• A friendly and periodic reminder of the rules we use for fostering high SNR and quality conversation and interaction at Stormtrack: Forum rules

P.S. - Nothing specific happened to prompt this message! No one is in trouble, there are no flame wars in effect, nor any inappropriate conversation ongoing. This is being posted sitewide as a casual refresher.

TIV1 coming out of retirement?

CHASE ONE: Storm Chasing | Facebook K, so, kind of a funny haha type of story. Facebook links? They suck. I was able to find the specific post from Clayton that I mentioned, but for some reason I'm unable to link it by itself rather than the whole page. Either Facebook lacks that feature, or I just don't know how to use it. Either way, it's there: you're gonna have to scroll down though to find it. It's dated October 17th, for reference.

Anyone else thinking Ship of Theseus here? If the thing gets completely rebuilt from scratch, is it really the first TIV anymore?
Never have tbh. Interesting thought, but I still don't. End of the day, the vehicle is just getting an interior remodeling (which I assume simply means new seats (Clayton did say so himself in his video for the driver's seat since he's kind of a hefty guy), possibly in a different arrangement compared to before), new anchors, ditching the big black door at the back which wasn't there when it was originally built, a new paint job and a new engine. I'd say it's mostly still the same, especially if the soul of the vehicle is still there, which, as far as I'm concerned, it is. :)

Anyone know whatever happened to Sean? All of his social media stopped in 2018, and we haven't heard anything since TIV 2 was purchased... and how did this whole scavenger hunt come to be? Why not sell TIV 1 as well?
He's still making films. Last I heard, he's working on three new projects: "Firefighters", "Saving our Seas", and "Surf or Die", the titles of which all should be pretty self-explanatory, but I'll leave a link to where I saw this. Sean Casey | Tourism Victoria

I wouldn't know much about his social media, since it seems he was most active on Facebook which I don't have, but someone mentioned earlier in this thread that he was talking with some guys online, and he mentioned how he bought a new Ram 3500 which would presumably become TIV 3. This was two years ago btw. So, maybe he's not actively posting, per say, but maybe he's been replying to or in private messages with other people? If Facebook has a similar feature to Twitter where you can check their posts and replies, maybe take a look at that if you haven't already.

Lastly, I can only assume he did the scavenger hunt for TIV 1 rather than outright selling it because, unlike TIV 2 which he had the whole time until he sold it, TIV 1 he just left on some guy's farm in Kansas and never went back for it. I don't know; guess it was just more fun that way.

Either way, they can withstand very high winds until the aerodynamic downforces are disrupted by flying debris (e.g., telephone poles, other vehicles or building materials) and the vehicle / occupants are hurled away. Using them for hail protection, against weak landspouts, as a last resort or for drama they are great, but not for actually trying to penetrate a violent tornado. I think it's important people realize this -- it's not safe to ride out a tornado in a vehicle. When Phil Henry built the first TIV in the mid-90's, we discussed this at great length, to avoid being over confident.
So you're the Warren that Phil linked on his website. That's cool.

I had no idea that there was a TIV built in the 90s. I looked on his site (like I originally said) and it mentioned how he built a "storm chase pursuit vehicle" for the May 1994 edition of the Car and Driver magazine. Never saw the actual article, but I did see a lot of pictures on his site of some Hummer truck that he and his wife were posing with. Was that it?

Seabreachers won't have to woory about shingles at least.

I wonder if a waterspout might attract fish to the surface---the low causing stuff to bubble up that fish follow---there is your line of research.

So you're the Warren that Phil linked on his website. That's cool.

I had no idea that there was a TIV built in the 90s. I looked on his site (like I originally said) and it mentioned how he built a "storm chase pursuit vehicle" for the May 1994 edition of the Car and Driver magazine. Never saw the actual article, but I did see a lot of pictures on his site of some Hummer truck that he and his wife were posing with. Was that it?

Hi, yes.

Phil built the first vehicle I know of that was fortified for chasing. I later modified my first Xterra with a roll cage, door panels and ballistic window coverings.

My understanding is that many of the top chasers are going to go full-bore live on You Tube next year, some with multiple chase vehicles in the field, as Ryan does. For those new to chasing, this is a just an unfortunate reloading of the aggressive, competitive chasing we witnessed several years ago that lead to deaths. (I'll start a new thread on this).

Back