Texas Panhandle Winter Storm Warning (again)

:shock: (zombie)

Just got home right now at 11.48pm CDT from THE singularly most amazing snow event I have ever seen. We dropped south near Claude TX around 4pm and into the Palo Duro Canyon. Can't stay long here just now, but will post pictures soon. Absolutely spectacular. We found over 1ft of snow on the south side of Palo Duro Canyon, and the Tahoe managed to get us into a picnic spot up on a hill that would normally have been inaccessible for some vistas.

Although the light wasn't stupendous for photography - some of the images are breathtaking.

Wow.

Kare Rhoden

Originally posted by Jay McCoy
When I got home I measured 5 spots in the back yard. all were between 13-14 inches and it is still snowing. I took a few pics just to give an idea. I shoveled a path on the deck first to give an idea of depth.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v652/tor...w3-15-05001.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v652/tor...w3-15-05003.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v652/tor...w3-15-05006.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v652/tor...w3-15-05007.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v652/tor...w3-15-05008.jpg

That one pic was especially interesting. You guys already have leaves popping out on your trees, and you're getting all that snow!! It still looks like the dead of winter here, yet we haven't received squat for snow.

Originally posted by Joel Wright
That one pic was especially interesting. You guys already have leaves popping out on your trees, and you're getting all that snow!! It still looks like the dead of winter here, yet we haven't received squat for snow.

That's one of the reasons that made this event so special. Whenever you classify the winter/spring changeover I don't know - but Mother Nature does her own thing regardless - and during this snowfall there were greeen shoots poking through the 10" or more of snow, and trees weighed down with the white stuff that were budding furiously.

Another thing that made this event so spectacular was that it happened in the Texas Panhandle. How special is that? Well - the last I checked Amarillo wasn't located in one of the nation's all-time heavy snow bands up by the Great Lakes. This area is prime chase country and throughout history has been the seat of some big-player Texas tornadoes........and seeing the Palo Duron Canyon in this state was just magical. All you people up by the Great Lakes with your snow band totals? - bleh! on you :roll: - this was a rootin' tootin' Texas Panhandle winter storm!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D

Great stuff - working on pics and my first 2005 chase account today.

KR

Originally posted by Karen Rhoden
Anybody who was watching/following/excited about this event might want to take a look at satellite out of the area right now - it's cleared out and there are some stunning images of expansive snow cover in the Texas Panhandle - along with being able to trace the winding canyon in the snowy terrain.

http://wwwghcc.msfc.nasa.gov/GOES/goeseastconus.html

KR

Try this satellite link. it is the GOES10 hi res from Colorado state. You can actually see Palo Duro Canyon's outline along with Amarillo (dark spot NW of the canyon). I use this sat alot during chase season.

http://www.cira.colostate.edu/Special/Curr...Wx/G10arm10.asp

The reason everything was blooming was we have been in the 60's and 70's for weeks and were 83 on saturday. this was a great storm but a slap of reality that it is still winder for afew more days.

I cant wait to see the pics Karen. I have seen PD Canyon in snow before but never this big of one and I didnt get down there yesterday but I bet it was magnificent.

That satellite pic is awesome. I've hiked in Palo Duro many times and it is one awesome place without snow. Anxiously awaiting pictures here, too.
Angie

Good job on the photos Karen. It looked like Gene and yourself had a great time with this awesome snow event. Wouldn't it be awesome to get a foot of snow and a tornado in the same month in the TX panhandle! Talk about weather extremes... :shock:

Looks like fun, Karen! Sadly enough, the Texas Panhandle has seen more snow this season than Denver has! :cry: How pathetic is that! Texas seeing more snow than Denver, Colorado! Sheesh! :roll:

Thanks, guys! Yes - it sure was one worth seeing. Tony - move to Amarillo......that's where all the snow is now, BTW.

One last thing - a big THANK YOU to David Drummond for alerting me to hyperlink problems on this page when I first put it up. I've FINALLY just now got all the bugs sorted out of the system......but thanks to David I actually knew where to start looking to fix it!!

