Thoughts on Removable Tri-Pod style LapTop Mounts?

Hey All,

Heading out for a Month this Spring and I will be renting a mini van. I have been looking into options for a LapTop mount that I don't have drill into the car.

I have see a few like this one, but not to sure if this will work, no knowing the exact type of van we will be getting into?

http://www.amazon.com/Heavy-Truck-L...6?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1299836135&sr=1-6

I'm sure you all have some thoughts! Thanks in advance!!

Brian

Last edited by a moderator:
That sort of mount sounds like it's for use outside of a vehicle. I've had good luck adapting a mount which attaches to a passenger seatbolt on a number of different vehicles. More-or-less the same mount is available on eBay as "New Notebook Car Truck Mount Stand Table Vehicle Desk". Stock, it wiggles and isn't especially stable, but by clamping on a tactical combination of pipe fittings together with a dab of Velcro on the dash it works ok. The computer is accessible to both the driver and the right-seat passenger, even in a compact car like a Focus, Corolla, or Fit, though I'd recommend using a notebook computer with a 13" or less screen. FWIW.

Thanks David! Yeah, I checked that out. Actually looks good. Do you have that same model? Does it clamp on? Seems like it would fit most cars. We will probably be renting a mini-van so I am sure there are places under the seat I could connect to but I am a little concerned that you have to remove the seat bolt as some cars I don't think you can remove that?

Anyone else have any thoughts?

Thanks so much!

Brian

Brian, I think you can pretty much always remove a seat bolt, but they're often hidden by plastic caps and may have colored thread lock to discourage amateur tinkerers like me. Just make sure to replace and tighten the bolt when you return the vehicle with a clear conscience.

The model looks just about exactly the same, but my particular mods depended on a few features I'm not certain are the same. While the computer doesn't come loose, it wiggles around on its base mount too much for my taste without some sort of bracing to the dash.

The other possibility I'm looking at for this year is not mounting the laptop at all and accessing it wirelessly from a tablet, e.g. IPad app. When stopped you have the option of picking the computer up off the floor or whatever and just resting it on the seat (or the tray of a seatbolt mount). Then you just have to figure out how to mount a tablet, but that's another discussion.

Looks horribly unstable to me. I wouldn't use one outside for fear of tipping over. I wouldn't use one inside the vehicle as it seems it would bounce and vibrate a lot (especially on Bob's roads).

Are the example pictures on the site even real, looks fake to me?

Have you looked at the Ram Mount Universal Mounts? They are flexible, but once you have all three legs bolted to the seat mounts, they are pretty stable.

ram316-3sw1.jpg

Thanks Wes! Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Something like that. Looks pretty easy to hook up and I'm sure it would work with most rental mini-vans. The thing that makes me the most nervous is if I can get this in under the seat of a mini-van?

Have you actually tried this model?

Thanks again!!
Brian

Do any of these newer cars have bench seats in the front? I use a boat seat swivel mounted to a board that I just lay on the seat and pull tight with the middle seat belt. Sounds rigged and it is, but I wouldn't have it any other way for a vehicle with a seat in the middle. Costs 15 dollars, takes up very little space, works very well. No negatives that I've experienced so far. But I don't know if there are any rentals cars these days that have bench seats in the front.

I have the ram mount system (not the universal one pictured) in my Outback and all of my chaser friends do as well. You can get an optional quick release that leaves the mount on the floor and lift the post and desk out in like 5 seconds with no tools. Super sturdy which is what you want first and formost. It does cost a bit more, but NO holes to drill and super sturdy.

I have a "no drilling required" Jotto Desk that I have used with my 11" netbook, a 15" and a 17" laptop and the thing is solid as a rock.

Back