ST Target Map

I am bringing up an old topic... but what has happened to this feature? I would really love to see it again. If we don't resurrect it here, is there another website that has a feature like that?

It looks like there was much interest in bringing it back (as mentioned in this thread), I think people would use it.

A nice feature indeed, tho I was never around back then to use it, but I like the sound of it and would like to see it back.

I have a [free] google maps account that I use for myself, before I set out on a chase I "draw a shape" [as they call it] over my target zone, then when I come back I highlight the roads I took and use pin-points to attach photos to their respective locations to see how I did. Its a neat way to document chases.

Well, I didn't hear back from Tim... I know he's busy. I sent him a message about posting this before I even saw this topic. I wanted to make sure it was kosher to do so (since I work on the site, and it's a website in the same vein as ST). But the TOS here didn't seem to have any problem with our site, the site is free and open to all, and I think/hope it's what you guys are looking for. Besides nothing can replace ST for chaser news and discussion!

www.virtualstormchase.com

Their contest got going back around the same time as the Target Map here. I kicked myself when I first saw the Target Map on here because I'd had a passion to put something together like that for years. But the opportunity presented itself this offseason to take this contest to the next level, and I think it's really awesome what we put together.

Hopefully that will offer a chance to casually post your target... or to get active in competition if you have a little more time.

Thanks
SY

I did try to get our map system going a few months ago, as it had some PHP errors. I'm not a PHP expert so I emailed the guy who programmed it. Since that was years ago, it apparently went to a nonworking email address and I forgot about it. I'll likely turn this over to one of my small-time contract programmers and let them look at it. We will continue to use our own map system rather than the others as I prefer to tailor the maps & features to our own requirements, and the whole thing has traditionally been a Stormtrack project.

Anyhow this past week has been "hell week" as far as moving... I spent the past several days moving out of our old house. Now it looks like I'm finally in Norman permanently. Whew.

Tim

Tim, I'll gladly take a look at it. I'm currently working on a new system that will be JavaScript based. This is something I started a little bit ago and will continue to work on even if you decide to use what you have.

Cheers,
Andrew

Google maps has tons of features now and you can even embed it in web sites. My guess is it wouldn't be rocket science to get a version of this working with Google maps and embed the map on a Stormtrack page. I may be doing a type of Google map on TornadoXtreme soon in relation to position reporting on a chase along with live streaming.

Also, obviously Spotternetwork which also displays on a Google map has the ability to mark reports for display. In another application such as Target Map chasers could just sub their target as opposed to their report. I don't know if it makes sense to include this as part of Spotternetwork guess we could get Tyler's opinion here. Also, my guess is he'd be willing to work with any of you (time allowing of course) to show how targets could be plotted on such a map similar to how it is done with Spotternetwork on Google maps.

That's cool.
It's interesting how our minds think alike.
I got the inspiration for this style of mapping from the invaluable stormreportmap.com back in the day.
I've got a list of upgrades to make (including working on the layout a lot), but I've never messed with SQL databases before and wouldn't have had a clue where to start advertising for something like this if not for meeting up with others with like minds... so it shows there's a quite a few imaginative people out there :)

Also, obviously Spotternetwork which also displays on a Google map has the ability to mark reports for display. In another application such as Target Map chasers could just sub their target as opposed to their report. I don't know if it makes sense to include this as part of Spotternetwork guess we could get Tyler's opinion here. Also, my guess is he'd be willing to work with any of you (time allowing of course) to show how targets could be plotted on such a map similar to how it is done with Spotternetwork on Google maps.

From the SN side of things it would be interesting if folks would use a Google Maps interface to drop a balloon on their target location before/during their chase. The SN could then plot all the 'destinations' of the active and 'moving' spotters. Hurm...would folks actually do that?

This would need to be different than the ST or virtualstormchasing website as this would need to be heavily paired down to only those folks who are actually moving. Nobody wants to see the guy in KY dropping his destination in OK when he's not even in his car. But it would be fun for the KY guy to 'virtual chase' that way, just not on the SN.

Damn it! I need a grant so I can quit my day job and work on AH and SN stuff full time. There's so much cool stuff to work on.

Back