Stormtrack Board Speed

The fact that Dreamhost is oversold is water under the bridge. What I'm seeing in our logs is that we are consuming astronomical amounts of CPU time. What is normal for boards is to consume 60 CPU seconds a day, not 60 CPU minutes. This is solely the fault of our database or software, and from that I'm assuming we're being throttled somehow.

I have given a lot of thought to what could be causing trouble with our huge database, and what might be causing the intermittent problems. Right now the most obvious culprit is the search box (which presumably causes the board to access a huge chunk of those 400 MB of mysql tables).

So what I've decided to do is hold off on the board move and disable the search function, and see how things hold up over the next couple of days.

Tim

What about a paypal tip jar to pay for a new dedicated server? I'd throw $20 bucks in to get it started.
[/b]

Here, here! StormTrack has proved an invaluable resource, one that I appreciate so much. Whether it's $5 a year or $5 a month, it's a "service" that I'm willing to pay for. Especially to drop the ads, imho. There may be accountability issues that no one really wants to deal with regarding this though. Sell $10 StormTrack stickers maybe?

I trust the admin and mods will figure something out but agree that dropping everything right away might be too hasty...but again, we are all guests here.

Especially to drop the ads, imho.
[/b]

This is getting way off track on the recent slow downs. Let's just see how the recent changes effect the speed and go from there.

As far as the ads...they don't bother me one bit. I barely even notice them.

Actually, the board seems to be running blindingly fast today, faster than I've ever seen it - or perhaps it just seems that way after the unbearable slowness of the past few days. In any event, whatever you did, I'd say it seems to have fixed the problem completely, at least for now. I find it hard to believe that just turning off the search function could accomplish so much. Was search really that slow and CPU intensive? Seems strange to me... But you can't argue with success. Good job, Tim, whatever it was that you did, it seems to have done the trick.

Same here with the View New Posts feature.

The error returned was:
Sorry, but you do not have permission to use this feature. If you are not logged in, you may do so using the form below if available.[/b]

I use this feature whenever I log on, but if this is one of the things causing the slowdown, I could live without it.

Faster today for me. I wonder if there is a way to convert the old threads to static HTML pages. I notice a lot of boards do this to older threads, the URL will be a web page with a filename matching the thread title. (For instance, this one would be http://stormtrack.org/forum/Stormtrack_Board_Speed.html)
Since the current topics go all the way back to early 2004, maybe moving everything older than 2-4 months off of the main database would speed things up without losing the search function.

Obviously Dreamhost issues continue. I am researching moving this site to a different host.

I saw the outage earlier today and put in the report... they didn't seem to know about it but verified it as offline. Not sure what they did... they didn't send a reply back as they usually do.

Tim

I've established space at Verio. When time permits I'll see about doing the move.

Tim

Back