Sprint vs. Cingular Broadband Cards

We use Cingular at the station. It's very good service. We got the roof top antennas for the cards, which helped when we get off into the boonies. I have had no problems with download speeds and I am able to keep up to date with the weather situation.

Well, I made my choice today and went with Cingular's broadband card & unlimited data plan. It seems the best one out there and suits my purposes better than Sprint. Thanks for all your posts and advice. Hopefully, I'll be happy with their service. I'll post a review of sorts later on in the summer...

Fabian

I got the Cingular GC-83 data card last year and have been happy. I notice a distinct improvement by using an external mag mount antenna. Reception this year has been solid on the interstates, where we routinely have a constant high speed connection while driving. On May 5th, when we went on a chase to West Texas, we had a reliable and constant connection while on I-20 all of the way from the DFW metroplex to Big Spring. We turned north to Lamesa on Hwy 87 and lost the connection about 10 miles north of I-20, which was a disappointing, but it is quite a rural area. We got the connection back with no problem as we neared I-20 again later that evening.

I got the Cingular GC-83 data card last year and have been happy. I notice a distinct improvement by using an external mag mount antenna. Reception this year has been solid on the interstates, where we routinely have a constant high speed connection while driving. On May 5th, when we went on a chase to West Texas, we had a reliable and constant connection while on I-20 all of the way from the DFW metroplex to Big Spring. We turned north to Lamesa on Hwy 87 and lost the connection about 10 miles north of I-20, which was a disappointing, but it is quite a rural area. We got the connection back with no problem as we neared I-20 again later that evening.
[/b]

Just for comparison purposes. With my Sprint card I have data the entire length of I20 in Texas from border to border, and I also have Sprint coverage all the way up Hwy 87 to Lubbock. East of Lamesa to the caprock, west to Seminole and north up 137 to Brownfield save for about a 2 miles stretch there that is in between towers. And your right, it is pretty rural.

Just for comparison purposes. With my Sprint card I have data the entire length of I20 in Texas from border to border, and I also have Sprint coverage all the way up Hwy 87 to Lubbock. East of Lamesa to the caprock, west to Seminole and north up 137 to Brownfield save for about a 2 miles stretch there that is in between towers. And your right, it is pretty rural.
[/b]

Just curious about the antenna you use with your GC-83. I have a mag mount antenna from Mobile Mounting Solutions (www.mobilemounts.com). It seems to work pretty well but there could be better antennas out there. Where did you get your antenna?

Matt

Just curious about the antenna you use with your GC-83. I have a mag mount antenna from Mobile Mounting Solutions (www.mobilemounts.com). It seems to work pretty well but there could be better antennas out there. Where did you get your antenna?

Matt
[/b]

Matt,

I have the Sony gc83 card with Cingular service that works great. Not sure if Sprint has the gc83, but I am sure they would. The external antenna I use with my Cingular service and gc83 card is can be found here on ebay. It works excellent where there is coverage.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sony-Ericsson-GC75-GC8...1QQcmdZViewItem

Chris

Back