Tropical storm (err, hurricane!) Vince heading for Europe?

Here is one cool pic of Vince:

tropicalstorm8qh.jpg

Maybe someone of you have any statistics about hurricanes or tropical storms so close to Europe or in Europe? Thanks.

-Marko

In Cazatormentas.Net we have changed our main page for VINCE, now a Tropical Storm, which is predicted to reach the Iberian Peninsula tomorrow. Clicking over the image in the main page, you will see a topic in which members are monitoring the evolution of VINCE. Very interesting!

It's so incredible to see a hurricane near of my country... :shock: ! I can't believe it!

www.cazatormentas.net

I think, if possible, we should take an edited version of that picture and make it the Stormtrack logo for a little while, since a storm in that area is so rare.

Just a thought! :)

Jason

Spain and, in general, the Iberian Peninsula, has been reached by low systems with tropical origins. But I think (I can not assure it) this is the first time a pure tropical system reaches Iberia, if VINCE reaches it with tropical characteristics...

VINCE is still a Tropical Storm and it's moving to the Cadiz Gulf :shock: It's incredible because a movement to Portugal, even Galicia, was predicted and it has moved to the east, not to the NE or NNE :)

Spanish forums are a bomb this evening :shock: !!!

This has given me a new hope regarding the possibility of a tropical cyclone forming in the eastern Mediterranean :D the sea temperature is definately not a problem with 30C in August-September. And now the latitude may not be a problem anymore :D

Does anyone know why all of the the NHC graphics for Vince remain 'zoomed out' to show the entire Atlantic, rather than zoomed/centered on the storm itself? The storm's track/projected path cone have always been on the edges of the map, to the point of even being covered up by other things on the fringes of the map. I'm guessing this is to show the relative position to the USA but I wasn't sure.

This has given me a new hope regarding the possibility of a tropical cyclone forming in the eastern Mediterranean :D the sea temperature is definately not a problem with 30C in August-September. And now the latitude may not be a problem anymore :D

Got this from Wikipedia, David (probably not the best source of information:)

Mediterranean Sea: Storms which appear similar to tropical cyclones in structure sometimes occur in the Mediterranean basin. Such cyclones formed in September 1947, September 1969, January 1982, September 1983, and January 1995. However, there is debate on whether these storms were tropical in nature.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurricane

Pat

Looks like Vince will be hitting Portugal, Spain, and Morocco as a tropical storm, according to the NHC. That is one thing I never thought I would see. I guess some European weather weenie's wish has come true. :D

David Shohami,
here is an Italian site about such cyclones in Mediteranean, they're called TLC (Tropical Like Cyclones I guess): http://www.fenomenitemporaleschi.it/page18c.htm
It's in Italian language, but you can translate it somehow with online translators :wink:

Aaron,
I found it on one forum...unfortunatelly there wasn't any link besides, just an attached pic, so I really don't know where to find it sorry :oops:

-Marko

Back