Webcam/Dashcam/Live stream - 2010 edition

D. Hayes

Funny it's seems the one question you'd think be asked monthly actually isn't. I'd like to make this a inclusive thread on what hardware, software, and websites can get a person online and streaming live video.

With that...
--

I recently bought a new cell phone, Motorola Droid (Verizon) which is based on Google's Android open source OS. I can stream live embedded video with audio by using the free Qik app from the Android Market. I set up an account on www.qik.com and that lets me share, and embed, the live public/live private/archived video. This cost me nothing but my time to set it up.

The phone's 5MP camera works great during daylight but not so good once it starts getting say, half past dawn. You can see a few samples and the occasional live stream on my website. My mount is the Droid car mount bought from Verizon that I drilled a hole in for the camera to see through.

Streaming can be done on any Android phone or iPhone with Qik.com. UStream.com also has an app that does the same thing but I haven't tested it yet.

The bonus of doing this is the Droid has actual GPS (network and/or satellite). Android 2.0 is able to do NEMA output over USB/Bluetooth for GPS tracking. But the Android 2.0 Developers still need to build the app. I've talked to one developer who is planning on this soon as 2.0 makes it to his phone. Last but not least, I need the phone anyways to get internet on my laptop.

--
This isn't the optimum setup by far. Plenty of you run excellent live streaming video on the road. Please share with us your setup because I rather use a good webcam with a large sensor in it that I can put in a dome on top of my vehicle.

Please mention the hardware, software, websites, plus and minuses.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is my set up. I have a Sierria Wireless usb connect card for wireless internet. To that i also have a external antenna. If u are able to tether your cell phone for internet thats good but make sure its unlimited data on the plan because if you are streaming the transfer can get big and pricey. The Lap top I use is a Dell XPS m1210. Its small and light weight and perfect for in the car. I have a 15ft firewire cord that i connect my camcorder and my laptop. The camcorder i use is a Panasonic PV-GS65 miniDV. The Camara mount i use is Filmtools Gripper 115 In-Car Windshield Camera Mount with 4.5" Vacuum Cup. I used to use a HD web cam but i was unable to zoon in with it, so i decided to go with the Camcorder. The software I use to do this is Misrosoft Expressions Encorder. It is also important to show where u are when streaming so use a gps and GPSgate.com. The GPS i use is a BU-353. This is my hardware for streaming Live.

As a place to stream there are a few companies out there u can go with. I stream with severeStudios.com . Its free with a bacis membership. There is also ChaserTV and Ustream, and TVN.

Let me know if u have any other questions. Hope this helps.

Hope to help here, Anyways heres my setup as well

Camera: JVC gr-d796U Mini-DV

Mount: Panavise model 809 mounted on passenger door window

Cable: 5ft iLink (firewire)

GPS: Gosget BU-358

Computer: Toshiba Satellite W/ Windows 7

Internet: (Verizon, to be determined, but either a tethered phone, or a data card and external antenna)

Software: Gpsgate, UStream (maybe severe studios, not sure)

Brain storming all kinds of ideas for streaming. As many of you know I'm not a big fan of the whole thing, even though I do some of it on my own.

I'm at minimal investment right now. A $10 webcam (USB) and use Livestream (formally Mogulus). All of my activities are basically experimental in nature and to try to understand the fascination, and technology surrounding it.

I would consider CTV or SS or even TVN, but what I want would be unique in set-up, and I have yet to really make any good communications with any to see if they are interested in my ideas. I am not looking to do streaming like anyone else, so that in itself may mean I never do want I really want.

2010 will be the year I decide once and for all if streaming is right for me, and if I can do what I want. Revenue is a big factor. Like Shane's been barking at lately...I'd rather just chase, but I'm still exploring the technology side too. Revenue must go along, because it does totally distract the chaser from chasing by various degrees, even if it benefits the non-chasing observers. So if I stream, I want it to pay me to some degree (even if it isn't necessary profitable).

I was looking a the VLC media player this morning. It is capable of doing streaming as well. Is there anything that neat little program cannot do? Has anybody used this as a resource; or is there a better protocol for streaming?

