Tornado Warned Supercell With Brief Funnel - Mankato, Minnesota - August 5, 2024

Watched the local news broadcast at 6 AM. The meteorologist said there would be shear today, but due to the fact that it was supposed to be overcast, he figured the chance of anything severe developing would be low. Left to stop at my mothers at approximately 4:45 PM. Zero watches/warnings posted. On the way there, I noticed the shear. When I arrived 15 minutes later, a tornado watch had been issued.

Checked the radar and noticed storms developing just west of Mankato, so I headed back home.

When I realized a funnel was developing, I considered zooming in. Decided against that because the last time I did that while filming a wall cloud, it blurred the entire video. Found a feature on my video editing software called fisheye. It's slightly distorts the video, but does zoom in to give a better picture of what was going on.

Wish I could include a larger version, but anything above small, exceeds the limits @ ImageBam

Back