Stormtrack Moderator Poll (restarted) June 2010

Who is your selection for moderator? (candidates are listed in alphabetical order)

• James Aydelott

Votes: 9 4.0%
  • Jarrod Barnett

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • Mark Blue

Votes: 20 8.9%
  • Bart Comstock

Votes: 48 21.4%
  • Karla Dorman

Votes: 22 9.8%
  • Jason Foster

Votes: 11 4.9%
  • Brandon Jenkins

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Penny Lehner

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • Patrick Marsh

Votes: 20 8.9%
  • Chris Nuttall

Votes: 17 7.6%
  • Jesse Risley

Votes: 33 14.7%
  • Andrew Ryan

Votes: 7 3.1%
  • John Sibley

Votes: 5 2.2%
  • Benjamin Smith

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dawn Thieme

Votes: 3 1.3%
  • David Wolfson

Votes: 8 3.6%
  • Abstain

Votes: 16 7.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
OK, the moderator decisions for participating in the poll are complete and it looks like we're all set, so we're restarting this poll.

Please choose the candidate you think would do the best job as moderator and who would do the best job at shaping the future of Stormtrack.

One small change -- I received some PMs that expressed concern over this election manifesting itself as a popularity poll. I agree that this is a concern, so I think it is prudent to keep the results closed (though we will select the top four choices). However the moderators will be able to see the results and this will help ensure everything is being done above board. This is a secret ballot and no one will know who you voted for.

If you don't like anyone in particular or do not want to participate you can choose "abstain". Moderators please abstain, since you all have input into the appointed candidates. Poll closes in a week.

Tim

Brief update -- the poll did not allow users to change their votes later, and the vBulletin options do not provide for this either, so once you cast a vote it's a done deal.

Tim

I am Jarrod Barnett. Im a 29yr old chaser from Norwalk Ohio. I am a n00b to the site but certainly not to weather or chasing. I have been intrigued by weather since I was a young kid. The raw power has always gotten my attention. From the wind, thunder and lightning to the first time I ever seen a funnel when I was 11 I was hooked. A few years ago my best friend and I made it a yearly vacation to head out west for 10 days every spring to chase in Tornado Alley. Most people think Im totally nuts to call that a vacation but it really is to me. I love driving the plains, windows down, radio cranked, enjoying the scenery and then... the weather radio alerts start to go off. Then the chase begins and adrenaline starts to flow.

I also chase "locally" as well. This includes Ohio, Indiana, Michigan, Pennsylvania and Kentucky. Normally only if its within a couple hour drive during the week but the weekend is free game. I do not travel weekly but when the opportunity arises and things look good I will go.

You may ask what I know about moderation and what not... I did at least 90% of the setup work as well as still maintain a Vbulletin based forum for my regular 9-5 which is www.highboostforum.com. I am also a moderator on a motorcycle forum I am on. www.bikestylesinc.com/forum.

Weather is my hobby. Since being approved to be on this site I have been on here daily just gathering information and reading. There is so much to take in and no matter how much someone may know you can always learn something or get better at what you do.

Im realistic, fair and see things in real life and not a fantasy world. By that I mean....too many people like stuff sugar coated. My feeling is if you're afraid of the truth dont ask for it, and if you do not not be afraid to hear what has to be said. I would rather have things presented to me straight forward to me and not served a candy coated turd instead. lol

I treat others with the same respect they treat me with. I give people a chance to explain their actions before jumping to conclusions and issuing a punishment or judgement.

I just appreciate the opportunity to possibly be able to help out the Stormtrack site as well as get to know you all better. Whether im chosen to be a moderator or not I will always be a member of the forums.

Thank you!

I'm reposting my blurb again in case members didn't see it on the other thread.

I just wanted to introduce myself to the members that don't know me, which, admittedly, is most of you. I'm a meteorology Junior at the University of Oklahoma. I have been an active member on Stormtrack for almost three years now. I'm logged on almost everyday and I only post when I can add valuable insight on a topic.

I am a level-headed person. I do not get caught up in flame wars. If I were elected to become a moderator, I would be impartial and not have favorites. I would do my best to reduce the noise in threads.

If you have any questions, feel free to shoot me a PM.

I abstained, since I'm on the list.

...I think Tim means current moderators.

Repost.

Just thought I would give a background on myself as well. I am relatively new to the boards, have chased locally for a couple years now and made some serious investments last year after undertaking a long period of self education in meteorology. I am a systems administrator by trade but I went to college for web design and marketing. I have lurked on the forums now for about 2 years but decided to hold off on posting until I had a better understanding of the meteorological side of things. I have no major chasing commitments this year and only commit myself when I can be back within a respectable time frame as my wife and I just welcomed our daughter (first child) to the world this April. I spend 85% of my day at work online and like I told Tim, 70% of that is spent pouring over posts here on the forums. I try to keep a level head and avoid confrontation but I don't mind correcting someone when it is necessary. I am certainly not afraid to admit that I made a mistake. The best way to learn is through making mistakes, and we all do it.

I realize my tenure here as a registered user is short but I promise that my commitment to the site is real and I will be here for a long time, I just thought this would be a wonderful way to give back to the community that has taught me so much over the past 2 years. It also makes a wonderful way to pass an 8 hour day of staring at my worskstation. :D

Thanks for the consideration.

...I think Tim means current moderators.
I know...but I felt I should anyway.

It won't count because you post it - you have to click that option if you want.

Seems strange not to vote for yourself, I hope you don't lose by one :eek:
I did click "abstain" option on the list.

I just don't think if it came down to a tie breaker...it should be my own vote that makes the different. It's about what the members want IMO.

