Thunderstorm season begins for me

Given that EMHI expects air temperatures in 50's next week, I have decided that 12 March 2007 is first day of 2007 thunderstorm season for me. I hope that if something comes, it doesn't come at the middle of a school day.

Unbelievable as it sounds but a year ago at this time, I was still getting hit by blizzards. I even feared that I cannot go to World Meteorological Day conference because of clogged roads.

I consider the first day of the season for me, the first day of the new year that I hear thunder. This means that March 1st was the begining. The thunder and lightning in early morning was quite wild that day. Even got a severe watch posted in the afternoon, but nothing happened.

I also heard thunder and saw lightning in heavy snow and sleet on the 24th of February.

Ahh, spring is a great time of year! Don't get me wrong, I love snowstorms. Tracking them and watching them transform the landscape into a winter wonderland. However those first rumbles from a spring thunderstorm, and the smell of the rain in the early spring brings on a pure natural high.

It's almost like getting over a cold or an illness. You just feel a natural high as you come out of the cold and darkness of winter into the sun and warmth of spring.

It's almost like getting over a cold or an illness. You just feel a natural high as you come out of the cold and darkness of winter into the sun and warmth of spring.

Couldn't have said it better myself! I am so glad spring is here.

I consider the first day of the season for me, the first day of the new year that I hear thunder.

No doubt about that. For my area it can usually be the second to last or last week of march. As far as the last 3 years go it has been around the 25th of March. It was warmed up nicely here, still ranging from 45-55 in the daytime. I must say I prefer rain over snow right now.

No matter what strength of storm when the first one comes, I will be outside photographing the whole thing. SDS has had the best of me this year. Cant wait to let it go finally. =)

-gerrit

David Draun said:
I consider the first day of the season for me, the first day of the new year that I hear thunder.
No doubt about that. For my area it can usually be the second to last or last week of march.
Its similar here, usually our storm season starts in 2nd half of March, but this year it was way earlier, especially because of the warmest winter ever here. It started on the 2nd January already with some strong storms with hail overnight. And we also had 5 stormy days meanwhile, really unusual.

This is just making me more iching for spring, so I am more than ready for spending the upcoming May in the heart of Tornado Alley!

Back