THUNDERFANS Unite!!

Moved to San Francisco about a year ago. It's an awesome place to live, but there's one big thing missing - THUNDER! My annual chase vacations are now my only chance to hear it, so I'm really looking forward to this year's show. Can't wait!

My big THANKS to Jason. Whatever I could not do, you DID, to get that great video for all to see. It is certainly an inspiration to all, and graphically shows everyone that often the best show is right at home!!

My big THANKS to Jason. Whatever I could not do, you DID, to get that great video for all to see. It is certainly an inspiration to all, and graphically shows everyone that often the best show is right at home!!

No problem Dan! Glad I could help you out.

I can appreciate where you are coming from, Eric. When I moved to S.F. in 1991, I immediately fell in love with the area and its scenary due to the sheer beauty. In my initial awe, I declared that this would be my home for up to the next 30 years. However, I hungered for lightning and by the time three years were up, no beauty of mountain or beach could replace my lightning hunger.
I would look at puffy cumulus clouds and yearn to see electricity. Before long I realized that this exercise was like getting gold from coal.
By my fifth year there, my 30 years had passed and I left for the Dallas TX area, where I've been since 1996.

I think Steve's theory is probably the most accurate. That TICK is probably caused by a leader branch. The last time I heard a TICK, it preceded the loud crash by one-half second -- still measurable time lapse. Like Steve said, but for me it's crucial to hear the THUNDER!!

Here is the link for anyone interested. Yes, it is very loud and flashy!!!

FLASHY T-STORM

All I can say is WOW!! This surely is the most excellent example of the reason I fell in love with weather... I had to wipe a tear from the corner of my eye after watching this..... :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Its the lightning alone and the explosive thunder that follows that first attracted me to the weather. The thrill of capturing a lightning bolt in a photograph is addicting and the thunder is the sweet payoff that comes after wards. No matter if its the weakest thunderstorm in the world, if there is lightning I am doing everything i can to photo, video and enjoy the storm.

This describes ME right to the tee. I have spent countless all nighters without sleep watching, photographing, and videographing lightning. Some chasers, after feeling "busted" not catching a tornado, throw in the towel and head for home even while a storm is still delivering a wallop with lightning. For me, it's time to head home when the last lightning bolt is delivered.

That's just me.

Quote: This describes ME right to the tee. I have spent countless all nighters without sleep watching, photographing, and videographing lightning. Some chasers, after feeling "busted" not catching a tornado, throw in the towel and head for home even while a storm is still delivering a wallop with lightning. For me, it's time to head home when the last lightning bolt is delivered. Quote

I am totally with you on this, Will; 100%. A great example that I experienced of this was in 1997, our tour intercepted a budding supercell on a hill top east of Meade, KS. Within an hour, a large "chaser convergence" gathered. As dusk drew near, and it was apparent that there would be no tornado, at the same time lightning that was first occasional grew more and more frequent. I watched in utter amazement as everyone left the hill top and only we remained. I couldn't believe that nobody was willing to stay and watch God's fireworks in action.
What ensued was a truly magnificent light show that gave me a couple of my most spectacular lightning shots, and all of us oohed and ahhed.

Great thread. The 'flashy' video was very entertaining because of the depiction of the storm itself. I also enjoyed the dad's attitude towards it and his sharing it with his young son along with the raw reaction of his son.

The linked Florida storm with the big hit is also great. Of course I had to search a few others. I liked this one among many others. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hm-2WvzEGM&NR=1 There is some mature, or immature, depending on how you look at it, language, but not bad at all. The big/close bolt near the end and his delayed shocked reaction are great. The lights going out reminds me of a storm I encountered roughly mid-August 98 driving from the Los Angeles basin towards the Bonneville Salt Flats for Speed Week. Approaching Barstow, CA in the high desert on I15, while passing an outlet mall miniature city if you will, a lightning bolt hit the power box on a nearby hill beyond the mall area which was roughly one quarter mile square. When the bolt left so did all the lights in that area.

As far as the comments about the man upstairs bowling, I have a very distinct memory from the time of the 81/82 (was it?) El Nino event and its effects on Southern California. I was in early elementary school and had a substitute teacher one day probably in January or February. When the thunder started rolling, she got very enthusiastic and jumped on the intercom with the front office, excitedly asking, "is that thunder or is the man upstairs bowling?" Picture Liza Minnelli in appearance and attitude. I believe she also asked permission or mentioned we would be going outside as a class to watch the storm. Do that today and someone or something probably ends up with a seven figure lawsuit against them even if nobody gets hurt.

Once outside I witnessed conditions I don't believe I've seen before or since around here, especially during that time of year. That was a strong and somewhat rare El Nino as I have come to understand it. The bases were solid at probably 5K or above, little or no precip at the school, but massive cloud to cloud multiple branch and fork lightning was showing up every 10-15 seconds or so with a fairly continuous rumble of thunder just rolling on and on with Liza Minnelli narrating the show for all the second graders.

On edit after reading the video comments and reviewing the video, I think that was just a transformer explosion. Agreed? There's a lack of thunder afterwards. It's one heck of a substitute. Being from Southern CA, I've experienced some big earthquakes. The Northridge and Landers quakes in 94 and 92 respectively, shook the city I was in (Diamond Bar) with about the same intensity. Northridge was a 6.x and Landers was a stout 7.3. Transformers start blowing up with a big green flash and bang if you are close enough. Those earthquakes created something probably on the order of 30 green flashes on one half of my viewing horizon during roughly a 20 second period.

Last edited by a moderator:
For me it is watching the lightening chase across the dark sky only to be rewarded with the boom and rumble. As a kid living in Wyoming, our big living room window looked to the west and I used to sit on the couch and watch the storms come off the mountains. Hearing the thunder echo off the bluffs always gave me goosebumps. I have never been able to sleep through a storm but only because I don't want to miss the beauty and sound of it.

Love it! My 5 year old duaghter watched it with me and when it was over looked me right in the eye and said " When are we chasing daddy". My heart melted.

This describes ME right to the tee. I have spent countless all nighters without sleep watching, photographing, and videographing lightning. Some chasers, after feeling "busted" not catching a tornado, throw in the towel and head for home even while a storm is still delivering a wallop with lightning. For me, it's time to head home when the last lightning bolt is delivered.

That's just me.

Same here! Been out to like 2 or 3 in the morning where it's just me & the cops out, and they knew my truck and left me alone , or just chatted for a few minutes and went on there way.
This was nice because a lot of places I would sit at was closed but they always let me stay as long as I wanted. :)

Back