Stormtrack moderator poll (suspended a few days)

Who should be the next Stormtrack moderator? (choices not in any particular order)

• Karla Dorman

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Bart Comstock

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • John Sibley

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dawn Thieme

• David Wolfson

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Jesse Risley

• Penny Lehner

• James Aydelott

• Patrick Marsh

• John Erwin

• Andrew Ryan

• Jason Foster

Votes: 5 23.8%
  • Brandon Jenkins

• Jarrod Barnett

• Benjamin Smith

• Abstain

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
EDIT: This poll has been suspended several days until we get some issues sorted out with the moderator terms we established in December. We will restart the poll ASAP. I do apologize for this.

In this poll we ask the community to select who they would like as the next moderator. Since we are working to implement bicameral representation on our moderator team, the current moderators and I will also handpick a candidate from this list.

The term is for June 3 to December 3, 2010.

- This poll will close in five days (Thursday, June 3).
- To avoid the tendency for people to vote for the horse in the lead, poll results will not be posted publically until the poll closes.
- No one will know who you voted for.
- If you volunteered but we missed you, let me know as I may have overlooked this while paging between multiple screens of PMs, emails, and threads.

Please try to choose the candidate who you feel would help take Stormtrack in the best direction and who would be most beneficial for the meteorological discussion threads. If you don't like the choices or don't prefer any particular choice and want to make that known in the poll, please pick "abstain". I have abstained since my role is in choosing the handpicked candidate, not this one, and I ask the moderators to do likewise since they're involved that way too. I think you can change your vote at any time, at least I intended to set it up this way... if not and I missed the option to allow this, which I suspect I might have, I apologize.

Thanks!

Tim

Also if you want to use the comments here to discuss the poll or the election, or provide more information about yourself as a candidate, feel free to do so.

Tim

I just wanted to introduce myself to the members that don't know me, which, admittedly, is most of you. I'm a meteorology Junior at the University of Oklahoma. I have been an active member on Stormtrack for almost three years now. I'm logged on almost everyday and I only post when I can add valuable insight on a topic.

I am a level-headed person. I do not get caught up in flame wars. If I were elected to become a moderator, I would be impartial and not have favorites. I would do my best to reduce the noise in threads.

If you have any questions, feel free to shoot me a PM.

Sorry everyone -- we are having to cancel the current election temporarily. I looked at our calendar and we have overrun some of the moderator term dates and other moderators are due to "retire" on June 30. We really need to tend to this issue to adhere to the plan that was laid out last December. Therefore we are giving all of the moderators the option to either retire on June 30, participate in the popular election, or apply for handpicked status. Once we figure out who is doing which, we will get this poll re-started, probably early next week.

The good news is we will have 4 slots open up for the popular election. The top four choices from this poll will become "elected moderators" (representatives), basically representing the interests of the community and our users.

There will also be 4 slots open for handpicked status. These individuals will be "appointed moderators" (senators, if you will) and they will consist of the people that I (and some of the moderators) think are the best fit for the board and who bring technical, meteorological, or veteran experience to the team. All individuals who participate in the elections will be considered for an appointed position; you can also PM me or e-mail me if you want to be considered for an appointed slot (your chances are better though participating in the election though since you get two chances to get in).

These positions are actually pretty important because my intent is to allow Stormtrack to operate in a delegated style so I can focus more on the technical side of things. The moderators are not just policemen... they are also part of the staff and they have a lot of say in guiding the policies, activities, and the future of Stormtrack, especially now that we're moving into this era of social networking. Often when I make changes I consult with the moderators in our private forum, so they are very much an integral part of our community.

That said, please be patient while we get this sorted out and hopefully we will restart elections again in just a few days.

Tim

Just thought I would give a background on myself as well. I am relatively new to the boards, have chased locally for a couple years now and made some serious investments last year after undertaking a long period of self education in meteorology. I am a systems administrator by trade but I went to college for web design and marketing. I have lurked on the forums now for about 2 years but decided to hold off on posting until I had a better understanding of the meteorological side of things. I have no major chasing commitments this year and only commit myself when I can be back within a respectable time frame as my wife and I just welcomed our daughter (first child) to the world this April. I spend 85% of my day at work online and like I told Tim, 70% of that is spent pouring over posts here on the forums. I try to keep a level head and avoid confrontation but I don't mind correcting someone when it is necessary. I am certainly not afraid to admit that I made a mistake. The best way to learn is through making mistakes, and we all do it.

I realize my tenure here as a registered user is short but I promise that my commitment to the site is real and I will be here for a long time, I just thought this would be a wonderful way to give back to the community that has taught me so much over the past 2 years. It also makes a wonderful way to pass an 8 hour day of staring at my worskstation :D

Thanks for the consideration.

Let me introduce myself to you: I have been a member here at ST for a little over a year. I don't know much about weather, but am willing to learn. I have been on one chase: yes, I'm a nOOb. What do I know? Not much, but again, willing to learn. No chase commitments, unemployed, so have lots of time to be here. Consider myself pretty level headed and fair. If I err (and I do, not perfect), will admit my wrongdoing. Try to treat others like I want to be treated.

I am Jarrod Barnett. Im a 29yr old chaser from Norwalk Ohio. I am a n00b to the site but certainly not to weather or chasing. I have been intrigued by weather since I was a young kid. The raw power has always gotten my attention. From the wind, thunder and lightning to the first time I ever seen a funnel when I was 11 I was hooked. A few years ago my best friend and I made it a yearly vacation to head out west for 10 days every spring to chase in Tornado Alley. Most people think Im totally nuts to call that a vacation but it really is to me. I love driving the plains, windows down, radio cranked, enjoying the scenery and then... the weather radio alerts start to go off. Then the chase begins and adrenaline starts to flow.

I also chase "locally" as well. This includes Ohio, Indiana, Michigan, Pennsylvania and Kentucky. Normally only if its within a couple hour drive during the week but the weekend is free game. I do not travel weekly but when the opportunity arises and things look good I will go.

You may ask what I know about moderation and what not... I did at least 90% of the setup work as well as still maintain a Vbulletin based forum for my regular 9-5 which is www.highboostforum.com. I am also a moderator on a motorcycle forum I am on. www.bikestylesinc.com/forum.

Weather is my hobby. Since being approved to be on this site I have been on here daily just gathering information and reading. There is so much to take in and no matter how much someone may know you can always learn something or get better at what you do.

Im realistic, fair and see things in real life and not a fantasy world. By that I mean....too many people like stuff sugar coated. My feeling is if you're afraid of the truth dont ask for it, and if you do not not be afraid to hear what has to be said. I would rather have things presented to me straight forward to me and not served a candy coated turd instead. lol

I treat others with the same respect they treat me with. I give people a chance to explain their actions before jumping to conclusions and issuing a punishment or judgement.

I just appreciate the opportunity to possibly be able to help out the Stormtrack site as well as get to know you all better. Whether im chosen to be a moderator or not I will always be a member of the forums.

Thank you!

EDIT: This poll has been suspended several days until we get some issues sorted out with the moderator terms we established in December. We will restart the poll ASAP. I do apologize for this.

- If you volunteered but we missed you, let me know as I may have overlooked this while paging between multiple screens of PMs, emails, and threads.

Thanks!

Tim

Tim,

I haven't heard anything yet from the PM I sent you a few days ago and don't want to be left out when this poll resumes. I indicated my interest in becoming a moderator in the original thread (post #9). Please let me know that you are aware of this oversight.

Thanks,
Mark

Back