The Central Plains Severe Weather Symposium 2005: March 19

LOL Damon.

Thanks J.B.! I seriously doubt there will be anything near that number. Only one way to find out I guess.

Still planning on trying to go. Even if it's too crowded inside, there looks to be some interesting stuff outside. I might have to stop by and check out this Extreme Instability Videos, sounds like a bust to me though :wink:

Tim

Just got back...

Just got back from spending a full day at the Central Plains Severe Weather Symposium held today in Lincoln NE. It was an interesting day overall and I really enjoyed it. Lots of things to see, lots of people were there.

One thing they lacked was proper planning for larger crowds. They had nearly all of the booths and exhibits in one long narrow hallway. It would have been ok if most of the people that attended stayed in the main auditorium most of the time. At times it got too crowded for people to even move! :( If they had used the basketball gym for the exhibits, it would have been soo much better. :D

I was disappointed that the much-anticipated weather balloon launch was "scrubbed". They determined the potential landing site for the balloon was going to be too close to the Missouri River. Ker-splash!! :shock:

I did see Mike H. down there with his video stuff and I talked to him briefly. Perhaps the highlight of my day at the symposium was meeting the "Twister Sisters". :lol: After buying a DVD video from the girls, I posed for a picture with the girls. That would really make my wife jealous. :oops:

Another highlight was the presentation on Tornado Research - Putting a Data and Video Probe into the path of a Tornado by Tim Samaras from Denver, CO. His explaination of the technical aspects of his probes nearly bored me to death. But the videos he showed afterwards really lit me up and had me sitting on the edge of my seat. One video showed the main core of the tornado passing just within 50 feet of the probe. :shock:

After spending most of the afternoon attending the storm spotting class. ( I had to miss the Twisted Sisters presentation, sorry!), I was tired and ready to head for home. :cry:

I stepped out into the bright sun of a late March afternoon and I commented to a lady walking nearby, "Is it stormy yet?" :lol:

Now I can't wait for the storms to start up!! LJK.

Well finally got to Lincoln about 12:30. The kids and I made it just in time to see Tim’s video. Absolutely fantastic, the footage from Manchester, SD, and northern IA with the probe was just amazing, and this was the 2nd time I saw it! We checked out the displays and the kids picked up lots of free swag and the girls got tornados painted on their faces. There were many residents from Hallam in the crowd and I got to talk with several of them. One man showed me his house on an aerial photo taken a couple of days after the tornado. His house was one of about four in a row in the middle of town that were still standing. I’m sure it was severely damaged though. He told me he tried to drive out of town, but got caught on main street when the grain bins came down and blocked the road. He rode out the remaindered of the tornado in his car sitting on main street, even pointed out the spot he was parked at! He then told me he just moved back into his home two months ago. At this point he got kind of choked up and had to excuse himself. We stayed for the Twister Sisters and they did a great job of toning their presentation down so it could be followed by the general public, which comprised most of the crowd. Both Melanie and Peggy became very emotional when they told about their encounter with a man found on the road after his house was leveled and the ensuing rescue of three others in the house. When they showed their video, several in the crowed were in tears, had to be quite a day for the Hallam residents that were in attendance. All in all it was a great way to spend an afternoon. Also got to talk with Mike H, and saw Mike D and his wife (?), but didn’t get to talk to them.

Was nice to see old friends and meet many new ones at the conference and then later at the dinner. Thanks to Ken Dewey for his hard work - it's an enormous job with so many people interested these days. A task I would not want for sure! This symposium seems to fill a niche that other conferences do not fill in many respects. Looking forward to future years as this conference continues to evolve over time.

Wanted to thank Tim Samarras and Peggy & Melanie for their great presentations. Tim - your video is just on a whole other level, there's no other way to explain it ... there is simply nothing like it. Hope you had a safe trip home - and the Sisters too ... hopefully the snowy icy mess to the north was more forgiving on the way back. Thanks for fighting the elements to come down.

Peggy & Melanie's presentation ... as well as several of the survivor stories ... had the unexpected effect of driving home the human impact of this event with me. A lot of emotions connected with remembering May 22nd last year. It was quite a day.

I don't think I can really add much to the kudos already given to Dr. Dewey and all the participants and presentors at the symposium. Dr. Dewey really seems to pour a lot of himself into making the symposium an enjoyable and informative gathering that appeals to a wide audience and is constantly seeking comments and ways to improve things for the next year. I really believe the CPSWS has the potential to be a signature event and a "don't miss" for chasers, spotters and severe weather enthusiasts from across the Plains.

The symposium really did an excellent job of presenting May 22, 2004 on many levels, from the meteorological aspects of the event to the emotional human drama of the survivors. I think Peggy and Melanie's presentation effectually took all those facets and wrapped them together to really put that whole day in perspective.

Also, to Darin, Travis, Mike P., and J.B. and his wife Lisa; really enjoyed spending some time with you guys over a few drinks and eats and look forward to seeing you guys out on the Plains later.

Regards,

Mike

It was nice meeting quite a few st'rs for the first time as well as locals who seem eager for spring. Nice seeing a few old faces again too. Thanks to Mike P, Darin and Travis for hanging out around the table at points during the day. That hallway was often quite crowded! I can't really comment on much else as that was my only view the whole day. Thanks to Ken Dewey for letting me set up the table.

