"Stormchasers" Jim Reed and Mike Theis on Today Sh

Personally, I just don't understand why people find it so hard to accept that some chasers like to intercept hurricanes. When I chase a hurricane (and hopefully within the next year) I'll be doing it for my own self, just to expierence the extreme weather (as you can tell, I love it... I'm 16 and already have chased >10 states pursuing it), and of course a miniDV will likely be in my hands too. There ain't nothing wrong with chasing canes... Just don't be idiotic, and make sure you have expierence with dangerous weather.

Originally posted by Jim Bishop
Most storm chasers are not researchers doing it for scientific measurements. Some just want to experience extreme weather. Is that too difficult to comprehend?
Not at all. But many DO make that claim, including the three I have seen on TV already. So are they liars?

What did these chaser(s) steel?
The limited resources of people in distress.

Since when was storm chasing(cane chasing in this instance) supposed to be like a tupperware party? It seems crazy to me someone would have the urge to chase something less extreme than it could be. This is just one thing I've never understood at all, saying a chaser did this or that too dangerous thing. It is freaking storm chasing for crying out loud. I bet when one places themselves infront of something with 175mph sustained winds the thought has crossed their mind that this is a risk that just could kill them. A walnut could understand that. People like to believe others are steps dumber than themselves too often. You can do something really risky and still know what you are doing. I always get a laugh at these kind of topics. IMO, we get one life....if one wants to fly by the seat of their pants I hope they do that. If one wants/expects to have no instances of any kind of chaser having to be rescued then I think they had better stop chasing all together themselves. I imagine they were leaps and bounds more prepared than those in the path.

I do however think the video will change little either way(all this news and what happened could/should). People will always think it will miss them or weaken. I can understand some not able to drive out, but I'm not sure I can understand the inability to buy a few items(water, food) to get them by for at least a few days. Last I checked running water didn't cost much before it hit. I feel bad for them, but man it sort of bugs me they couldn't even take the initiative to fill up a few bottles of water and have even as little of a weeks worth of food available. Mandatory evacuation issued. Hmmm, I can't leave, maybe I should fill up some bottles of water(as I'm sure this was mentioned if they were being told to have an axe on hand to chop out of an attic!). I think it is sad how long it is taking to help them but when I think of how small of a thing most would have had to do to be MUCH better off right now I guess I feel a step less sad. I do however feel very bad for those that could't leave and died in the flooding. Going way off topic.......

Originally posted by rdewey
How do you know they didn't supply their own goods?
They didn't supply their own shelter. They used gas that could have been used by people fleeing the coast.

There ain't nothing wrong with chasing canes... Just don't be idiotic, and make sure you have expierence with dangerous weather.

This is exactly my point. I will also chase a CAT 1 or CAT 2 storm...maybe CAT 3 a safe way from the coast when it hits. BUT there is nothing safe about chasing a CAT 4 or CAT 5 when you are in the RED ZONE or GROUND ZERO. I think that is "idiotic" because it doesn't matter if you have experience with dangerous weather or not. Some things are so dangerous that the only answer is to stay away...regardless of experience. The ones with experience do stay far enough away...as evidenced by the majority of people on this forum who said "I sure hope chasers get the hell out of the there" or "I hope everyone moves their chase location way inland a safe distance" when Katrina went CAT 4 and especially CAT 5.

There has to be some cutoff from when it becomes too dangerous to chase. Judging from the video I saw, they are VERY lucky to be alive. I think most people recognized that this was no oridnary storm and that everyone just might need to take one step back and put life safety first.

Would ANY of you put yourselves in front of an F5 tornado with a video camera if you knew you could get there. Serious answers only, please.

On an aside: Some of the responses here seem to be getting a little heated. I'd like to suggest we keep things respectable since we are all here as 'friends'. Mkay?

And I think their so-called "experience" is being overestimated too. The reason they were in Mississippi is because they thought the eye was going to hit New Orleans. Had they known that Biloxi was ground zero, they most likely would have been east of Pensacola.

And while we're at it, let's have a discussion about the similarities between taking shelter under an underpass and in an open parking garage that faces the storm.

Originally posted by HAltschule
There ain't nothing wrong with chasing canes... Just don't be idiotic, and make sure you have expierence with dangerous weather.

This is exactly my point. I will also chase a CAT 1 or CAT 2 storm...maybe CAT 3 a safe way from the coast when it hits. BUT there is nothing safe about chasing a CAT 4 or CAT 5 when you are in the RED ZONE or GROUND ZERO. I think that is "idiotic" because it doesn't matter if you have experience with dangerous weather or not. Some things are so dangerous that the only answer is to stay away...regardless of experience. The ones with experience do stay far enough away...as evidenced by the majority of people on this forum who said "I sure hope chasers get the hell out of the there" or "I hope everyone moves their chase location way inland a safe distance" when Katrina went CAT 4 and especially CAT 5.

There has to be some cutoff from when it becomes too dangerous to chase. Judging from the video I saw, they are VERY lucky to be alive. I think most people recognized that this was no oridnary storm and that everyone just might need to take one step back and put life safety first.

Would ANY of you put yourselves in front of an F5 tornado with a video camera if you knew you could get there. Serious answers only, please.

On an aside: Some of the responses here seem to be getting a little heated. I'd like to suggest we keep things respectable since we are all here as 'friends'. Mkay?