For some odd reason the forum won't allow me to edit my original post to add this bit.

I just wanted to say that I just tested the updated UStream client for Android v2.01 and have to say the quality is pretty bad. Sure it's fast but there's no point if it looks like garbage. I checked all the settings and they are set to High Quality. Here's a comparison between the two current streaming clients for Android phones on a Motorola Droid. With the flood of android phones upon us I hope this helps someone out.

Both Full size cropped max quality jpg.

UStream-
Ustream1.jpg

Qik-
Qik1.jpg

I have a Sony Handycam 10.2MP HD camera and the last couple weeks i've been trying to find a USB that goes from the camera to our Toshiba Satellite laptop for the streaming (I have an account at Severe Studios). Anyone know where I can look? I've tried sony's site to no success

I have a Sony Handycam 10.2MP HD camera and the last couple weeks i've been trying to find a USB that goes from the camera to our Toshiba Satellite laptop for the streaming.

A 10MP camera is nice, but unless you’re sitting at home using some fast cable internet you not going to be able to stream anything near that. You’re just not going to have good enough internet connection to make that happen. To have a smooth flowing video I was using settings along these lines most of the year: 8fps, 320x240 pix at 35 kbps (with the adobe media encoder). I know there are others out there that are able to stream at better quality than that, which is why I am switching to a data card this year, but it will not improve it that much.

You are going to have another problem trying to stream HD. First I would recommend getting a firewire. I don’t think you are going to be able to stream with that camera through USB. There is the second problem. I have a Canon HV-20 (non streaming cam). When you hook it up to firewire the computer will recognize the camera if it is set to HD, but it is not a usable format by most programs (if any). You have to set it the output to SD. I don’t know if this is a problem everyone has, but driver support is just not there to make it happen from what I have seen.

I am just using my old SD camera (Canon Elura 70) for streaming, which can put out a great image, but most of the time the stream is going to look alot like the images D. Hayes posted above due to the downgrading necessary for a smooth flow. Ustream is a pretty good service, but I constantly had issue when I tested in the field. Also if you use a camera like the Elura 70, you cannot have a tape in the camera or it wants to turn off the camera every few minutes (which royally screwed me because I would have had an amazing stream of the April 29 tornadoes, but when the action got going I gave up on it and missed a golden opportunity.) The stream is always my last priority when it hits the fan (since I generally chase solo and care more about seeing the tornado myself than if the people watching do).

Streaming through the Adobe Video Encoder has turned out to be very stable for me. To stream I have to have 4 programs open. Most setups are not that bad, but make sure your computer is up to the task considering everything else you will have open (GR3, GPS, Firefox/Explorer, etc..). To keep the camera powered up all the time, plug it into a power strip that is connected to an inverter (400 watt wired to the battery works well for me). Also make sure your firewire cable is long enough for what you need (and buy a good one, because I bought a cheapo to start off and it just didn’t work. You get what you pay for).

Most important thing: Get everything setup and test it out often before the season begins. It will save you headaches later on. Test everything. Then test it again. And again.

For my streaming I am using my old 8mm Sony Handycam. The 8mm drive is broken, and I noticed the camera has a 'USB streaming' Icon on the side and sure enough was a built in option and works easily, this at least gives the camera a good functioning purpose and saved me the troubles of seeking other options.

Pictured here below with the windshield mount from filmtools.com
4748_83180288806_530973806_2002497_5042467_n.jpg

For internet I use only a Sierra wireless 875 air card through AT&T. Im currently looking into antenna/boost options. The stream works excellent at home but I have not done an in-field test.

I need to beef up my laptops ram as well. Currently only have 512mb which is enough to handle the stream but I'm thinking that wont be enough once I have GR3, streets and trips, spotter network and all that stuff running.

I chose to go with ChaserTV because their setup is by far the easiest. Adobe encoder and thats it. I used TVN before and their 3-application stream configuration was a nightmare on my poor older laptop.

You are going to have another problem trying to stream HD. First I would recommend getting a firewire. I don’t think you are going to be able to stream with that camera through USB. There is the second problem. I have a Canon HV-20 (non streaming cam). When you hook it up to firewire the computer will recognize the camera if it is set to HD, but it is not a usable format by most programs (if any). You have to set it the output to SD. I don’t know if this is a problem everyone has, but driver support is just not there to make it happen from what I have seen.

