• A friendly and periodic reminder of the rules we use for fostering high SNR and quality conversation and interaction at Stormtrack: Forum rules

P.S. - Nothing specific happened to prompt this message! No one is in trouble, there are no flame wars in effect, nor any inappropriate conversation ongoing. This is being posted sitewide as a casual refresher.

Spotter Network: Embedded videos in training test inop

P Clay Underwood

Enthusiast
Adobe cancelled Adobe flash player in Dec 2020. The videos in the training tests run on flash player and need to be converted to updated playing software. I took the intro training test for thunderstorms and could not load the videos. I would pass if they were operating, but Flash player doesnt exist anymore.

Last edited:
Yep..flash is 'dead'

I can still play the videos on the training pages (just tried today) ... but really its a special case because I took some extra steps ahead of time to block all adobe spyware & auto disableing of outdated plugins.

Out of curiosity, I just grabbed some of the videos & converted one to MP4 today...in testing at home (on a locally saved version of the training page), it worked perfectly! (see example below)

Note to SpotterNetwork admin:
This is actually pretty easy to do, I should be able to convert the rest (going to try a few more sometime later). If you're interested let me know I'd be willing to try them all...

Attachments

• spot-net.jpg
    spot-net.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 0
Yep..flash is 'dead'

I can still play the videos on the training pages (just tried today) ... but really its a special case because I took some extra steps ahead of time to block all adobe spyware & auto disableing of outdated plugins.

Out of curiosity, I just grabbed some of the videos & converted one to MP4 today...in testing at home (on a locally saved version of the training page), it worked perfectly! (see example below)

Note to SpotterNetwork admin:
This is actually pretty easy to do, I should be able to convert the rest (going to try a few more sometime later). If you're interested let me know I'd be willing to try them all...

How does one "Block all adobe spyware & auto-disabling?" Or "grab one of the videos" for conversion locally?

David Cavaceci said:
How does one "Block all adobe spyware & auto-disabling?" Or "grab one of the videos" for conversion locally?
Blocking Adobe spyware/spying can be done through the windows 'hosts' file, which is what I'd originally done (Its very simple as long as you have admin access. It has to be done separatly on each computer if you have more than one)... Eventually I went with a way to block it at the network level (that takes something like a pi-hole or firewall).
For how to edit the 'hosts' file, just google "edit windows hosts file"

* Add the following entries to block Adobe/flash/etc spying (possibly disableing)
127.0.0.1 adobe.com
127.0.0.1 www.adobe.com
127.0.0.1 assets.adobetm.com
127.0.0.1 macromedia.com
127.0.0.1 www.macromedia.com

* And these for palemoon/firefox
127.0.0.1 addons.palemoon.org
127.0.0.1 addons.mozilla.org
127.0.0.1 versioncheck-bg.addons.mozilla.org

(note: you may get a security warning from you anti-virus .. you will need to allow / or add an expeption for these changes. They are safe no matter what it says)

Taking care of auto-disabling just means changing some browser settings. (and blocking )
This is for FireFox & PaleMoon (plus other variants) only .. won't work in Internet-Explore or Chrome

In the address bar type about:config
Click the warning about being careful
change the following (if needed). Note you may/may-not have all of them.

services.sync.prefs.sync.xpinstall.whitelist.required - false
xpinstall.signatures.required - false
xpinstall.whitelist.required - false
extensions.update.enabled - false
extensions.update.autoUpdateDefault - false
browser.download.hide_plugins_without_extensions - false
dom.ipc.plugins.flash.subprocess.crashreporter.enabled - false
dom.ipc.plugins.reportCrashURL - false
app.update.enabled - false
app.update.auto - false
browser.search.update - false
services.sync.prefs.sync.extensions.update.enabled - false
services.sync.prefs.sync.app.update.mode - false
services.sync.prefs.sync.browser.search.update - false
extensions.blocklist.url - (delete the url / leave blank!)
extensions.blocklist.enabled - false

(I think I got them all)
when done, simply close the window. All changes are auto-saved when you make them

---be aware of just what these settings are doing---
In simple terms its "turning off" checks for whitelisted addons, which is one way an addon can end up disabled.
Its also "turning off" addon and browser updates, this if left "on" is where most disabling/removing will happen.

Oh and grabbing a video file requires the browser addon "Video DownloadHelper" (but I think you need flash working or it won't 'see' the video).
You can watch the downloaded videos in VLC without converting them too.

-----------------
I had went and grabbed everything in the training section, with the plan to convert all the videos to MP4...then try to contact a SN admin & send them the files...haven't had time to go through any of it yet though.

