SPC goes Purple for High Risk

In the scope of thing I feel embarrassed about posting this observation – I mean tornadic Supercell’s are raking the US right now.....

But I did just notice the SPC have changed the High Risk banner from red to purple – I am not sure that I like that change – red seems to be a better warning colour for me – unless this is some sort of “super high riskâ€￾ banner that has been produced.

Purple Example

yeah this change occurred around the same time they changed their WW graphics on their website making the watches on the U.S. blocky but still classic parellelogram when you clicked on it.
Also Mod risk is now the old high risk red color. So theres no yellow/organge anymore. Why the change, Im totally clueless. Way I see it, they musta been bored or something.

I do not like the new colors. I saw nothing wrong with the old colors of green, yellow, red. Maybe add a black for extreme high risk like yesterday should have been. :)

I think a 60% hatched tornado risk warrants an extreme high risk outlook. :eek:

yeah this change occurred around the same time they changed their WW graphics on their website making the watches on the U.S. blocky but still classic parellelogram when you clicked on it.
Also Mod risk is now the old high risk red color. So theres no yellow/organge anymore. Why the change, Im totally clueless. Way I see it, they musta been bored or something.
[/b]

Chris,

The way I see it, we were completing the change that we initiated 2 months ago. All of the outlook contours were revised with the addition of the new probability contours. We draw the contours on a black background, and then reproduce them for the web on a white background. The categorical outlooks are now the same color scheme on both backgrounds, so no need to change anything anymore.

The banner colors were changed yesterday to match the contour colors on the graphics.

Rich T.

Chris,

The way I see it, we were completing the change that we initiated 2 months ago. All of the outlook contours were revised with the addition of the new probability contours. We draw the contours on a black background, and then reproduce them for the web on a white background. The categorical outlooks are now the same color scheme on both backgrounds, so no need to change anything anymore.

The banner colors were changed yesterday to match the contour colors on the graphics.

Rich T.
[/b]

Ok thanks, I wasnt trying to hit on the SPC for making this change, I just couldnt for the life of me think of why such a change would be made but thanks for the explanation.

You mention that you used to have to switch the colors so they could be reproduced on the white background thats on the SPC website. Well the background on the SPC site used to be black so did the change to white background cause this problem?
Also on the topic of background color on SPC site, when it was black, I always liked how the PDS torn WW's were outlined in orange adding emphasis to the WW, but now with the blocky outline, thats now a moot point.

Just some personal observations

Ok thanks, I wasnt trying to hit on the SPC for making this change, I just couldnt for the life of me think of why such a change would be made but thanks for the explanation.

You mention that you used to have to switch the colors so they could be reproduced on the white background thats on the SPC website. Well the background on the SPC site used to be black so did the change to white background cause this problem?
Also on the topic of background color on SPC site, when it was black, I always liked how the PDS torn WW's were outlined in orange adding emphasis to the WW, but now with the blocky outline, thats now a moot point.

Just some personal observations
[/b]

Yes, the changes were brought about by the change to a white background. I think the county watch outlines were produced so that we can show the counties still in the watch. That has been requested by several NWS offices, and we finally got it working the past few weeks.

Rich T.

Back