I Agree with Wesley here about trying to stream in HD. I tried it at first with a Panasonic HDC-SD1 connecting to my laptop via usb cord since no camcorder in HD that i know of has firewire set up, they only have the HDMI hookup which does not connect to most computers for live stream. Howevere, some of the newer computers do have an HDMI input but i have not tried this out yet with streaming live and testing the transfer rate with a data card. Overall, my results i found by streaming a HD camcorder by a usb to be used as a web cam was that the video was alot slower and more choppy when I streamed live. And also it may look good at home with a fist internet connecttion but once you get in the feild using a data card the transfer will be much slower for usb making it choppy.

I would recommend like Wes did about getting a SD or MiniDV camcorder with firewire because the video streaming is alot more clear and smooth then going usb. This is why most people go with this time of setup to stream. And if you want to get the best HD like picture get a camcorder with 3ccd. The larger the optical sensor size the better quality you will get (1/4 and or 1/3 would be best, 1/6 is usable though).

I know since HD camcoders are becoming more popular some newer models may one day be able to support the format to make it usable and with the newer computers with HDMI inputs could be great. Please let me know if anyone has tried the HDMI connection into the new laptops with the HDMI input for strewaming live. would like to know how it compares to firewire. Hope this helps

Both my HD camcorders (SONY FX-1, and HC3) have firewire.
I have used the HC3 to stream, but I set the output to be in SD. I can't imagine the bandwidth to get a good quality full HD video stream. I'll stick with SD for now until the new 15G network is fully operational all over the place.

There is a device you can rent online for a cool $2,500.00 per month that will allow you to reach HD quality via 8 data cards used in tandem.
I think other chasers would be ready to hunt you down though for taking up 8 chasers-worth of bandwidth!
CTV did some testing in HD recently for a customer and, while successful, it's only feasible for those corp customers who can afford the equipment and the bandwidth to make it happen.

After some checking the laptop I have does have an HDMI connection. Should I give that a try? Guess it wouldn't hurt to test it out...see if it works.

And for those who asked, the camera is a SuperSteadyShot HDR-SR11. That what you were asking for?

I use a Sony HC36 miniDV with firewire connection. One thing to point out is that firewire is dedicated 400mbps so the upload stream into the laptop does not have to share usb bandwidth with the datacard. Because video stream becomes encoded in the laptop and then only has to go one-way outbound to the internet through the datacard, choppiness is less likely if not eliminated depending on the quality of the data service.

I use a Verizon UM150 data card with a +9db external mag mount antenna.

I started experimenting with streaming back in early 2008 and at the time I decided instead of investing in an expensive dash/window camera mount I would experiment first with something more simpler. I created a self-made dash mount by mating an inexpensive suction cup GPS mount with the header of cheap consumer tabletop tripod. Total cost: $30 The result is shown in the following pictures:

dashcam-1.jpg

dashcam-2.jpg

The result was so impressive that I used it all year in 2009 and will continue to do so until it breaks.

Because I stream with Severe Studios, I am using MS Expression Encoder 2.1 for my encoder. (Expression Encoder 3 is available but I am still doing trial runs with it). It is vastly improved over WME and very stable. Expression's look and feel is "similar" to Adobe FME making it simpler to use and configure. It's multi-video source feature allows me to hook up multiple cameras simultaneously, and switch back and forth between them on the fly with one click while streaming (one streaming camera at a time), and I have experimented with having an additional webcam connected and it works great. This feature is great if you want to have a second camcorder or webcam facing out the back or side windows (or at your face ;) ) and switch to it when needed.

My laptop is a dual core 2.2, with 4Gb ram, so loading it up with GRL3, SN, Streets and Trips, Skype, and other various chat/IM apps is handled well. Bumping up RAM is the single most important thing you need to do.

Whether or not you want to get distracted by all these features while chasing is a matter of personal choice. The goal here is to enjoy the chase and not get overwhelmed by all the technology.

Back