"Stormchasers" Jim Reed and Mike Theis on Today Sh

Rob_Davis wrote:

The government is now urgently requesting Amateur operators to help out. Every one of those chasers were Hams. Of course they are all home in their air-conditioned houses waiting for their check from CNN now, so I guess they won't be giving back to the community from which they stole.

I don't think Tim Marshall, Jim Edds, Roger Hill, Scott Blair, Roger Edwards, Warren Faidley, Jim Reed have ham radio license's. I can't find anything at http://www.arrl.org/. Some of the others might, but don't make broad statements with out the facts.

Agreed...

I really don't understand why hurricane "chasing" is often considered more "immoral" then typical storm chasing (supercells, tornadoes, etc.). Is it because a lot of people get affected and die from hurricanes more so then tornadoes? Often true, but some tornadoes can cause worse destruction then a lot of hurricanes... Yet, in a much more smaller of an area. At the moment, I'm pretty broke... And going down there to chase this would have costed me a whole bunch of money, otherwise, I would have been down there too (yet as AK said above, definitely NOT NO).

There is NOTHING wrong with chasing hurricanes, IMO.

What's unacceptable is praising them for going out of their way to place themselves infront of Katrina and not calculating the complete risk, evidenced by their second guessing brushes with the other side, WHILE AT THE SAME TIME, saying the refugees in New Orleans got what they deserved for not evacuating and finding it difficult to sympathize. Wish I could have been there.

Originally posted by Bryce Stone
Some pretty harsh accusations there, buddy. Entirely inappropriate to classify all hurricane chasers this way, because I'm fairly confident that, being human, many cane chasers want to help just like the rest of us.
I'm not sure how anybody could infer that I was speaking of "all hurricane chasers" when I was clearly referring to just the few that have been reported on here. If I was anti-chaser, I wouldn't be here. Far from it.

But so far, each and every one of them we have heard from or about all went down, got their video, and left. Not a one stayed behind to help. And almost all those that I have seen post their stories here proudly display their amateur call sign with their signatures.

So we have a couple who lost their cars. One that required a boat rescue. Another who took up limited shelter space while others drowned. None that went with any intention of providing any sort of valuable service. At least two so far who are promoting themselves on television as thrillseeking storm chasers.

No... I don't think I'm being harsh.

I think these guys, like anyone else, are free to do what they want. However, people get the wrong idea when they see this kind of footage. They think they can go out and do the same thing. It encourages Bevis and Butthead copycats. Sooner or later these guys (or other chasers) are going to be killed. They are taking too many risks in a game that is unpredictable to a certain point. My grandfather flew planes in WWII and he told me how some of the cowboy-type fliers seemed to have incredible, non-stop luck, but most of them never came home as they pushed their luck too far and it ran out.

I word to the wise.

Mike

Originally posted by Rob_Davis+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rob_Davis)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-Bryce Stone
Some pretty harsh accusations there, buddy. Entirely inappropriate to classify all hurricane chasers this way, because I'm fairly confident that, being human, many cane chasers want to help just like the rest of us.
I'm not sure how anybody could infer that I was speaking of "all hurricane chasers" when I was clearly referring to just the few that have been reported on here. If I was anti-chaser, I wouldn't be here. Far from it.

But so far, each and every one of them we have heard from or about all went down, got their video, and left. Not a one stayed behind to help. And almost all those that I have seen post their stories here proudly display their amateur call sign with their signatures.

So we have a couple who lost their cars. One that required a boat rescue. Another who took up limited shelter space while others drowned. None that went with any intention of providing any sort of valuable service. At least two so far who are promoting themselves on television as thrillseeking storm chasers.

No... I don't think I'm being harsh.[/b]

So they should have stayed and umm, do what, exactly? To my knowledge Mike T. is not a Ham (don't know about Jim), and anyway the request for Ham operators was days after the storm. What would you have these people do in the meantime? There is no shortage of volunteers and manpower is not a problem, the problem is lack of coordination and supplies. So basically all they could have done is hang around and use up food and water. Be realistic, there was no way for them to stay and help with the cleanup even if they wanted to (and we don't know that they did not want to). I was with Mike Theiss in 2004 when Cyclone tours stopped a chase with paying customers to help out a family in a heavily damaged house on May 29th. Those people were extremely grateful for the assistance. You need to know more about the people you are going to accuse of callousness. I know if Mike could have helped out in any way, wherever he was, he would have done so.

I think some people are just jealous...but that is just my opinion... :)

Did he go with any preparation or intention of helping? Has he taken a first aid or EMT course? Does he have a first aid kit in his car? Why isn't he a Ham? How much food and water did he bring?

There are quite a few chasers here who do all of those things before a chase. People who have the desire and ability to give, and not just take.

This irresponsible lack of good citizenship is the primary reason that the field of storm chasing has such a horrible image. I am no more impressed by it than I would have been by some thrillseeker who ran into the Twin Towers to take photos of burning people, and then ran out to go straight to CNN with a smile on their face.

Originally posted by Jay Cazel
Rob_Davis wrote:

The government is now urgently requesting Amateur operators to help out. Every one of those chasers were Hams. Of course they are all home in their air-conditioned houses waiting for their check from CNN now, so I guess they won't be giving back to the community from which they stole.

I don't think Tim Marshall, Jim Edds, Roger Hill, Scott Blair, Roger Edwards, Warren Faidley, Jim Reed have ham radio license's. I can't find anything at http://www.arrl.org/. Some of the others might, but don't make broad statements with out the facts.

