Storm Chasing Canada??

A few tidbits from the North side of the border:

1) border crossings? Usually not much of a problem. My experience is that it's a bit longer for Canadians getting back into Canada, and Americans getting back into the U.S....they tend want to know what you're bringing back into your own company. Occasionally, there is some heightened level of security (for whatever reason), and that could hold you up a bit. I've found that there's more interest in you when you cross after dark (at the 24 hr ports). They tend to be a bit bored and they kind of wonder what you doing crossing the border at that time of the night. I always say "I'm storm-chasing!" when ask my purpose for crossing the border. I either get indifferent looks or "neat!" from the border guards.
2) there are chasers in Canada.
3) the highway system is pretty good and the fairly dense gravel grid road system OK when dry. Some secondary paved highways in Saskatchewan are in rough shape, however.
4) cell charges will be very high for american phones. Cell coverage is generally good, though there are some notable gaps.
5) CANWARN is Canada's version of SKYWARN. It's active during most events though membership is somewhat thin.
6) Canadian weatheradio uses the same frequencies/tone alert as NOAA wxradio. NOTE: half the time, the broadcasts are in French! You have to be a bit patient to wait until it switches back to English.
7) if you rely on a US gas card, most gas stations are different. Use your credit card. Gas is more expensive up here, too.
8) if you're looking for Canadian data links (including Canadian svr wx outlooks), feel free to use my website:

http://members.shaw.ca/wxdog/FPWDs.htm

COD, which chases up here, has great data links for the Northern Plains.

9) you can make svr weather reports to Environment Canada via 1-800-66-STORM or email at [email protected] Please note that US area codes south of the northern US states may not work for that 1-800 number.

10) The Canadian Prairies are very modern, sparsely populated, with large urban centers (Metro Edmonton and Calgary each have over 1 million people, Winnipeg has ~700,000, while Regina and Saskatoon have over 200,000 each)

11) during July, the scenary is amazing. The crops are growing and are often in bloom (yellow canola, purple-blue flax, etc.). Great for photography when storms are around.

12) much like the US plains, if things are relatively quiet, "run to the hills" (high plains). The Alberta Foothills (NW of Calgary) are prolific storm producers.

13) My chaser friends with ThreatNet up here seem pretty happy with it.

14) Canadian Radar has a fixed interval of 10 minutes! Doppler data is unavailable to the public.

15) the northern plains (U.S. - Canada) is HUGE...I repeat HUGE!

16) The boreal forest tree-line begins a bit North of Highway 16. Under a big ridge, that's often the best location for storms...but also a nearly impossible place to chase.

17) away from urban centres and major highways, you can often chase for an hour without seeing anyone else on the highway. You could actually have a supercell all to yourself.

Have Fun!
Pat

I have never gone chasing into Canada, but one of the things that poped into my head when thinking about chasing in Canada would be insurance for your vehicle. After speaking with my insurance I found I am not covered out side of the US. I know before crossing into Mexico you can usually purchase insurance before going into the country. Anybody know what/if insurance is required for Canada?

Back