• A friendly and periodic reminder of the rules we use for fostering high SNR and quality conversation and interaction at Stormtrack: Forum rules

P.S. - Nothing specific happened to prompt this message! No one is in trouble, there are no flame wars in effect, nor any inappropriate conversation ongoing. This is being posted sitewide as a casual refresher.

Storm Chaser Medical Advisory Hotline and Acute Care Service--A FREE Service

A BIG THANKS goes out for both, Jason and Elinor! When you're out away from home it will be good to know you can call someone with a medical question or problem. Thanks again.

Looks like Monday is going to possibly be a big chase day in this area. I plan to be out doing some major chasing! Just want to remind folks that are traveling to remember to bring your medications. Also, a first aid kit is also essential. It doesn't need to be anything elaborate.
When I know i am traveling, I keep a list of current meds, any medical conditions and a list of emergency phone numbers with me. I place that info in the glove box and remove it when I return home.
Hopefully Dr. Persoff will be in the plains next week! His generosity is amazing and has inspired me to try and do something helpful for the chase community. My phone number is listed above, I do texting and hopefully nobody will need any medical services!

I can't thank Jason enough for being there for me and giving me the advice he did. For a while I was thinking something was seriously wrong with me, but in talking to Jason he clearly explained what was going on and gave me advice on what I needed to do. I am feeling much better after taking his advice. Jason, thank you for being there for all of us and for this wonderful service you provide!

As many have heard by now, I have moved back to the dryline (from Jax, FL, to Centennial, CO). This has no real substantive effect on the medical hotline, but allows me to be closer to many more chasers out here.

As we move into the busier weather season, and April Outbreaks are less than 10 days away, I will post my presentation from ChaserCon available to any interested. It is distributed in Powerpoint format, and thus any who would like can use the slides (YouSendIt only allows me to keep it posted until 4/8/12, but I can repost it if desired at later dates). I only ask that appropriate creative credit be noted if used for other presentations (and never for commercial use).

https://www.yousendit.com/download/M3BtRm8zTkFBNkhFdzhUQw

Stay safe this season and know we've got your back. :)

Your presentation was the highlight of the con for me. If I see you this spring, dinner is on me.

Jason
Luck favors the prepared

Jason, you are exceptional. I watched your presentation at ChaserCom via live stream (couldn't attend in person) and was impressed with both your insights and your sense of humor. Thank you for making your medical expertise available to us once again this season. Blessings to you in your move back to Colorado, and good luck and safe chasing.

I see that you are no longer working for Mayo Clinic. I notice that you have mayo.edu email on your contact page. Do you still have working mayo.edu email?

‎(Thank you to Jeff Piotrowski and Don Perlin! Images below used with permission.)

As many of you know, I run a free, confidential medical hotline for storm chasers (http://stormdoctor.com/). Recently, one of my good chaser friends required a temporary admission to the hospital where I work (University of Colorado) and we took it upon ourselves to mock up a new look for the chase medical hotline. I've included it below--though I still am enamored of the amazing handiwork of one of Marvel Comics' best artists, Don Perlin, who made the second one for me :). Thanks guys!
StormChaseHotline.jpg
Stormdoctor.jpg

Just know that the hotline is still both active and always available. All services are confidential and free.​

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the update, Jason. You are The Stuff! I hope I never need to take advantage of your generous service, but I'm glad that you make it available.

To my friends here: life is fickle and fleeting--we all need to take advantage to live life to its fullest at every opportunity. This spring, instead of storm chasing, I need to pursue issues with my own health which will keep me away from chasing and from the hotline for the next few months. I'll barrel ahead with gusto and hope. I hope you'll understand that I am not in a place where I feel comfortable sharing this information publically for now. Should you need the hotline, leave a message. I promise that when I return I'll answer the call. But expect a bit of an electronic blackout so that I can focus for now. Until 2014, I'll wish you all many a rain-free base...

To my friends here: life is fickle and fleeting--we all need to take advantage to live life to its fullest at every opportunity. This spring, instead of storm chasing, I need to pursue issues with my own health which will keep me away from chasing and from the hotline for the next few months. I'll barrel ahead with gusto and hope. I hope you'll understand that I am not in a place where I feel comfortable sharing this information publically for now. Should you need the hotline, leave a message. I promise that when I return I'll answer the call. But expect a bit of an electronic blackout so that I can focus for now. Until 2014, I'll wish you all many a rain-free base...

Jason,

Thank you for the service you have provided all of us over the past several years, it especially meant a lot to me when I thought I had something seriously wrong with me and I contacted you and you stayed in contact with me during that time. I think all of us can understand you needing to use this time to take care of yourself and look after your own health, and not knowing the details of what you're going through I will end this with saying I will send my thoughts and prayers your way and hope you overcome whatever health issue you're currently facing. You need to focus on yourself!

We wish you well Dr Persoff. Thanks for all you do and make available to everyone. Take care of yourself and know I wish there were some way we could return the favor. If there is, let us know.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

My thanks to Jason, too. I can confirm he has helped myself and Shannon out of a few binds during the past several years when our doctor was unavailable. He also did some amazing workups in one instance where we were trying to make sense of a CT scan, and it definitely set us on the right course.

We look forward to having him back soon.

I'm back in full swing. All my health problems are better and I'm able to return to a full and healthy life! Yeah me! Please don't hesitate to use the hotline unrestricted. Today I'm trying to snag my son his first ever tornado along the Colorado Front Range! Thank you for all the well-wishes!

Jason is a great guy, certainly if I get malaria I will get a second opinion from him before following a local doctors advice to drink more coconut

Sent from Bangladesh

Jason is a great guy, certainly if I get malaria I will get a second opinion from him before following a local doctors advice to drink more coconut

Sent from Bangladesh

Well...that depends if that coconut is being carried by a European or African swallow...

Thanks Scott--really wanted to thank everyone who came to ChaserCon this year. Service is up and running as usual...and this year, I believe, I shall rejoin the herd :).

I second that as well, Jason is awesome for offering the service that he does to all of us. A couple years ago I thought something was seriously going on with me, and with a phone call Jason explained to me what was going on and I followed his advice and quickly recovered. During that time, he called a few more times to check in on me. I can't thank him enough for that, and for what he continues to do.

Back