TIV: Two Tornado Intercepts Already?

Well - having only worked with them for 8 weeks, I don't carry much weight, but.....

FWIW Sean Casey is an awesome guy with a big heart and a priceless sense of humor. Most of the time, on the road, his jokes are aimed at himself. He recently became a dad (yey Sean!), and he doesn't take the storm-chasing life TOO seriously, from what I can see (a healthy trait to have).

What his objectives are NOW I can't pass judgment on - because I only had the pleasure of working alongside him in 2002 - but back in 2002 and through at least 2003 - I know his sole purpose was to get *close* to big tornadoes - but not in them. Before his attempts, there had been little *great* large-format IMAX movie film of up-close tornadoes - and he's re-writing that.

Is the TIV some kind of boyish fantasy? Yes. Is Sean a goofball? Yes. Will that thing go flying in a tornado of any significance? Yes. :lol:

IMO, Sean Casey demands more respect that the T.A.V. guy anyday. Yes - I am biased. That's just the way I feel. Sean's been doing this for a long time and hasn't tired of it. Steve Green, on the other hand, appears to be nowhere to be found after 1.5 years of "chasing" (when I click on his site, it crashes my PC) and seems intent on recruiting reality-TV participants to go INTO THE EYE. I never did like reality TV.

I'll stop now as I don't want to get into a flaming match about what the point is of trying to get tornadoes on IMAX and whether or not it's a waste of time. I'll just say that, when his tornadoes-only IMAX film DOES come out - I'll be first in line at Fort Worth to see it (OKC usually lags by 6 months :? ).

KR

I think there are a handful of people who become green with envy when someone else gets the attention, and then there is a need to put down every idea and statement in support. It's sad really...
And exactly how long have you been practicing psychiatry, Tim? :?

Does that mean that you also envy anybody you put down, or are you somehow psychologically superiour to the rest of us?

I would say that the reason Steve is subject to more criticism than the TIV seems pretty obvious. Although the TIV's actual mission may be still a big question mark for most of us, at least they have not boldly announced that they intend to attack the eye of a tornado, as the TA-1 has, leaving us with some reason to believe that they might be somewhat sane.

The TornadoAttack site is so rife with over-the-top hyperbole that it is just begging to be "put down." Just read it! You would think that somebody who was so obviously into self-promotion could come up with a more substantially positive biography for himself than:

Steve has competed in many national auto racing series with much success, and conceived the Tornado Attack project in 1994.
What's that all about? Not a word about his meteorlogical or scientific experience in there? And not a single word about the qualifications of what he calls his "World Class Team" either. And Steve wants people to pay for the privilege of putting their lives in his hands? You'd think he could at least say that he's CPR certified or something more substantial than being a race car driver.

Sorry, but that website and the videos posted therein just scream "yahoo" to me. But the good news is that he is so over-the-top that I really don't think his lunacy reflects negatively on the hobby as a whole.

I think there are a handful of people who become green with envy when someone else gets the attention, and then there is a need to put down every idea and statement in support. It's sad really...

Tim

I agree Tim - while I wouldn't do what Sean is doing, I admire people who get "off their duff" and organise their time and resources to pursue something that is unique. Despite learning welding "on the job", it seems to me he's managing his risks in a sensible manner, and how he raises his funds to pursue his passion matters not one jot. It seems like there is some sort of "acceptable storm chaser group-think" that needs to savage people who go outside the "tribal" norms.

Having said that, you do have to admit that Steve Green's site is another quantum leap in hyperbole and sounds a little on the lunatic fringe. And I suspect it is only in pursuit of making a lot of money.

Does that mean that you also envy anybody you put down, or are you somehow psychologically superiour to the rest of us?

Why is the frequent response to people who express an opinion on these forums to immediately go on the attack?

Why is the frequent response to people who express an opinion on these forums to immediately go on the attack?

Well, not to attack you, BUT:

Most people think it's an attack if it doesn't agree with their train of thought.

I voiced my blunt and un-biased opinion earlier in this thread - if you want to call it an attack, then that's your opinion.

TIV Intercept

Well, not to attack you, BUT: Most people think it's an attack if it doesn't agree with their train of thought. I voiced my blunt and un-biased opinion earlier in this thread - if you want to call it an attack, then that's your opinion.

Unfortunately, what you used is a form of personal attack known as an ad hominem argument. whereby you attack the qualifications of the speaker first ("And exactly how long have you been practicing psychiatry, Tim? Does that mean that you also envy anybody you put down, or are you somehow psychologically superiour to the rest of us?"), then express your point of view. It is a fallacious form of argument, and is not a valid way of stating an opinion. Your point of view is certainly valid, but you undermine it by preceding it with an attack on the speaker.

TIV Intercept

An ad hominem argument, also known as argumentum ad hominem (Latin, literally "argument [aimed] at the person", but usually translated as "argument to the man"), is a logical fallacy that involves replying to an argument by addressing the person presenting the argument as a basis for the argument being incorrect, as opposed to pointing out a flaw in the argument.

Re: TIV Intercept

Unfortunately, what you used is a form of personal attack known as an ad hominem argument. whereby you attack the qualifications of the speaker first....
Uhhh... you're talking to Tim, right? :?

If this guy just had a kid, he needs to take some responsibility and give up this publicity stunt. As I have said before -- no one is going to drive into a tornado. Period. I have read many reports on ST where these tornado vehicle people just sit on the side of the road when there is an opportunity to drive into a vortex. I don't see anything wrong with chasers coming up with news grabbing ideas, but there is limit, especially when you have a new family.

Mike

One thing the TIV has going for it is that it looks like a home-made tank. If it penetrates a tornado and gets video, the people watching at home will go "ooh" and "aaah", but aren't going to try to duplicate the feat in their '88 Civic. If, on the other hand, the TIV is picked up and thrown a hundred yards with the terrible deaths of all inside, the people at home are going to see this and say "Whoa! If that's what a tornado does to a guy in a tank, imagine what it'll do to my pickup!" and, again, they won't attempt the same stunt.

If, on the other hand, the TIV is picked up and thrown a hundred yards with the terrible deaths of all inside, the people at home are going to see this and say "Whoa! If that's what a tornado does to a guy in a tank, imagine what it'll do to my pickup!" and, again, they won't attempt the same stunt.
HA!! Excellent point, Ryan! :D

I know exactly what happens when you drive into a tornado with a Jeep Cherokee. I certainly don't plan on doing that again. :shock:

HA!! Excellent point, Ryan! :D

I know exactly what happens when you drive into a tornado with a Jeep Cherokee. I certainly don't plan on doing that again. :shock:

Ah!! Do tell. Don't hold back on us now. :wink:

Back