Twitter/X revised TOS causing a stir

X updated their TOS to include a not-uncommon far-reaching rights grab for content and a mandatory inclusion in the platform’s AI training, among other things. It’s causing quite an uproar in the weather community.

Now’s a great time to give Stormtrack a plug! It’s the solution to all of this if even just part of that community tried coming here.

I woke up the other day to my phone exploding due to a mass increase in my follower count on Bluesky. I went from exactly 200 followers I think on Wednesday evening to 309 as of this posting. Nearly all of them look like familiar names from X.

I guess my most prominent thought on this is...*this* is what it took some people to leave that site???

Stormtrack: exists for 50 years and struggles to attract users. Bluesky: pops up overnight and a third of wxtwitter signs up to to it. Is there a codebase for a turnkey social network? Maybe ST should default to a social network format and keep the forum as a secondary? Unless there's some other reason people avoid it that I'm missing.

Stormtrack: exists for 50 years and struggles to attract users. Bluesky: pops up overnight and a third of wxtwitter signs up to to it. Is there a codebase for a turnkey social network? Maybe ST should default to a social network format and keep the forum as a secondary? Unless there's some other reason people avoid it that I'm missing.
The staff periodically discusses making Stormtrack more like a social media site. But things get messy in a hurry and with small staffing and no/limited income, it becomes intractable.

Bluesky has been around for awhile, and Jack Dorsey’s involvement probably has more to do with its rapid rise than any out-of-the-box code base. What Is Bluesky, and How Is It Different From Twitter?

I think we should appreciate Stormtrack for what it is - a smaller community, but a quality one, that goes deeper with quality, long-form, curated content. We would lose all or most of that as a social media network.

They may open accounts on Bluesky but at the end of the day they'll all still be on Twitter/X because that's where the "fans" are, and the fans won't follow because it's hard to migrate an audience to a totally new platform.

I'm with Jim on this one. Enjoy ST for what it is and who's here. If it's everyone else who isn't here that is desired, then it's probably best to spend time where they are and enjoy that platform for what it is as well.

Back