Blocking Adobe spyware/spying can be done through the windows 'hosts' file, which is what I'd originally done (Its very simple as long as you have admin access. It has to be done separatly on each computer if you have more than one)... Eventually I went with a way to block it at the network level (that takes something like a pi-hole or firewall).
For how to edit the 'hosts' file, just google "edit windows hosts file"

* Add the following entries to block Adobe/flash/etc spying (possibly disableing)
127.0.0.1 adobe.com
127.0.0.1 www.adobe.com
127.0.0.1 assets.adobetm.com
127.0.0.1 macromedia.com
127.0.0.1 www.macromedia.com

* And these for palemoon/firefox
127.0.0.1 addons.palemoon.org
127.0.0.1 addons.mozilla.org
127.0.0.1 versioncheck-bg.addons.mozilla.org

(note: you may get a security warning from you anti-virus .. you will need to allow / or add an expeption for these changes. They are safe no matter what it says)

Taking care of auto-disabling just means changing some browser settings. (and blocking )
This is for FireFox & PaleMoon (plus other variants) only .. won't work in Internet-Explore or Chrome

In the address bar type about:config
Click the warning about being careful
change the following (if needed). Note you may/may-not have all of them.

services.sync.prefs.sync.xpinstall.whitelist.required - false
xpinstall.signatures.required - false
xpinstall.whitelist.required - false
extensions.update.enabled - false
extensions.update.autoUpdateDefault - false
browser.download.hide_plugins_without_extensions - false
dom.ipc.plugins.flash.subprocess.crashreporter.enabled - false
dom.ipc.plugins.reportCrashURL - false
app.update.enabled - false
app.update.auto - false
browser.search.update - false
services.sync.prefs.sync.extensions.update.enabled - false
services.sync.prefs.sync.app.update.mode - false
services.sync.prefs.sync.browser.search.update - false
extensions.blocklist.url - (delete the url / leave blank!)
extensions.blocklist.enabled - false

(I think I got them all)
when done, simply close the window. All changes are auto-saved when you make them

---be aware of just what these settings are doing---
In simple terms its "turning off" checks for whitelisted addons, which is one way an addon can end up disabled.
Its also "turning off" addon and browser updates, this if left "on" is where most disabling/removing will happen.
Interesting. I'm used to editing the hosts file to allow access. I guess I'm preventing access by mapping those URLs to 127.0.0.1 for networking reasons I don't understand, but that's cool.

After updating the hosts file, I see thumbnails that I didn't see before, but they just link to a separate page with no content. I tried using Firefox, and some of the settings you listed aren't found in my instance but I changed the ones I could find, but no change. If you go through the training now, are you able to play/download them?

@David Cavaceci
127.0.0.1 is from what I understand a special/reserved IP its basically a loopback or local-host (basically you're telling your computer to look at itself). Using the hosts file in that way is basically a nifty little trick to block sites you don't want accessed (most commonly used for blocking ads or spy stuff)
With those Firefox settings, it varies by what version you have if they're there or not.

I have a feeling the thumbnails you now see are for the videos, but flash itself isn't loading.
I can indeed still watch the videos in training (just checked to make sure before posting).

I did think of something else that might work (it did for me just testing):
With FireFox, go into training (a page you know has videos)
right-click in a blank area.
click 'save page as'
make sure type is set to 'web page complete'

That should save the whole page including any images & videos.
Look through the downloaded files, videos will be *.swf (ShockWave Flash) and as mentioned will play in something like VLC (but probably won't work in windows media player)

@James K
Thank you, saving a complete page included the contained files, including .swf, which I was able to play in VLC. Thanks for the tip. The issue now is that some flash media seems to have been removed completed. E.g.,

The Lightning page has a section with four lightning strike videos.
1629576763672.png

Downloading this page yields only one .swf. If any of the thumbnails are clicked, you're redirected to a sub page, Training: Login to the site. It appears as though this sub page once had these four videos posted, but none are there now. Downloading this page yields no videos. Do you experience the same thing in Firefox?

1629577146029.png

Hey there @James K. I too was unable to view the flash-based images in the test. Couldn't get your suggestions, above, for Firefox to work for me either. Appreciate any further suggestions you may have. Thanks!!

@David Cavaceci:
I think the lightning vid's worked back when I did training..
I didn't make it that far with going through & downloading/saving files. I'll try it later & let you know.

@JamieTee:
Yep, its apparently a little tricky to get to work. I also just recently read something that said if you're using Windows 10, it will block flash from running (I'm using win 7) so maybe that's it.
Did the saving complete web page trick not work for you? It should.

