so who's going to be 'cane chasing this year?

I might try one intercept this season if we get an NC/VA landfall. I've blown all of my 2005 chase funds on the Great Plains, so unless it's close to home I'm going to sit them out this year.

To me, Hurricane chasing isn't nearly as fun as tornado chasing. There's no skill involved. You know where it's going. After you get there, you just sit around and wait. There's no meso forecasting involved. I was on the Gulf Coast when Hurricane Georges made landfall. I must say, it was cool for about the first 15 minutes. After that, it got old. Just a bunch of wind and rain. The power was out and everything was so wet. Nothing was open and it's hard to go home the next day. My advice, if your going cane chasing, make sure you go along with several friends. Bring you some good food and maybe a beer or two and have a hurricane party. Otherwise, you will likely get bored. I did and I love bad weather...

I echo the previous post. While it can potentially be interesting, the chances of having a lousy time are actually quite high. The best case scenario, especially for anyone intercepting a hurricane for the first time, is definitely a Cat 1 or low Cat 2 that landfalls relatively close to your home base during the daytime. This happened to us with Hurricane Claudette on the TX coast a few years ago, and it was great, even blue sky in the eye. However, Lily was a different experience. We basically huddled in a parking garage for 36 hours, completely soaked and shivering, just watching relatively high winds sway the trees around us. One fell, but we didn't see it happen. Anyway, that's my 2 cents, the moral of the story is to really think it all through in terms of supplies, shelter, how far above sea level you are, and how far you have to travel for what you may potentially see.

Back