• A friendly and periodic reminder of the rules we use for fostering high SNR and quality conversation and interaction at Stormtrack: Forum rules

P.S. - Nothing specific happened to prompt this message! No one is in trouble, there are no flame wars in effect, nor any inappropriate conversation ongoing. This is being posted sitewide as a casual refresher.

Tornado Princeton Kansas June 20, 2009

Wayne A.

EF0
This tornado made the National Weather Service website in Topeka KansasTornadoes in East Central Kansas June 2009 - NWS Topeka, KS. This was my first forecast after graduating and had told storm chaser Randy Cooper that a tornado would likely form that day near or south of Ottawa Kansas. I was watching the radar of the east coast that day when storm chaser Randy Cooper called me and said hey did you know there is a tornado south of Lawrence? I raced down and core busted the storm to nail this picturetornado.png of the tornado near Princeton Kansas.

I have video of that tornado, and I confirmed it with the Topeka office. I told them i couldn't see any debris, but it was so low to the ground, it had to be touching.

Wayne, do you have a date for this tornado?
June 20, 2009. The picture was not exactly how it actually looked. I had opened the light up all the way on the camera and it made the picture look different from what it was. The NWS asked a lot of questions to see if I was actually there. Finally, Scott from Topeka NWS said you bagged an EF-0.

June 20, 2009. The picture was not exactly how it actually looked. I had opened the light up all the way on the camera and it made the picture look different from what it was. The NWS asked a lot of questions to see if I was actually there. Finally, Scott from Topeka NWS said you bagged an EF-0.
I was on the phone with Douglas County Emergency Management spotters just after I shot the picture.

This tornado made the National Weather Service website in Topeka KansasTornadoes in East Central Kansas June 2009 - NWS Topeka, KS. This was my first forecast after graduating and had told storm chaser Randy Cooper that a tornado would likely form that day near or south of Ottawa Kansas. I was watching the radar of the east coast that day when storm chaser Randy Cooper called me and said hey did you know there is a tornado south of Lawrence? I raced down and core busted the storm to nail this pictureView attachment 23009 of the tornado near Princeton Kansas.

@Wayne A. I couldn't get your link to work, but it looks like the page is here:

Back