Thank you sir! I'm using a Windows 10 PC provided by my employer, and they've got a lot of security apparatuses on it. It may just not be possible to get around all that.

However, I do have access to a machine running Windows 7 and will try the test using this machine.

@JamieTee:
Welcome. and yep work computers can be pretty locked down!

@David Cavaceci:
With those lightning vid's, they are hosted on content.screencast.com rather than spotternetwork.org like the rest. I did get them to play.
It looks like the other parts in the Hazards segment are all the same way. I had to allow something for screencast.com (PaleMoon gave a notice about the site being not private & blocked by default .. since the 2 browsers are closely related, FireFox will do the same, see if there's a small symbol/icon just left of the address bar, & click on it. )
The link goes to training.disasterweather.org/mod/page/view.php?id=127 which doesn't exist (I believe that is an old possibly pre-spotternetwork link)
With some looking at other pages & a guess, I think the link should be training.spotternetwork.org/mod/page/view.php?id=82
The page loads with that url & spots for the videos appear but they won't play (a bit of digging, its because 'file not found' .. (this one I don't think I'm gonna be able to figure out))

Thanks all, we're aware of the issue and looking to resolve it. If someone would like to find replacement videos to use on YouTube, we'd love the help!

@John Wetter:
I've now managed to download most of the existing flash videos off SN (from the training section), I've tested converting a couple to MP4. The converted vid's do then play in a modern browser as a HTML5 video element (no browser addons or anything needed :) )
Right now is a busy time at work (and I have a couple projects at home I'm trying to get done before summer's over & it starts getting cold out)...but when things slow down, I'm going to take a look at going through & converting them all for you (probably in bits - one subject at a time). I've determined its not at all difficult, just a bit time consuming. I can PM you or something once I have some ready to send you..

Note with the new videos:
There's a bit of HTML that you guys will have to change on the various pages (adding a few lines of code to link up the new vid (and if you wish removing the flash-video code))...but I can give the info on exactly what to do there :)

Great news, James! Thanks for taking the time to figure it out!!

I've been unable to coax them into view in any way that I've tried. Would it be possible for you to save the MP4's for the test to a DropBox, OneDrive, or Google Drive location so we could bring them up when we hit those questions on the test?

@JamieTee:
Welcome. Now its just a matter of when I get the time to start converting. (I'm figuring the house-projects I'm working on will take the rest of weekends in Sept, so hoping to start going through/converting the downloaded training vids in Oct)

I'm not sure if I can do the test section or not...since I've already taken/passed the test, I don't want the system to get "confused" and think I'm re-taking it by simply looking through again. This is something I'm going to have to ask one of the admins.
I don't have a DropBox or Google Drive (or OneDrive - which like anything Microsoft is network-blocked on my end .lol.). I could possibly upload to my YouTube channel as 'unlisted' (so they wouldn't be searchable/available by the general YouTube userbase) then post the links here (YT might even auto-convert flash) as a temporary solution... for that I'd ofcourse have to get permission from a SN Admin for copyright reasons.

An update on this...
I have now converted all the videos with in: Part 1, Weather Defined
(just need to finish testing them)

Another update on this...
I now have most* of the videos in these parts converted (& tested in VLC, but not yet in a browser)
1: Weather Defined
2: Weather Movement
3: Thunderstorms
4: Thunderstorm Hazards

*there were a few issues, I'll make a more detailed post later...

Hi All, I know this has nothing to do with training videos, but I've posted in a few other places and I can't seem to get anyone to respond to me. I wish to change my user name and email on my Spotter Network Account before I take my test (messy separation...long story no one wishes to hear...) but I cannot do so until I can get the old one I had originally set up deleted. Can someone point me in the right direction on who I can contact regarding deleting my old account for me? Thank you so much.

@Christie.Carpenter
Usually one of the Spotter Network owners or admins will see & respond to questions about accounts/logins. It could be they are busy and haven't been on the forum here for awhile (I believe SN is ran by all volunteers).
You could try sending a PM to John Wetter - find his post farther back in this thread & click his username...there should be an option something like 'send message' or 'start conversation'

@Christie.Carpenter
Usually one of the Spotter Network owners or admins will see & respond to questions about accounts/logins. It could be they are busy and haven't been on the forum here for awhile (I believe SN is ran by all volunteers).
You could try sending a PM to John Wetter - find his post farther back in this thread & click his username...there should be an option something like 'send message' or 'start conversation'
Thank you šŸ˜Š

Here's the next update, this time breaking things down by section, with what was done, & successes/failures.
Starting with Part 1.
------------------

Part 1: Weather Defined

-1: Weather & Climate
---- 1 flash videos, 1 on main site.
---- Successfully converted to MP4.

