Weather Conference 2020

The main obstacles with weather/storm conferences tend to be distance/location and cost.

If there was a local conference, anywhere in or near Oklahoma City would be a prime location. For starters, it's in the heart of tornado alley, but it's near a major meteorology program, the Storm Prediction Center is right here and so is the Norman National Weather Service forecast office. There would be no shortage of potential attendees (which can be a limiting factor when organizing a conference, which I've been part of before) and the same goes for speakers/presenters.

You would no doubt get some people to travel to a weather conference in the Oklahoma City area, to speak/present and attend, but you'd have a great local source of talent and general interest.

I don't see why I would not support such a conference, especially since with it being here, the local attendees would not have to worry about hotel costs. While conferences are great, not a lot of people can dish out $100-150 dollars per night for a room. (it is less if you book with a group, of course)

The timing is good too, because weather would probably not negatively impact the conference and it's a great way to kick-start a year, as it would fall only about a month or so before the storm season starts to ramp up.

If it were in OKC though, why not break the President's Day Weekend tradition and have it at another time of year? Summer. Fall. Late year Winter. I'm just kinda over any and everything that's been associated with Chasercon. This needs to be unique, or it will fail.

I'd be game for something in the Fall. Favorite time of year, and I'm always able to chunk something into the schedule, even if it might take me away from eastern Second Season activities.

Agree on fall, as I mentioned above Feb has potential disruption to air travel from winter storms. It’s also roughly halfway between chase seasons so something to look forward to during the long gap between chase vacations. IF Chasercon were to continue, there would be enough time between conferences so that they could potentially both be viable. Just a personal matter but Feb is much busier for me at work so doubt I could miss even the one business day required with the travel and all. Then again, Sep is my wife’s b-day so would have to hope it’s not the same weekend 😏

I would think a fall conference would be too short notice for year 1. Maybe year 2? I had pretty good success with my party when I held it the weekend OU was away around Halloween.

Back