Update Regarding Hosting Situation

Steve Miller

Owner Emeritus
Staff member
Supporter
I have been very tied up for the past 10 days or so and have not, until now, had an opportunity to address the hosting situation as well as thank those who are knee deep in it.
As of last check, since launch, ST has experienced a total downtime of 74 hours with the majority of those occurring in the past 10 days. This is completely unacceptable and regardless of guarantees by the current host, Stormtrack will be changing providers.

My initial plan was to put ST in the cloud to accomplish both scalability and dependability and I should have but ended up going with a more localized host. This host experienced a catastrophic hardware failure and the failover I purchased for the site either did not work properly or never existed. I'm unsure at this point.

Stormtrack has a new home being built and tested in the Amazon EC2 cloud network. This is an extremely reliable, secure system that should guarantee us as near to 100% uptime as feasibly possible. Yes, this route will be quite a bit more expensive as the site continues to grow in content and media, as well as members and followers. @Todd Rector @Mark Blue and @Ben Holcomb are spearheading the server change and are about halfway finished with the task. Once it's finished, we will invite some people to come try and break it. When any issues are resolved, we will turn on the EC2 instances, change DNS, and ST will run better than ever.
Now, all of this said, ST will not be changing. It will look and feel the same, it'll just be served from a different place. I might have a surprise for everyone up my sleeve that we could not add with the old host. Wait and see on that...

Anyway, I cannot thank ALL of the ST staff enough for their hard work and the membership for your understanding. We are getting things squared away in the background and performing constant back-ups of your content to ensure no loss occurs. So post confidently!

I'll update again in the near term.

We are still on track to move ST into the cloud in the near term. Aside from some bandwidth concerns on the part of our host, we have operated efficiently for a couple weeks now. I think we are in good working order to get us through the next bout with severe weather, then hopefully after that we can get the site moved. This will not interrupt your use of the site and regular back-ups are being made to ensure your content is safe should another failure occur. Thank you to the ST Staff for putting in the long hours necessary to facilitate this move - during storm season of all times!

Let's talk about some numbers real quick.
Last Saturday was the biggest single page hit day in the past 6 years, including May 31, 2013, May 20, 2013. On Saturday alone we served 745,917 pages to viewers to the tune of 32.34gb of data transfer. I can't thank everyone enough for reestablishing Stormtrack as the place to be to talk about chasing and severe weather. In February when we launched the new site I would have never guessed we'd be pulling in numbers like this. Please keep up the contributing and sharing of content here at ST and we'll keep working in the background to ensure this place is scaleable for any amount of traffic!

I'm excited to announce ST will be upgraded this week! We will have a cut-over date and time for you soon.
The primary difference is the site in its entirety will be hosted from the Amazon Cloud. This will increase the overall speed of the site and absolutely ensure uptime. As most of you know, we have had some hosting issues over the past three months and we will be abandoning that service in favor of the cloud. That said, a TON of work has been happening in the background and Stormtrack will be a trend-setter in the Xenforo (our forum platform) community as we are one of the first to enter the cloud on this complex forum system. Kudos to Mark, who has managed the project, Todd, Ben and the crew for all the hard work.

In addition, a new chat service will be introduced that will change the way we communicate here on the board. This chat was implemented during the early Alpha stages of the new Stormtrack but proved too powerful for our host to handle, so with the cloud's scalability, we will be able to bring that chat and all it's capabilities back online for everyone to use. Along with the new chat platform will come moderation within chat that will make for a smoother experience for all users.

Even more plans are in the hopper and the idea of bringing Stormtrack back from the brink of death to where we are today is what drives us to improve. Please keep posting and sharing content and we'll keep building!

Stormtrack is now coming to you direct from the Amazon Cloud. We hope you will find things to be a lot faster and much more reliable. As I have harped on all along, the ST Staff has been outstanding, and I want to extend a special thank you to Mark Blue for his hard work and dedication to this project.
For some of you the DNS might not have propagated quite yet so give us another 24 hours before worrying about SSL errors and such. Until then, enjoy the faster board and the new chat. Plans are already underway for our next update!

If anyone is still having trouble with the SSL cert using mobile browsers like Chrome, I feel your pain. I've had to clear my browsing history and cache followed by a reboot to mostly clear it up. There are still some niggly issues with it, so please bear with us as we sort it out.

Otherwise thanks for the patience you have extended us to bring Stormtrack to a new level. All of the hard work is for you to enjoy the time you spend here and the future has even more improvements on the way!

@Mark Blue - Chrome is much more picky than many other browsers and was choking on a missing chaining certificate in our SSL config. I added it at 3:30 this morning, so after clearing cache you should not see any SSL errors. If you do, please let me know!

@Drew T - There is actually nothing wrong with a browser being picky about SSL, but it keeps system admins on their toes because it will complain about config issues when no other browser does. Simple fix on our end, though.

Back