to me.

ilink is sony's name for firewire aka IEEE most if not all, as you pointed out, that are built in laptops are 4pin. I think all the cameras that have firewire are 4 pin too, all that I saw anyway, so a 4 pin to 4 pin is all you need. Skip the expensive name brands. In most cases the cheap $3-4 dollar ones you can pick up work just as good as the $40-50 ones. Length is really all you need to consider.

This post is somewhat unrelated but I just wanted to say thanks to this forum on the inspiration and technical ideas for my streaming setup. From what I have learned I think I may try streaming this spring when I am out chasing.

Im using an Asus netbook with the Atom processor and a 8 cell battery with a Logitech 9000 HD USB camera and Altell data card mounted on my aicraft to stream live video of us flying with Whooping Cranes. Its pretty cool to be able to show this live - amazing what technology has allowed...
http://www.zaplive.tv/web/omi-trk-01/home

When you look for antenna boost option just use ebay and find a used wilson or cyfre amp and a mag mount antenna. You will notice a diffference the first try out. Just watch long enough and you should be able to score a setup for under a $100.

I have a computer with dual core 2.2 processor and 4 gb of ram and the TVN setup still rough on that computer. I actually had to use Webcam Max with ManyCams to get what I needed to happen so it was a 4-app for me. Definitely bump that ram as high as you can. To be sure you get the right ram use - http://www.crucial.com/index.aspx. They are very good.

Thanks for the site recommendation. Just ordered my upgrade today! From 512mb to 2gb I go - should be more than enough.

Please share with us your setup because I rather use a good webcam with a large sensor in it that I can put in a dome on top of my vehicle.

Please mention the hardware, software, websites, plus and minuses.

Alright, I use the Microsoft HD Cinema Webcam tied into an Acer Aspire 5315 Notebook. The computer is running Vista Home with 1GB of ram on a 1.86Ghz Celeron Processor. Ive got a Delorme Earthmate LT-40 GPS Puck tied in with the Delorme Serial Emulator. I run the GR Level 3 software tied into various ShapeFiles which let me see Street-To-Street where im going. To stay connected and ahead of the storms. I use a UM-175 Starcomm mobile broadband internet card through Verizon. To go with the Internet Card, Ive got an External Antenna which boosts my signal up. I dont know what its called, So ive included a picture at the bottom of this post. On the Inside, I use a NEXTECH 175watt power invertor that runs my laptop and charges my cameras when neccesary. Ive got a Sony A-200 DSLR for shooting and a Sony HDR-FX7 for filming. I have paid for a package through ChaserTV.com and that is who helps Broadcast my stream.

DSC02090-1.jpg

DSC02108956x639.jpg

Link to my website in my signature for my setup. I haven't posted the pics of the camera mount yet. It's a Microsoft Webcam in small dome mounted on top of the vehicle.

Chad where did you get your dome? I'm needing to get one for my roof cam I'm working on.

I was also going to mount a suction cup from my dash but it wouldn't stick, so I used RAM mount, you have to order 1 extra piece and it cost about $50 but you can mount it from the windshield, my camera sits just below the rear view mirror and it works great. I'll add links to the parts that I bought.

here is the mount
http://www.ram-mount.com/CatalogRes...45066045049054054045050051055085/Default.aspx

here is the extra arm
http://www.ram-mount.com/CatalogRes...d/082065077045066045050048049085/Default.aspx

I just got my HD cinema and have to say it's leaps and bounds better looking than my old logitech 4000's. Got it streaming my home cam on my website if anyone wants to see it. There appears to be some tweaking needed on the camera settings. It seems to be doing too much automatic adjusting.

Anyways, I'm ordering the dome today from cleardomes.com soon as I get an email back from them.

I'm using a ebay "Ninja X10" pan and tilt wireless remote control base. Surprisingly this cheap little base is pretty nice with a bit of weight to it. The pan and tilt is a bit slow but really smooth. I think it will work really good for this setup.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm going with a Microsoft HD Cinema webcam also this season. I'm running it through a Toshiba Satellite with Vista Ultimate, 3.0 RAM, and 2.16 GHz Intel processor. I will be running GR3, Microsoft Streets and Trips, Spotter Network, etc. I will be using a Sprint Sierra wireless card for my internet. No external antennae at the moment. I will be streaming on ChaserTV this season. I also use a iGo Anywhere adapter for my laptop and its amazing.....I really struggled with finding an adapter for my laptop, but this has been great.

Back