Twister sequel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like the original, it will probably be fun, yet over the top. I’ll watch it once or twice, then I’m good. Discovery’s Storm Chasers is what got the fire going for me getting into storm chasing and not so much Twister. While the Discovery show had fabricated drama for viewership, it was more authentic to chasing (except for the driving armored “tanks” into tornadoes part, which applies to most chasers).

I can't say I'm very excited about it, but I think it's more about me than the movie itself. I'm in a much different place in life than I was 28 years ago and the newness of chasing has long worn off, so the experience of seeing something new and different will most likely not be there like it was for the first movie. With that and most remakes or "re-imagined" movies in the last 15 years or so falling far short of the originals because they tend to focus more on the visual aspect and lack in story (except for Top Gun: Maverick - that was well done) I tend not to get my hopes too high.

I'll probably wait for it to come to streaming, but once it's released I'll give it a watch.

I can't help but worry that this is going to introduce millions of new people to an already crowded hobby, but at the same time I know that we can't just gatekeep something this special to ourselves. Twister was one of my favorite movies growing up, and really introduced me to the possibility of storm chasing. 20 years later, I made my first trip to the Great Plains. In 2023 I saw my first tornado - the EF4 event in Didsbury, Alberta. These are amazing experiences that I think everyone should have the opportunity to have, as long as they are responsible about it. My only hope is that this new generation of weather enthusiasts takes the effort to properly learn about storm chasing and doesn't just emulate what they see in the movie, on Twitter, or YouTube.

I can't help but worry that this is going to introduce millions of new people to an already crowded hobby, but at the same time I know that we can't just gatekeep something this special to ourselves. Twister was one of my favorite movies growing up, and really introduced me to the possibility of storm chasing. 20 years later, I made my first trip to the Great Plains. In 2023 I saw my first tornado - the EF4 event in Didsbury, Alberta. These are amazing experiences that I think everyone should have the opportunity to have, as long as they are responsible about it. My only hope is that this new generation of weather enthusiasts takes the effort to properly learn about storm chasing and doesn't just emulate what they see in the movie, on Twitter, or YouTube.
I have become less concerned about this. With the original Twister, it was many people’s first exposure to storm chasing, who didn’t know it existed up until the movie came out. But with social media and other movies giving storm chasing exposure, I don’t think it will inspire nearly as many people as the original. I could be wrong though.

New shot of the "Twins".

Considering in the first shot, the smaller tornado was on the right but in this newer one it's on the left, it might actually be a satellite tornado orbiting around the larger funnel.

Attachments

• Twisters TV Spot - Feb 2024 0-23 screenshot.png
    Twisters TV Spot - Feb 2024 0-23 screenshot.png
    976.2 KB · Views: 7
The tornado in the main movie poster looks a lot like McCook, Nebraska on May 17, 2019. It would be interesting to hear a "behind the scenes" interview on which events inspired the different depictions.

I wonder if the folks who did the CGI for this film might actually be helpful for science--see here:

"Computer graphic simulations can represent natural phenomena such as tornados, underwater, vortices, and liquid foams more accurately thanks to an advancement in creating artificial intelligence (AI) neural networks."

I am seeing reports on X that Twisters is raising eyebrows at CinemaCon. A new extended trailer that is said to be coming out soon premiered at the event.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back