MN just passed a hand free law for cell phone usage.

Minnesota just passed a new law pretty much banning using a cell phone while driving unless it is hands free. One of the things that caught my eye was one of the parts of the law about live streaming.

https://dps.mn.gov/DIVISIONS/OTS/HANDS-FREE/Pages/default.aspx

You may not hold your phone in your hand. Also, a driver may not use their phone at any time for video calling, video live-streaming, Snapchat, gaming, looking at video or photos stored on the phone, using apps, reading texts and scrolling or typing on the phone.

The new law goes into effect on August 1st.

One of the things that I found a few years ago when I saw this coming and wanted to get away from using a laptop while driving is The Pumpkin. https://www.autopumpkin.com

What are they? Replacement radios that are pretty much an android tablet car audio system. It replaces your factory radio so the equipment is legal (pushing the limits) since it is part of the vehicle and you can use pretty much every Android app with it. Not sure how well they work with newer vehicles that use the car audio head units as pretty much part of the computer system but for my Jeep it works great.

This can only be a good thing from the point of view of driving safety - numerous studies have shown what a distraction hand-held phones are - and texting whilst driving? That's just plain idiotic.

Minnesota just passed a new law pretty much banning using a cell phone while driving unless it is hands free. One of the things that caught my eye was one of the parts of the law about live streaming.

Hands-Free - Hands-Free Law

You may not hold your phone in your hand. Also, a driver may not use their phone at any time for video calling, video live-streaming, Snapchat, gaming, looking at video or photos stored on the phone, using apps, reading texts and scrolling or typing on the phone.

The new law goes into effect on August 1st.

One of the things that I found a few years ago when I saw this coming and wanted to get away from using a laptop while driving is The Pumpkin. Android Car Stereo | Android Car Radio | Car DVD Player | Pumpkin

What are they? Replacement radios that are pretty much an android tablet car audio system. It replaces your factory radio so the equipment is legal (pushing the limits) since it is part of the vehicle and you can use pretty much every Android app with it. Not sure how well they work with newer vehicles that use the car audio head units as pretty much part of the computer system but for my Jeep it works great.
I still think this is a good law, if you think about it its not like your streaming with your hands you should use a phone mount or something. The only times I see you using your hands while live streaming is when you are getting out to look at a storm or adjusting the camera to show a storm. I really think it will not be that much of a issue as long as you are going slow/stopped. Especially during a tornado or severe weather event, that will be the least of peoples worries.

I still think this is a good law, if you think about it its not like your streaming with your hands you should use a phone mount or something. The only times I see you using your hands while live streaming is when you are getting out to look at a storm or adjusting the camera to show a storm. I really think it will not be that much of a issue as long as you are going slow/stopped. Especially during a tornado or severe weather event, that will be the least of peoples worries.
But the Minnesota law says the driver may not USE their phone... Also, a driver may not use their phone at any time for video calling, video live-streaming,...

But the Minnesota law says the driver may not USE their phone... Also, a driver may not use their phone at any time for video calling, video live-streaming,...

It may not say this specifically but I am a 100% sure that you would be allowed to control the live stream if your not moving. And when your moving, as long as you don't touch the live streaming device, i don't see how that can be a problem. I would say keep the live stream rolling as you drive but adjust the camera when your stopped. The law is not meant to be aimed at storm spotters who want to document a phenomenon live, Its meant to prevent people from streaming to facebook, instagram, etc. and talking to their friends about how fun coachella was. As long as your not touching the camera, and you have it mounted, streaming in your car is no different than what a dash cam does.

Being FROM mINNESOT

It went into effect today, and from talking with many in LE their really focused on the phone visible in hand and not a dash camera mounted. you make good correct points on this law Douglas Kiesling.

Back