-2: Measuring Weather
---- no videos

-3: Weather Geography
---- no videos

-4: The Atmosphere
---- 3 flash videos, 2 on main site, 1 for some reason is on content.screencast.com
---- All successfully converted to MP4.

-5: Air Pressure
---- 2 flash videos, 2 on main site

-6: Water & Weather
---- 2 flash videos, 0 on main site, 2 on content.screencast.com

-----------------------
Some notes:
All pages load a javascript "swfobject.js" (even if they don't have videos) .. since flash is not used, loading of this can be removed.
All pages also load 4 things from "yui.yahooapis.com" I have no idea what they're supposed to do since that site is (purposely) blocked on my network. Doesn't seem to affect anything.

Videos were tested using HTML5 code/the built-in browser player.
Test done in both FireFox, Palemoon, & Icedragon. All worked perfectly
(I technically have Internet explorer, but did my best to disable its functionality years ago, so did not bother testing there)

Attachments

• vid-1.jpg
    vid-1.jpg
    436 KB · Views: 0
I'd hoped to get these done quicker, but been busy...
here's the next update, similar listing to what was done with part one above.

------------------

Part 2: Weather Movement
-1: Motions Of Weather
---- 2 flash videos, 2 on main site.
---- 1 interactive flash animation.
---- Converted to MP4 (but ofcourse no longer interactive).

-2: Air Masses

-3: Jet Streams
---- 2 flash videos, 1 on main site, 1 on content.screencast.com

-4: Frontal Systems
---- 3 flash videos, 3 on main site

Some technical notes:
Test done in just Palemoon this time. A couple required clicking 'play' twice to make them go. (which may or may-not be a bug with the vid's, could also simply be the browser acting weird tonight)

* All pages load a javascript "swfobject.js" (even if they don't have videos) .. since flash is not used, loading of this can be removed.
* Pages 1,2,3 all load 3 objects from "www.disasterweather.org" I have no idea what they're supposed to do since said website no longer exists. (I believe this site may have been a previous incarnation of Spotter Network?)
* Page 4 loads 4 objects which appear to be the same as these ^ but from training.spotternetwork.org (I'm guessing some pages missed updates when the site got moved?)
* All pages load 4 objects from "yui.yahooapis.com" I have no idea what they're supposed to do since that site is (purposely) blocked on my network. Doesn't seem to affect anything.

Was able to get a 2nd update ready tonight, same details as what was done with part one above.

Part 3: Thunderstorms
-1: Introduction
---- Audio was improved on 2.

-2: Thunderstorm Dynamics
---- 4 flash videos, 2 on main site
---- 1 interactive flash, 1 on main site
---- Successfully converted to animated .gif (but interactivity ofcourse lost)

-3: Types Of Thunderstorms

-4: Thunderstorm Life Cycle
---- 4 flash videos, 2 on main site, 2 on content.screencast.com

Some technical notes:
Test done in just Palemoon this time.

* All pages load a javascript "swfobject.js" (even if they don't have videos) .. since flash is not used, loading of this can be removed.
* All pages load 4 objects from "yui.yahooapis.com" I have no idea what they're supposed to do since that site is (purposely) blocked on my network. Doesn't seem to affect anything.

Here's an update on the next section, I finally got around to testing all the videos I'd previously converted.
Unlike the all the previous previous sections, with this one I started running into issues on this one.
The 1st group of issues were when initially grabbing the flash files: some turned out to be dead links. (will be described videos-segment below)
The 2nd group of issues were when testing: my initial "test page" had all videos on a single page(same as was done in the 3 posts before this). With this some videos wouldn't load with an error of "no video with supported formats and mime type found". Every reload of the page would bring up different random videos with this error (and in a couple cases all videos.) Nothing different was done between these videos and previous sets, I believe the files themselves are fine ... I split the original test page into 5 separate pages, and they all worked fine after that. My only guess is too many videos (even with all set to NOT atuo-play) "confuses" a browser (this may well be the reason the original pages with flash were split up into so many small sections).

Part 4: Thunderstorm Hazards
-1: Lightning
---- 3 flash videos, 1 on main site, 2 on content.screencast.com
- This page also contains a link to a separate page with 4 additional videos:
--- "Lightning_Strike_Videos"
----- 4 flash videos, 0 on main site, 4 on content.screencast.com
----- All successfully converted to MP4.
----- Audio was improved on 2.