I was amazed how not-so-nice some people can be. Several times people felt the need to laugh or give me a dirty look when they learned the dvds were not hand outs. Most were quite kind and interested however. I just remember one point fairly early in it thinking, if one more person does that I'm leaving. I sooo wanted to strangle that first guy who laughed outloud as he turned and walked away. Like yes, selling a dvd for $20 is crazier than expecting someone to bring them free for 2,000 people.

Must tell the old man story. This happened late in the day and is when I finally started to look for an escape to get on out and head home. This old man comes over and he just didn't look like a very happy man. I half knew what would happen if he stopped at the table and sure enough he stopped. He picks up the first video and starts to tuck it away with his other stuff. The Omaha Safety Council guy who'd I'd been talking with at the table next to me was watching this and already laughing. I thought to myself, if I tell this guy it isn't free I'll just get to see a similar face or comment like I had a few times earlier. He had a look and way that said he wouldn't just say, "Oh ok" after hearing the news. So I said the heck with it, it isn't worth it and let him proceed to jack my stuff. So he gets to the other video and there it goes too. Then.....he starts to take the video poster on the table! I only had one of those(for each vid) so I had to tell him I couldn't give those out. What does he do? He gets mad! So I just said "Sorry, I have to keep those so people can sort of see what is on the videos." So he gives me this look and pushes it back down and walks off, vids still in hand. It was pretty funny, espeically for the guy next to me watching it.

Thanks also to all the st'rs who bought videos....there were several as well as several who are trying to get on st yet(but not having any luck..hint hint........).

One lady also told me that she saw someone take off with one of Mike's vids too ... hearing this just made me angry. If people cannot respect the time and WORK (and more work, and then some more after that) that go into making a vid like yours, it may just be a matter of explaining and educating them a little bit about what goes into the process. It's not like this is "Uncle Rico's Chase Vid" here (lol - I just made myself laugh at that ... only the Napoleon fans will get it, though). There is a big key to selling that works ... this stuff is VALUABLE ... it has and retains VALUE. It should be billed as ART on the purest level ... People are sold on the fact that in their mind this is something they cannot live without. The ones who bought the video yesterday will NOT be disappointed one single bit at the price. It's worth every penny.

Thanks Mike.

Yeah I wondered if people just figured everything there was(and possibly should be) free. I doubt they were grabbing freebies thinking they were free from the Barns and Noble, Radio Shack, and Twister Sisters tables and any others there. I wonder if they got any dirty looks or comments. The majority were quite kind though.

That narrow corridor didn't help things either. Would have been nice if you guys (the exhibitors) could have had more open space as well as the ability to put more visible signage up showing prices, etc.

I did notice, however, as we were leaving, I could have easily gotten a free advanced copy of "Big Weather", but my conscience (and my wife) got the better of me. :)

Regards,

Mike

Sorry, Mike D., but those books were just filler, as the book is still at the printer. I picked one up to browse, and I couldn't figure out why the title inside the book was different than the sleeve. LOL

Needeless to say, you would've been disapointed with your new "acquisition". ;)

Unreal story, Mike H. Yes, there were many "curmudgeons" in the crowd yesterday. Mike P. is right....the vids are worth every penny.

Did I mention there are too many Mikes on this thread??

I've found that symposiums and conferences of this type tend to attract some strange folks, that being the primary reason I avoid them all together. Since I'm new to the area, it would have been nice to meet some of you guys, but I'm sure we'll run into each other in the inflow.

I determined two things: I'm finally seen enough Hallam vid for...a while and I'm ready to start seeing 2005 video!

It was audio-visual hell in the auditorium. God bless volunteers and all, but the wireless mics kept losing connectivity, the lights were never turned town for the presentations...

Despite all that, it was well worth the bother, and the organizers certainly aren't going to get rich on this.

Interesting to hear if Melanie and Peggy had anyone trying to boost their DVDs...That's just horrible and inexcusable. Although with every Govt agency and TV station giving away stuff, maybe I could understand it. Nah.

Great to see Mike and Mike and J.B. and all the rest of y'all. Sorry I couldn't make it to Brewsky's, but I've got two relatives in two different hospitals. See y'all on the shoulder this spring!

Post a Sign!

One thing you may want to keep in mind next time you are trying to sell DVDS or posters at a symposium like this one: Make a "Sale Sign".

Just because you have your dvds or posters lined up on the table doesn't necessary means they are "For Sale". People were taking the freebies left and right all over the place. And those three large boxes of posters set up on the large table were going like "hotcakes".

By having the "Sale Sign" in place, you are clearly marking those items not free for the taking, but for purchasing. And if people comes along and start taking things, you have every right as a exhibitor to stop them and remind them that those items are for sale. And if they give you any huff about them, tell them that you are calling "Security" and pull your cell phone out.

Another idea that I've seen in some stores, put out empty cases. And mark them as "display only". That way if people wants to buy the DVDs or posters, they will ask you/tell you. Otherwise, if they sneak off with the cases, you are limiting your losses to empty cases. And the thieves will feel like a dumbo sucker when they get home and find the cases empty. Also (this is sneaky) put double stick tapes on back of the cases and put them on the table. That way they will stay there and not get picked up by sticky fingers.

If this symposium gets any bigger, then I think there will be a need for security. Perhaps someone should get in touch with Ken Dewey and explain the security problem and lack of room in the hallways. Maybe he will get the hint and line up a gym floor for the exhibitors next year.

Just putting in my 2 $$ and change. Thanks. LJK.

Back