Not sure if I agree with the earlier statement... IMO, it doesn't matter if a Hurricane is more powerful then the other by an extra 50MPH sustained winds. If you know what you're doing around dangerous weather, then your probably gonna make it out safely. What I meant by not acting "idiotic" was meaning just that... Don't be acting like a jerk around severe and extremely dangerous weather just to get video, because you'll likely kill yourself with >175MPH gusts throwing debries around at you.

As for the "F5"... Well, I would not know if it's an official F5 when chasing it, but when you say "in front of it", do you mean IN THE PATH of it? I don't think anybody would do that besides suicidal people. Close range? Yeah, of course... If I can do it safely, I like getting close to tornadoes.

Close range? Yeah, of course... If I can do it safely, I like getting close to tornadoes.

Yes, of course I meant "in front", "in the path", as in will get "run over" by the tornado.

With Katrina, there is NO WAY they could have safely chased this thing being where they were and it's intensity. When your hotel has 4 deet of water in the lobby and throught floor 1, and a car is slamming against the glass of the entranceway because of the waves that are 30 feet higher than normal....that aint safe.

As far as different instensity hurricanes go, a CAT 1 with a 2-4 foot storm surge is a heck of a lot safer and weaker than a CAT 4 with 25-30 foot storm surge. A 50mph difference in sustained wind speed can have profund effects on the kinds of damage that can occur and the how big the surge will be. So, I'd have to disagree with you...there is a BIG difference between CAT 1 (or CAT 2) and CAT 4 (or 5).

So, what's the deal? The fact is, they live in America, and if they want to chase they can...

As far as using gas from those locations, since when is gas restricted to only members of a community? Also, if they took shelter in an un-occupied parking garage, who did they directly harm? What about people who were down there on vacation, shouldn't they be criticized too?

Again, everyone is entitled to their opinions, but those guys did nothing illegal, and in my opinion, they acted ethically...

Intercepting high-end hurricanes is deadly business, period. Experience doesn't change that. Those who choose to go understand this, but I don't think they care. It's all about the draw.

Originally posted by Rob_Davis
And I think their so-called \"experience\" is being overestimated too. The reason they were in Mississippi is because they thought the eye was going to hit New Orleans. Had they known that Biloxi was ground zero, they most likely would have been east of Pensacola.

How in the world do you know? C'mon Rob... You have no idea how they chose their target. Tim Marshall said he tried to get east of Slidell to get nearer the eye, but couldn't due to the deteriorated conditions. Tim is arguably one of the most respective chasers in the field; he's one of the "forefathers" if you will. In addition, he is an engineer, does many NWS tornado damage assessments and knows well the structures to be for given conditions. Jim Reed has chased many hurricanes, and I assume he knows equally well how to remain safe.

I have no problem with chasers who choose to chase hurricanes as long as they don't take valuable resources from those who are really victims or need to be "rescued".

Again, everyone is entitled to their opinions, but those guys did nothing illegal, and in my opinion, they acted ethically...

Another interesting point. And this is sort of off topic. But:

1. Was there a mandatory evacuation order in effect and were they really allowed to be there as a result?

2. Did they have a room booked at the Holiday Inn and did the staff there allow patrons to remain? It sounds like a huge liability on the hotels part if there were evacuation orders given.

I ask this because I wonder the authorities allowed anyone in those areas during the evacuations or did they require to everyone to get out. Just wondering.

Originally posted by HAltschule

This is exactly my point. I will also chase a CAT 1 or CAT 2 storm...maybe CAT 3 a safe way from the coast when it hits. BUT there is nothing safe about chasing a CAT 4 or CAT 5 when you are in the RED ZONE or GROUND ZERO. I think that is \"idiotic\" because it doesn't matter if you have experience with dangerous weather or not.

Well, I guess this is where you and I most certainly differ. I really have no desire to chase a CAT 1 or CAT 2. If I'm going to chase a hurricane, I'm going to hope for a high-end CAT 3 or above. Really, what more would you get from a CAT 1 or 2 that you wouldn't get from strong thunderstorm outflow winds, except for the fact that the wind would continue on for a much longer duration. It's not "idiotic" - it's wanting to experience Mother Nature at her worst. Personally, I would love to view the stadium effect within the eye of a strong hurricane.

Some things are so dangerous that the only answer is to stay away...regardless of experience. The ones with experience do stay far enough away...as evidenced by the majority of people on this forum who said \"I sure hope chasers get the hell out of the there\" or \"I hope everyone moves their chase location way inland a safe distance\" when Katrina went CAT 4 and especially CAT 5.

Well, I have some news for you, but most of the ones who were down there chasing Katrina are highly experienced and are considered some of the best in the business. From the names of those chasers mentioned, that should be VERY obvious to anyone who's followed chasing for any significant period of time.

I have been in the path of tornadoes before, as have many chasers who've been doing it for any amount of time. I made sure I had an escape route, and I moved when it became necessary to do so. That's called preparation - the same type of preparation that's done by those who chase hurricanes to help lessen the risks - and yes, there will always be risks inherent in storm chasing, regardless of the amount of preparation. Whether it's an F5 or not really doesn't matter. F0's and F1's can be just as deadly to anyone caught in one.

Back