KR

Hey, Karen, great pics and account. I saw the VERY beginnings of this event over NM, but had no idea what was to come. My wife and I were wrapping up a vacation in New Mexico that included several days of skiing in the awesome snow NM has been getting all season. But toward the end of our week, warmth had come to the valleys, with temperatures in the 70s in Albuquerque and the 60s in Santa Fe, with clear skies and bright sunshine.

Forecasts did call for some rain and snow showers Sunday night through Tuesday, but as of Sunday morning, when we were packing up to come home, there was no forecast of the massive storm this turned out to be. (Since this was a non-chase vacation, I had not looked at models or WX data, or attempted any forecasts of my own; just going by NWS and TWC forecasts, so maybe there was some sign in the data or models that they missed, but I did not look so did not see it.)

Anyway, by the time we were flying out of ABQ Sunday afternoon around 2:30, it was evident something was up with the weather, though I never would have believed what ultimately happened. Still, I wish I had taken pics as we were flying out. There were impressive CBs, with hard towers and anvils, and tops around 30,000 feet, all along the eastern slopes of the central mountains. Snow was beginning to fall west of the mountains, but was evaporating before reaching the ground, so west of the mountains there was just virga, though we did fly through some of these snow showers aloft before getting up to the cloud base level.

Over the Sangre de Cristo Mountains and on the east slopes of the Sandia Mountains, however, it was a different story - by 3 pm the CBs were massive and widespread, and precip clearly was reaching the ground. I saw later the ABQ NWS did mention the possibility of thunder with some of these cells, though I do not know whether that happened. I wish I had put my camera where I could reach it and taken some pictures - it looked like summer thunderstorms, the convection was so impressive. Whether or not there was thunder, the precip went quickly to snow, especially east of the central mountains, and it did not quit for any length of time for 2 days.

In fact, over the next 2 days, 2 -3 feet of snow fell on the east slopes of the Sangre de Cristo and Sandia Mountains, and even a lot in the valleys and urban areas - 2 feet in Las Vegas (NM), Sandia Park, and Cedar Crest (on the east side of the mountains, where the upslope Karen mentioned was maximized), and 11-18 inches in Santa Fe, 14 inches in Los Alamos, and 4-10 inches in Albuquerque (all west of the central mountains, though Los Alamos gets some upslope on the Jemez Mountains). Besides wishing I had had the camera, I also wish we had a few more days so I could have skied all that snow, and gotten some pictures like Karen's. Still, this has been one awesome snow year in NM, and I am happy to have had some chances to get there and ski it. And all this is very good news for the Southwest, where a 5 year drought has been, if not broken, at least greatly reduced.

John Farley
Edwardsville, IL

Nice writeup and pics Karen.

I never realized the panhandle had scenery like that. I always thought it was just flat and boring lol.

I guess ya learn something new everyday!

Hey, Karen, great pics and account.

Cedar Crest (on the east side of the mountains, where the upslope Karen mentioned was maximized), and 11-18 inches in Santa Fe, 14 inches in Los Alamos, and 4-10 inches in Albuquerque
John Farley
Edwardsville, IL

Thanks!

Actually - the upslope I was mentioning was more on a mesoscale scenario than regional. You've probably heard of the effects that the Palo Duro Canyon is reputed to have on storm development during spring? - well this is exactly the same process that took place on Tuesday with the snow. An easterly or northeasterly wind on Tuesday funnelled air up the canyon and created mesoscale upslope conditions in the surrounding area, and that resulted (for the second time in 5 months, I might add) in hellacious snow totals very near the canyon where the air had that extra bit of lift.

I know the Rockies provide lift in their own way very much - but that's not what we were chasing on Tuesday! We chased a special kind of "Panhandle Lift"...... :D And that's the best kind......

KR

This is the best I have to offer for this winter: http://69.14.190.10/images/photos/january22/snow.jpg

That was about 12-14 inches (or more, hard to measure with the drifting). Winds were around 30MPH, though we did have one gust to 40MPH (all after the snow was done falling). We got this snow during the January 21-22 snowstorm, and most of it fell in a 4 hour period.

Back