I thought I’d provide everyone with an idea of who I am, a brief description of my past experience, hobbies that I enjoy, and how that would relate to my ability to serve as a moderator (if elected) on Stormtrack.
  • I received a Bachelor of Science degree in Geography with a specialization in Climatology in May 1988 from the University of Nebraska Lincoln.

• I will admit that my favorite section of Stormtrack is the “Equipment” section of the board but I have been known to post in every section, especially if I have something worthwhile to add.

• My primary hobby is storm chasing. I began storm chasing when I was in college in the mid to late 80s and continued into the early 1990s. Back then we didn’t have laptops, Jotto Desks, cellular data cards, cellular amplifiers, or Cradlepoint routers. The way we chase today is considerably more sophisticated than it was back then, but progress has been good to our hobby. I thought about storm chasing each and every year from 1991 – 2004 (the non chasing years), but didn’t became serious about it again until 2005. I have chased every year since 2005 and now chase with my wife Jane. She is an awesome chase partner, an excellent driver, and we truly enjoy our time together.

• I have a second hobby that involves building computers and computer modding. I am very adept at troubleshooting computer issues and serve as a go-to person for my family and friends. I love anything and everything to do with computer technology. I subscribe to and religiously read three technology-centered magazines: CPU (Computer Power User), Maximum PC, and Laptop.

• In my professional life I have worked in various fields from construction, the financial industry, and the health care field. The construction industry was my favorite place to work because the characters that work on a construction site are the most down to earth and hard working you can find. In my current position I assist disabled veterans with obtaining health care benefits for their dependents. This is a very rewarding job as it allows me to help those who have served their country. I have also held several leadership positions throughout my career. Those positions would include serving as a supervisor and a project manager. As a project manager I worked closely with the business units in the mutual fund industry to roll out new technology as painlessly as possible. As a supervisor I was responsible for managing three different departments whose primary function was processing incoming retirement investments. I believe in leading by example as one of the most important qualities a leader can possess.

• I am an easy going guy and level-headed as it relates to making hard decisions. My skills as a people-person are evident by the fact that I am a Deacon and Lead Usher where Jane and I attend church. Since ushers are volunteers it takes skill, diplomacy, and a sense of caring to organize a team each week in order to accomplish our goals.

• I truly value the time I have been a member of Stormtrack and the friendships I have made in the storm chasing community. I have a clean track record here and will continue to be an active member of this forum regardless of the outcome of this election. If you elect me to serve as a moderator you can depend on me to be fair, consistent, and to try and promote the sense of community we have built together here on Stormtrack. Any votes already cast for me are greatly appreciated and thanks in advance for your time and consideration.
If you have any questions please feel free to contact me.

Thanks,
Mark

Last edited by a moderator:
I would also like to take the opportunity to post a short synopsis of why I chose to run for a Stormtrack moderator position and what I could possibly 'bring to the table' if elected.

I've been a member of Stormtrack since 2006, contributing to the forum on a regular basis since joining. While my interest in weather dates back to childhood, I've been in the 'field' as a spotter and semi-local chaser for over a decade, with a first trip to the Plains several years ago. Storm chasing is a passionate hobby for me, although my day job is that of a high school social studies teacher.

The primary objective of a moderator is to further the vision and mission of a message board, which in this case is to foster a high caliber venue for the discussion of storm chasing. Accordingly, in order to carry out that objective, the forum needs a dedicated group of individuals to promote and encourage the posting of quality threads and responses vis-a-vis the enforcement of collective norms, while also promoting civil discourse and ultimately a sense of learning within our e-community.

I visit the forum regularly, possess what I believe are good interpersonal skills, and would enjoy the opportunity to give back to the Stormtrack community by serving in the capacity of a forum moderator.

I have the time necessary to dedicate to working within this position, and I am also a level-headed, objective person, along with my being familiar with the organization and operation of the message board as a general participant. It would be my privilege to serve in a manner that continues to preserve the integrity of this great venue.

Thank you for your consideration.

There were 232 votes with 17 abstentions. The four elected moderators for 7/1/2010 to 12/31/2010 are:
- Bart Comstock with 49 votes
- Jesse Risley with 34 votes
- Karla Dorman with 23 votes
- Mark Blue with 21 votes

Congratulations to our new representatives... it looks like we will get the benefit from a diverse range of backgrounds and experience. The four selections represent 55% of those who voted.

The four appointed moderators will be announced in the next couple of weeks.

Since this thread is strictly about the June elections I have split off the general discussion about our election process into a separate thread and will discuss the topic there.

Tim

There were 232 votes with 17 abstentions. The four elected moderators for 7/1/2010 to 12/31/2010 are:
- Bart Comstock with 49 votes
- Jesse Risley with 34 votes
- Karla Dorman with 23 votes
- Mark Blue with 21 votes

Congratulations to our new representatives... it looks like we will get the benefit from a diverse range of backgrounds and experience. The four selections represent 55% of those who voted.

The four appointed moderators will be announced in the next couple of weeks.

Congratulations to those members. A well rounded team indeed.

Because I'm a geek that way:
- Bart Comstock with 49 votes 21.1%
- Jesse Risley with 34 votes 14.7%
- Karla Dorman with 23 votes 9.9%
- Mark Blue with 21 votes 9.1%
Total = 54.8%

I've been a bit late with getting the moderator transition underway... too many responsibilities at the house following our move.

Anyway this week (July 5-10) we will have an overlap period with both old and new (elected) moderators active. This will allow for some transition, giving the old moderators a chance to assist the new team and give their perspectives on day-to-day issues.

The appointed candidates have not yet been selected but this will be forthcoming in a couple of days.

Tim

Back