"Stormchasers" Jim Reed and Mike Theis on Today Sh

Apparently the Nowcasters didn't let them know that there were 145-175mph winds and a deadly 25-30 foot storm surge about strike. Either that or they didn't think such a record breaking storm surge would have an impact on them. In my opinion, the best chasers knew they should not be anywhere near there. Case and point.

Well, since is has been almost unanimously agreed that the NWS bulletin predicting Armageddon was spot-on, I would have to say that their "nowcasters" have some explaining to do about this claim to being the best.

That bulletin is all the "nowcasting" anybody needed. :roll:

I don't personally know them, but I know OF them -- they are both experienced chasers. As long as they don't become "victimd", I don't have a problem with them chasing thing. IF chasers go in and get out safely, then that's fine. On the other hand, I'm upset by the folks who purposely go into the area to watch the hurricane, only to end up as "victims" themselves. In cases such as this, the chasers are taking valuable resources from people who didn't intentionally go there -- the chasers are taking spots on lifeboats that should be used for people who really need the help. However, if a chaser stays out of the floodwater and otherwise stays "safe", then more power to him. The problem isn't with chasers who go in and get out safely -- they aren't taking valuable resources. Just because YOU wouldn't chase a hurricane like this doesn't mean that they are "stupid". Don't judge folks who chased safely just because they did something you wouldn't.

Sure, in a sense they occupy some resources that could go elsewhere. These particular individuals, however, I know are gifted and experienced photographers/videographers. I admire them and the others who put themselves in harm's way to complete the historical record that will become a monument and memorial to the events; and will increase public understanding that saves lives and property in the future.

Originally posted by Michael Gribble
I don't see anything wrong with what they did. They are adults and they are capable of making their own decisions. If you want to take a more conventional/safety oriented approach to chasing, that's fine, but I don't think you should criticize other people for how they choose to chase. It is not like they had to be rescued. I have met Jim and I can assure you he knows what he is doing.

I second this. I feel that it's up to each individual to make that choice. If you're experienced and know the risks and how to mitigate them, then if you wish to chase something like this, I see nothing wrong with it. These storms do need to be covered, and there are few people as capable as capturing the wrath of something like this as a trained chaser who is also a trained videographer.

Originally posted by Rob_Davis
Well, since is has been almost unanimously agreed that the NWS bulletin predicting Armageddon was spot-on, I would have to say that their \"nowcasters\" have some explaining to do about this claim to being the best.

That bulletin is all the \"nowcasting\" anybody needed. :roll:

They got the video did they not??? Seems like to me the nowcasting worked. They were at ground zero.

I agree that Jim is definitely an experienced cane chaser... he's been at this for years. But he does this because he loves it and perhaps also because it's sort of his way to make money. As far as saying the video will be beneficial in showing people why they need to leave in the face of a hurricane, I don't buy that. If you want to show any video of why someone would need to evacuate, then show the hundreds of bodies floating in the water. If that doesn't convince someone, then nothing will.

They took the risk and they got back safely. As long as they don't do anything that would normally take away from what is avaliable to the residents than I am reasonably okay with it. I can see how this could harm the reputation of the chase community to some degree but that could be said for whenever there is national exposure. I do think this is a very important conversation to be having, while we have defined what kind of behavior is un-acceptable while chasing on the plains there has been little discussion on what kind of behavior should be deemed inapprotiate while chasing Hurricanes.

Originally posted by Jeff Snyder
On the other hand, I'm upset by the folks who purposely go into the area to watch the hurricane, only to end up as \"victims\" themselves. In cases such as this, the chasers are taking valuable resources from people who didn't intentionally go there...
I don't think it's a stretch to say that anybody who ends up in a refuge shelter along with the locals -- some of who are dying around them -- has ended up a victim. They sucked up limited resources for selfish reasons. If it weren't for Collura's car, a local could have saved his own car and been able to care for his family the next day.

Not getting washed out to sea while the guy next to you did isn't what I consider skill. It's luck.

The government is now urgently requesting Amateur operators to help out. Every one of those chasers were Hams. Of course they are all home in their air-conditioned houses waiting for their check from CNN now, so I guess they won't be giving back to the community from which they stole.

