Spotter Network: Embedded videos in the quiz and training materials

Rowe E.

Enthusiast
The videos would not play in the training material. They also would not play in the quiz questions 14 and 16. I guessed and I got 14 right but I missed 16 not bad when there wasn't even a thumbnail LOL. I tried Chrome browser for the quiz, for the training material I tried dolphin, Samsung browser and Chrome. 16 was the only question I missed I'm sure if I can watch the video I would ace it and satisfy my inner overachiever...

Hi Rowe,
The video files require the flash player so are not available on many mobile devices.
Thank you for your response John my Chrome and dolphin browsers are running Flash Player for Android version 11.1.115.81
I did find a work around for me a free app called flash Fox it apparently is running an embedded Flash Player version 16.1.115 to my knowledge that's the only way to get it working on Android. So if anyone else finds This Thread and is looking for a solution I'd say flashfox is a quick fix.

I'm pretty sure Chrome and everyone quit updating the Flash Player for the other browsers. I took a look at your the source code and it seems to work fine on my phone if you use the object tags instead of embed... as a bonus you can use the parameters to display a thumbnail when flash isn't present and Java free for a lot of the "videos" a gif file right there would function just fine. I don't know why object tags seem to work better at least in my case I think they're pretty much interchangeable with embed tags... could have something to do with objects technically being separate HTML documents. I did notice on the tornado training page the time of day flash file rendered no matter what browser I was in but the months when tornadoes are most frequent did not so it might be something to do with multiple embeds I don't know. I'm not an expert I'm a trial-and-error kind of web designer. I have used HTML5 exclusively for a long time so I might be missing something.

But to sum up problem solved by using the FlashFox app... so if anyone wants to test on a mobile device that's the route I would go.

Back