Storm Chasing and Rentals

Scott Guidry

Hi all...first of all, you probably notice this is my first post. I've been a lurker for at least a couple years and finally decided to join :)

Has anyone chased with a rental vehicle before? My chase vehicle is basically my work vehicle, and most of my chasing has been across LA, MS, and AL, but this May, we're heading to the Alley for 2 weeks. I'm not about to take my work vehicle there so we'll be flying into Dallas, renting an SUV, and likely basing our first night near Norman if the SPC agrees. Of course I'll get the insurance.

Anyway, has anyone done this before? Any stories to share, and what do you think would happen if you turn in the vehicle with hail damage (just in case).

I just used a rental in my chase into the southeast Thursday; basically out of need for a car as I flew out for this particular setup. A reason I had never thought about before, but did after driving this, was a test drive. I managed to score a 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan (I'm an avid minivan chaser) for the trip and absolutely loved it! What a better way to decide on a chase vehicle than to try a few out. Obviously be careful with the rental.

I have another story which involves a hail-damaged vehicle (and may others have similar), but the chaser police will smack my wrist and make me sit in the corner if I talk about it, but its buried on my site with all the gory details.

Lastly, I know there are a few threads on rentals, some recent, but I'm too lazy to find them right now. Someone will throw those links up someplace with all you can handle on rentals and chasing.

Thanks Tony. I'll definitely search for those threads once I get home. I currently on my way back home right now from the SE outbreak.

im sure tonys credit is better then mine...but, i have found it difficult to get a rental car...

i tried to rent a nice SUV to go pick up a girl once, i was like...hell, $40 a day and i can pull up in a clean ride...why not do it?

well, i show up and there askin all kinds of things, the first thing they asked was how old i was...and i was like...18, and they were like...you gotta be atleast so and so age to rent one, and you need like a cosigner insurance information and they wouldent let me rent one!

i dont know if it was just the guy, cause i dont think he liked me very much...but i had cash money hoping to drive out of the lot with a car...and i didnt get to...

LOL, well I've rented many, many vehicles before, but never for chasing. It would be interesting to hear if someone ever brought one back b/c of hail damage or a busted windshield. That's what I'm concerned about. I would think if you take the optional coverage, there's nothing they could do...just tell them you were caught in the wrong place at the wrong time :)

LOL, well I've rented many, many vehicles before, but never for chasing. It would be interesting to hear if someone ever brought one back b/c of hail damage or a busted windshield. That's what I'm concerned about. I would think if you take the optional coverage, there's nothing they could do...just tell them you were caught in the wrong place at the wrong time :)

As long as you dont capture it on film too much you should be okay.:rolleyes:

Many time chase rental user

I've chased many times with the rental. A couple of things to remember when doing so.

Get whatever extra coverage is available, and read all the exclusions. Some companies have specific policies regard off-road use (which many Texas backroads can be considered off-road). Also, if your using for business purposes (i.e. are you making money off the rental), than there are certain policies regarding that. If possible, get extra coverage from a major credit card, it likely is cheaper than the $20 daily rate from the rental companies. I recommend American Express, which I've used many times renting a vehicle. They charged me $25 for the entire 3 week rental period.

In on year, unfortunately me and the chasers I was with experienced a bit of hail, and of course put lots of miles on the vehicle. We didn't purposely mistreat the rental, but that year was particularly damaging to the SUV. Luckily I did use the AMEX because the rental company did put in claim for the damage, but AMEX took care of it, and I only got a courtesy call from them telling there was a claim, but they took care of it, and I had to do nothing.

I know many chasers have been somewhat vocal about situations like this, but I took on all the liability myself and made sure I covered my butt by reading all the policies and limitations. I also, at no point said what I was doing. While there were no exclusions for storm chasing, I figured if they didn't know, they would penalize other chasers down the road for which many rent without having any damage (like the other many rentals I've had since).

Price wise, you have to search around. Renting out of DFW always net me the best price, and always had an SUV or Minivan. OKC rarely had a SUV or MiniVan available. Denver was the next closest city that had both SUV and Minivans but usually ran hundreds of dollars more (plus higher taxes). And when your talking three weeks worth of rentals, $10 - $15 per day difference adds up.

I've since returned to my own chase vehicle for 90% of chasing. Nothing replaces the ability to custom install all the equipment you need to have, with minimal loose wires and clutter. But then again, like Tony said, I love those new Dodge Caravan's (Chrysler Town&Country) so I may rent for excuse to drive one of those.

oh yeah one more thing

I forgot to mention.....don't rent for hurricane chasing....most policies I've read (since Katrina) now exclude coverage is evacuation areas, which is of course where you want to be for the hurricane.

Thanks Jason...many good points you have there. I have rental coverage included with my personal auto insurance, but I'll also get their coverage, or possibly like you did, use AMEX. We'd either be renting from DFW or Love Field if we fly Southwest. All I'm doing is waiting for my partner to see which week he's out of class and then we'll probably book it.

As for hurricane chasing, because of my career choice, I must be where the storm hits in advance and throughout the storm. I then usually have to stay there for at least a week afterwards. Therefore, my company vehicle is technically a chase vehicle so it's equipped like one :)

One of the threads Tony may be referring to is this: http://stormtrack.org/forum/showthread.php?p=117816

In addition to what's been said, I think it's a good idea to understand the renter's policies and exclusions on where and what roads you can drive. I don't think anyone's reported it happening yet, but I would be nervous when I chase about damaging th e rental vehicle off on an unapproved road. When I looked into renting a 4x4 in Alaska I was surprised to learn you weren't supposed to drive it on unpaved roads -- even unpaved state highways!:eek:

I've both rented out of Phoenix and flown to DEN a few times. Renting off-airport in Phoenix is cheaper and you don't have to fit all your gear into carry-ons and checked bags. If you can get to the renting location in one day I'm inclined to rent from home, since flying won't save you much if any time or money by the time you're done with all the hassles of even a short flight. IMO, FWIW.

Last edited by a moderator:
I did think about renting from home because I can get to Dallas in under 10 hours...probably closer to 8, however with my luck, by the last day of our "chasecation", we'll be in Nebraska or somewhere 2 days away.

True, Scott, but think of the metrics of that. You have to allow enough time to return the car and make your flight or you're SOL, versus punching through a few more hours on the road -- quite feasible with more than one driver and knowing there's a soft bed waiting at home.

I rented several times from Hertz. For AAA members, they offer unlimited mileage, don't charge extra for additional (member) drivers, and have discounts and promotions. At least the last time I checked the road restriction was limited to "unmaintained" roads or off-road travel -- not unreasonable.

You've convinced me David :)

Before reading your post, I quickly added up a few things. On our final day, like you said, we would have to make our way south to catch the flight. If we're far enough north, we may need to take a whole day of traveling just to get to the airport in time. If we drive, I'm going to add a whole day just to travel to Oklahoma City. If we leave at 5am, we'll get there by 3 - 4pm.

I just sent a drawn out plan for renting from home. I'm convinced this is the way for us to go. Now it's just to convince my chase partner :)

Back