Too Much Hype?

Did the media over hype Katrina?

• Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Yeah, since it took so long (half a day) for the media to really get in gear and be able to present the big picture, a lot of us got lulled into believing that the worst had not come to pass. After all, reporters were still walking down a perfectly dry and clear Bourbon Street within moments of the wind and rain passing, so it couldn't be that bad, right? Of course, once the footage started coming in a few hours later, we realized the horrible truth.

I agree...I didn't think it was that bad in the immediate aftermath. I guess we all found out otherwise, didn't we?

Yah me too it took awhile for the scale of it to sink in. Now I relize that this is just horrible. Very bad situation down there. I pray that they can straiting things out fast.

Not only did it a take awhile for the damage to become clear, New Orleans wasn't flooded yesterday. It wasn't even flooded last night. Its flooded now and still flooding. The worst case scenario for New Orleans is now unfolding.

I knew today would reveal a different picture. The same thing happened with Andrew in Miami. Everyone felt relieved because Miami escaped severe damage, but then.... they looked to their neighbors to the south. A very different picture. The flooding makes this one so much worse than Andrew.

The flooding in New Orleans today... now that was totally unexpected. I worried about the Mississippi's level rising, but I didn't expect New Orleans to get hammered today.

Not only did it a take awhile for the damage to become clear, New Orleans wasn't flooded yesterday. It wasn't even flooded last night. Its flooded now and still flooding. The worst case scenario for New Orleans is now unfolding.

This is true...in some ways, this is like the World Trade Center attacks. We saw the airplanes go in, and we were horrified because we knew the fate of those in the planes and those who were above the point of impact in each tower. Then our horror turned to disbelief when we saw the South Tower collapse. We knew that in that moment, many people had just lost their lives.

In the same way, the initial shock of this event has given way to horror as we realize that many people will lose their lives, and there isn't much we can do about it. The only thing we can do is pray that God is merciful.

Gabe

Remember - hype means you exaggerate or mislead people. I don't know if you can say anyone went overboard in coverage or warning those ahead of time, so I'm not sure how people can say this was "hyped" or especially "overhyped"!

Back