I'm pretty sure a good majority of those you listed have ham licenses, and I know for a fact that Scott Blair does considering we've been chasing together since 1999.

So by some of the above logic, any chasers who witness a tornado affect a town, yet don't immediately stop and set up a net are stealing from the community. Give me a break. All of those guys listed above, and most others responsibly call in severe weather reports and are willing to share information, as I'm sure those who intercepted Katrina will be as well.

Jason

Originally posted by Anonymous
I think some people are just jealous...but that is just my opinion... :)

Yep, and I could bet A LOT of money on that. It's always occured to me that whenever somebody is selling footage and/or DVDs, your gonna find a lot of people saying it's "immoral" and bad. A lot of people treat that as something "evil" (probably because they'll never release a DVD in their entire life).

For instance, in this case... If your gonna be selling DVDs of Katrina, I believe the right thing to do would be to give some portion to charity (it's the right thing to do IMO).

It's always occured to me that whenever somebody is selling footage and/or DVDs, your gonna find a lot of people saying it's \"immoral\" and bad

I am very sure that my original post on this topic had absolutely nothing to do with jealousy or anything related to a DVD or exposure, etc. I am just really disappointed that some experienced chasers would put themselves in front of a MAJOR, destrcutive, record-breaking hurricane that is likely to cause fatalities. The bottom line of my original point is this: Experienced chasers should have known it was going to be that bad and should have made the decision NOT to place themselves in the most vulnerable location possible. Just like no one of us would put ourselves in the path of an F5 tornado. But after this, I am not so sure some wouldn't. My original point was to opinionate that their decision to stay where they did was either an irresponsible decision or an uneducated one. But other more in depth arguments can also be made and juistifiable. Sure there are some good things as a result of what happened, but they certainly don't warrant such risk in return.

Rob's accusations are absurd. Howie... do we tell you how to chase? no.

Video collected and accounts can be used for research purposes as well and improving hurricane forecasts (although this one was damn near spot on).

Of all of the chasers that chased this thing, the ones I know personally are about as non-selfish as they come.

Legitimate and experienced chasers all do this because its something they love, experiencing nature first hand. Secondly they provide valvuable service. Some of these guys make most if not all of their money off of shooting weather video and stills. are you going to blast someone for their way of making a living?

To get the hell out and get back to their homes is the best thing these guys could do. I do encourage anyone making any money off of any storm footage to contribute some back to the Red Cross or such. I've felt plenty guilty before for making money for footage of peoples' houses and live being destroyed. I've already donated some money back to the efforts.

Giving back monetarily is the best thing for chasers to do.

The Reed Timmer situation is a whole nother story. I chalk that up to inexperience, thrill seeking, and greed.

Originally posted by Jason_Politte+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jason_Politte)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-Jay Cazel
Rob_Davis wrote:

I'm pretty sure a good majority of those you listed have ham licenses, and I know for a fact that Scott Blair does considering we've been chasing together since 1999.

So by some of the above logic, any chasers who witness a tornado affect a town, yet don't immediately stop and set up a net are stealing from the community. Give me a break. All of those guys listed above, and most others responsibly call in severe weather reports and are willing to share information, as I'm sure those who intercepted Katrina will be as well.

Jason[/b]

I agree with you Jason on that all the guys that I said above will report what they see in the field. I was just making a comment that I could not find them on arrl.com. If I made a mistake I apologize.

Originally posted by Blake Michaleski
Rob's accusations are absurd.
I would like to clarify that selling video is not among my "accusations." I don't have a problem with that. I don't think any of those guys are going to make their investment back. Especially the ones whose cars are now in the Gulf of Mexico.

I don't claim to be a meteorologist, but none of the footage I have seen so far seems to have any profound scientific value. The whole "I do it for science" angle has been cussed and discussed here a few times, and in most cases I don't buy it. Although, I would prefer these guys say that on CNN than to tell the world they are storm chasers and make everybody look reckless and irresponsible.

As for the tornado analogy, Howie is right. It isn't valid unless you are the guy driving the "Tornado Attack Vehicle." And you will notice that pretty much everybody here seems to agree that that guy is either a reckless and irresponsible maniac or simply a showboating yahoo.

I don't see much difference between that guy and anybody that was within five miles of the beach in Mississippi.

Originally posted by Rob_Davis+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rob_Davis)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-Blake Michaleski
Rob's accusations are absurd.
I would like to clarify that selling video is not among my "accusations." I don't have a problem with that. I don't think any of those guys are going to make their investment back. Especially the ones whose cars are now in the Gulf of Mexico.

I don't claim to be a meteorologist, but none of the footage I have seen so far seems to have any profound scientific value. The whole "I do it for science" angle has been cussed and discussed here a few times, and in most cases I don't buy it. Although, I would prefer these guys say that on CNN than to tell the world they are storm chasers and make everybody look reckless and irresponsible.

As for the tornado analogy, Howie is right. It isn't valid unless you are the guy driving the "Tornado Attack Vehicle." And you will notice that pretty much everybody here seems to agree that that guy is either a reckless and irresponsible maniac or simply a showboating yahoo.

I don't see much difference between that guy and anybody that was within five miles of the beach in Mississippi.[/b]

Most storm chasers are not researchers doing it for scientific measurements. Some just want to experience extreme weather. Is that too difficult to comprehend?

Originally posted by Rob_Davis

Of course they are all home in their air-conditioned houses waiting for their check from CNN now, so I guess they won't be giving back to the community from which they stole.

I have not seen the video so I am very confused by this statement. But at the surface it seems out of line. What did these chaser(s) steel?

Back