[Time Lapse] Picturesque Thunderstorm Forming and Ending During Sunset

Thank you! This will probably surprise you.. I captured that with a Samsung Galaxy Note 4! It was set to 30 frames per second of footage.

Actually it doesn't surprise me. Phone camera tech is getting very good. I keep meaning to try a lapse on my phone. I even bought a tripod mount for it over the winter.

Thank you! This will probably surprise you.. I captured that with a Samsung Galaxy Note 4! It was set to 30 frames per second of footage.

So was it a lapse captured entirely by the device's software or did you just take video from it and then use third-party software to create the lapse?

So was it a lapse captured entirely by the device's software or did you just take video from it and then use third-party software to create the lapse?
It was captured completely by the Note 4. I didn't do any post-processing other than trimming and combining two clips together. The first part of the video is looking west and the second part is looking northeast.

It was captured completely by the Note 4. I didn't do any post-processing other than trimming and combining two clips together. The first part of the video is looking west and the second part is looking northeast.

Which device app did you use? Does the camera have a specific "lapse" function? I have a Samsung Galaxy S7. The camera has a "hyperlapse" mode which can do time lapse, but I am not satisfied with the functionality since it changes the speed of the lapse depending on whether the sensor is capturing a changing environment, and as far as I'm aware you cannot control the speed changes. So when I try to take lapses they change speed capriciously and it doesn't look very good. Was wondering if your device behaved similarly or not.

Last edited:
Which device app did you use? Does the camera have a specific "lapse" function?
I use the stock camera app. The time-lapse mode is called "Fast motion".

I have a Samsung Galaxy S7. The camera has a "hyperlapse" mode which can do time lapse, but I am not satisfied with the functionality since it changes the speed of the lapse depending on whether anything is happening, and as far as I'm aware you cannot control the speed changes. So when I try to take lapses they change speed capriciously and it doesn't look very good. Was wondering if your device behaved similarly or not.
Mine doesn't change the speed while recording. I have 4 options: "3 times faster, 6 times faster, 15 times faster, 30 times faster". You probably know this, but those just equate to how many frames are used per second of video footage.

I don't understand why they would program it how you described. Maybe you can change an option to have total control?

Back