It sounds to me like they weren't quite sure if they had made the right decision as Katrina made landfall. According to the intreview, some second-guessing took place. Apparently they underestimated Katrina's fury. Collura too. These guys are experienced in what they do, and Katrina still took them by surprise. I think the same can be said for Katrina's victims, many of whom are from the lowest of socioeconomic backgrounds. Can we expect all of these people who chose to stay in New Orleans through-out the evacuations to have better forecast this hurricane than some of our own veteran members? Thousands of people made a bad choice that morning, perhaps some of our own included. With that said, I can't think if any chasers who can say they haven't put themselves in a situation that made them sweat bullets at some point in time. I know I have.

Mike is one of the more experienced hurricane chasers out there. I've known him since 1998 and he's been doing this since at least then. He was in all four FL 'canes last year, and in Dennis, Emily (Mexico) and both Katrina landfalls this year.

I met up with him near Talahassee on Sunday as we were driving out for Katrina and we had a long talk about possible targets and what to expect. It wasn't inexperience that led him to where he was. He knew what he was getting into and made the decision on his own, based on what he wanted to get out of the experience. I was in a parking garage in Gulfport a few blocks from Mike. He wanted to be on the beach...I did not. We each made our decisions, and that's fine.

So, you're entitled to your opinion about whether what Mike did was too dangerous, but please don't assume he accidentally got himself in over his head due to inexperience. He and Jim Reed *ARE* "chasers" and not just yahoos looking for TV time.

I know Mike and I know of Jim, they are experienced chasers and I'm absolutely certain that they both knew exactly what they were getting into. They chose to do it anyway - so what? I really don't know why people are accusing them of malfeasance. These guys are basically journalists, and what they did was no different than an embedded reporter in Iraq choosing to follow troops into battle. They know it's dangerous, they know the situation is possibly life-threatening, but it's where they want to be. If they survive, they come back with unique documentation of a historical event of great significance. Getting into the path of major hurricanes is what guys like Mike and Jim do, and it seems to me they do it quite well.

Oh yeah, and they love storms. Come on, does anyone really think that the motivation here is money? They are not going to get rich off of this, and anything they do make will probably just get plowed right back into their stormchasing efforts. The argument that they are using up needed resources is ludicrous given the magnitude of the event. Cut them some slack - they went in where most of us would not have chosen to go, and they came back safe and sound to tell about it, carrying some no-doubt spectacular footage. This is the United States, people here can and do chose to do life-threatening things every day, for a variety of reasons. As far as I'm concerned Mike and Jim should be congratulated, not demonized.

Disclaimer: I did not see this interview.

Some people made the good point that in very deadly events like this, a stormchaser should present him/herself as a journalist to minimize any potential perception as a thrillseeker. Not saying the chasers who did brave katrina are thrillseekers only; just saying that's what the TV-viewing public often gets from the interview or coverage.

A chaser, we seem to agree, has a responsibility to keep out of harm's way. Some people may punch the core now and then but those risks are calculated and result in vehicle damage instead of injury or death.

A journalist must at times risk life and limb to cover a story. A supercell is not a story until it cycles, becomes tornadic, and hits a town of some size. A hurricane at landfall is at all times a story with significance proportional to storm power and population affected. It's completely appropriate for a knowledgeable chaser to act as a journalist and risk death to cover a story. Conversely, it damages the reputation of the chase community to risk oneself and *not* provide a journalistic service to the community.

Rob_Davis wrote:
Of course they are all home in their air-conditioned houses waiting for their check from CNN now, so I guess they won't be giving back to the community from which they stole.

Some pretty harsh accusations there, buddy. Entirely inappropriate to classify all hurricane chasers this way, because I'm fairly confident that, being human, many cane chasers want to help just like the rest of us.

Are you guys trying to say hurricane chasing is wrong altogether, or that only chasing large hurricanes is wrong, or that chasing without extensive preparation is wrong? In the last case, I will say that even the best planned chases can go wrong.

So what's the point here? Is the general concensus going that cane chasing (interception?) is somehow not acceptable?

If you say cane chasing is irresponsible and immoral, you might as well throw in storm chasing in general.

I myself wanted to go down (not to NO!), but didn't due to other commitments.

Aaron

Back