so who's going to be 'cane chasing this year?

This may be somewhere on another thread, if so.....then sorry. Last year we had more severe weather, including tornadoes, with the hurricanes that came through, than at any time during the entire year. I live in the very NW corner of South Carolina. Unfortunately, there was one fatality about 35 miles from here, and a lot of "sightings". All were VERY HP however.
I was thinking about going on a cane hunt later in the year, but I'm not to sure about mandatory evacuations, etc. What usually happens? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Steve,
I plan on doing some hurricane intercepts this year. I'm just kinda hoping to team up with someone who's done a few before, it's kinda nice to tag along with someone who has some experience...I have no idea how to "chase" a hurricane lol...I don't think that's possible...

I'm thinking about it too, but....like you, what do you really do? lol I know you usually get some tubes around the eyewall, but they are always so HP, you can't hardly see them. I just hate the thought that tornado weather is virtually over, and it's awhile before the next season starts. Late October - December can be good at times, for tornadoes. The thing is with hurricanes, is that they have so many mandatory evacuations, that it's tough to get to the core I would think. Still, having said all that, I'll still probably check it out. lol At least with hurricanes, you have plenty of warning, but.....that is one thing that takes away some of the thrill too.

yeah, there A LOT of things to consider when chasing...how to get fuel? where exactly to position? how to get there (avoiding mandatory evactuations)? I like the idea that you have more warning than tornadoes, I think that'll add to the anticipation of landfall. But anyways, I'm really considering "chasing" a hurricane this year, now that the tornado season is winding down. Im taking the weather station off the truck this weekend, and thats gonna be a teary moment :( ...so im gonna need something exciting to do afterwards.

I think I am probably going to give it a try this year. I have to get my parents to let me borrow their car though. My soft top Jeep isn't going to cut it in a hurricane. As long as I can get their consent on using the car, it's a go. I'm not sure whether or not I will be going alone or with someone. Hopefully I can find somebody to do it with me. It might get pretty lonely out there by myself.

I have chased only two hurricanes so far, but both were what you might call successful chases so I have some limited experience in this area.

Firstly I think that the chances of seeing a tornado near to the eye wall are very small – the cloud desk is so low and the amount of rain / spray / mist in the air reduces the visibility down to less than 1000 feet. In the outer rain bands you may fair better…

As far as I can tell the mandatory evacuation is really the wording used in that you must go now! As there is not going to be any EM to bale you out if things go wrong.

During Ivan I was shocked at the numbers of chasers who were out ~ we camped out in a multi-storey parking lot and there were a fair few there as well. I don’t remember there names but Dan Robinson was one of them. We all had our own fuel and food / water so could prity much survice on our own for a few days.

Right now I have a bag packed ready to go if a Hurricane looks like making landfall I can there to see it.

I'll be doing some hurricane observing this season. Got a few people to go with who have done it before. Should be exciting. Always something new to learn! Looks like their saying Florida will be under the gun again this year..

I'm planning on it, but it's all about the parents and what they say. We'll see. I'm in St. Pete, FL, so I'm close if anyone wants to come and see some...you've got someone here that can navigate the state somewhat!

Jason

I'd definitely like try my hand at another one, especially one on the Gulf Coast. Depends on if there will be an opportunity when I have the free time. That said mark Aug 18-21 on your calendars for the next major landfalling US hurricane - since I won't be able to chase during that time.

I will be at almost every T.S or cane this year. I am getting really excited since last year was so much fun. For anyone that is going for the first time I highly suggest that you ease into it with a weak hurricane or strong T.S. before diving into a cat 3 or higher. Also be very prepared with batteries, clothes, food, drink, flashlights, ice, zip lock bags, towels, first aid kits, etc. Another thing that really comes in handy is a generator. You can rent a good generator for about $60 for a couple days. Good luck to all you guys going out this season and I am sure I will meet a couple of you this year.

I plan to make a number of attempts this year. Transferring to KC in August is going to open a new world for me with the ability to take advantage of last minute cheap flight potentials (Southwest and a number of smaller carriers). That, plus the new Panasonic GS150 I bought will make it far more worthwhile then in years past.

Having relatives/friends in 4 coastal states is also a great factor with free board in a cane prone areas :) "Sure I'll keep a watch over your house while you evacuate" has been uttered more than once :)

Evan

P.S. Chris, I hope you'll use this year's cane names to your advantage with your expecting son!! Congrats in advance.

I might go hurricane chasing in a few years when I can get the money together and work out a plan of action.

Watch, I'll actually be ready to 'cane chase and it'll be the worst season ever :(.

Back