-2: Hail
---- 4 flash videos, 1 on main site, 3 on content.screencast.com

-3: Damaging Winds
---- 5 flash videos, 2 on main site, 3 on content.screencast.com
- This page also contains 3 links, each to a separate "Videos" page:
--- "Gust_Front_Videos"
--- "Downburst_Videos"
----- 2 flash videos, 0 on main site, 2 on content.screencast.com
--- "Macro_Micro-burst_Videos"
----- 3 flash videos, 0 on main site, 3 on content.screencast.com

-4A: Tornadoes
---- The tornadoes page and its associated sub-pages was the 2nd most challenging & time consuming of all the sections that were done.
---- 3 interactive flash files
---- All converted to animated .gif . Due to the nature of such conversions, interactivity is lost.
- This page also contains a link to a separate page with 3 additional videos:
--- "Wall_Cloud_Videos"
----- 3 flash videos, 0 on main site, 3 on content.screencast.com

-4B: Tornado Life Cycle
---- In addition to the above, there is a second part to tornadoes, which I will call 4B:
---- Audio was improved on 1.
- This page also contains 4 links, each to a separate "Videos" page:
--- "Maturing_Videos"
----- 6 flash videos, 0 on main site, 6 on content.screencast.com
----- Audio was improved on 3.
--- "Multi-Vortex_Videos"
----- !UNABLE TO CONVERT!
----- !!ERROR!!
----- The link goes to "training.disasterweather.org/mod/resource/view.php?id=127" which no longer exists
----- (I beleive this was from pre-spotter network times?)
----- Pretty sure the link should actually be "training.spotternetwork.org/mod/page/view.php?id=82". but...
----- Video #1 is linked as: "content.screencast.com/users/DisasterWeather/folders/Course/media/2cb22525-72c7-477a-ae00-98d771ccb373/flvplayer.swf"
----- This .swf internally links to "content.screencast.com/users/DisasterWeather/folders/Course/media/2cb22525-72c7-477a-ae00-98d771ccb373/mnvortex.flv" (which is the actual media file) ... this gives a 404-not-found error!
----- Video #2 is linked as: "content.screencast.com/users/DisasterWeather/folders/Course/media/1649186c-22d6-4398-9af1-5b16cc55b1d1/flvplayer.swf"
----- This .swf internally links to "content.screencast.com/users/DisasterWeather/folders/Course/media/1649186c-22d6-4398-9af1-5b16cc55b1d1/canadavortex.flv" (which is the actual media file) ... this gives a 404-not-found error!
----- I Need An Admin To Look Into These Please!! (I have done as much as I can here)
--- "Roping_Out_Videos"
----- Audio was improved on 1.
--- "Fujita_Scale_Videos"

-5: Flash Flood
---- The flash flood page and its associated sub-pages was the certainly most challenging & time consuming of all the sections that were done.
---- 2 flash videos, 0 on main site, 1 on content.screencast.com
---- Audio was improved on 1.
- This page also contains 2 on-site links, each to a separate "Videos" page:
--- "Explained_Videos"
--- "Examples_Videos"
- In addition there are 2 off-site linked flash files (named here after their filenames):
--- "Main_Experience"
----- !!ERROR!! but...
----- This was an interactive flash file ... off-site linked to floodsmart.gov , and gave a 404 file-not-found error (meaning it was deleted)
----- Luckily I was able to find it -but not truly intact, split into multiple parts- on a web-archive site...
----- These parts were collected & converted to MP4 videos. Those along with some joining vid-clips I made...were all put together as a single MP4 video.
----- Due to the nature of such conversion/re-build, interactivity is lost. But best attempts were made to preserve the original integrity.
----- I consider this as having restored/saved a "lost" video!
--- "Texas_Challenge"
----- !!ERROR!!
----- This was either a video or interactive flash ... off-site linked to floodsafety.com .
----- The "texas_challenge.swf" still there, but it won't play (the swf internally links to a media file that is 404 file-not-found error)
----- Unfortunately I was un-able to find this one archived anywhere.
----- Since its off-site from spotternetwork not much can be done, it probably should just be considered lost forever & the link removed.

------------------------------------
Hopefully that big wall of text I posted above wasn't too hard to follow!
(particularly on a small monitor, or especially mobile device, it wont format right)
Some technical notes:
Test done with PaleMoon again this time.
(same thing about un-needed objects as mentioned in previous posts also applies, not needed to list it all again)

Back