• A friendly and periodic reminder of the rules we use for fostering high SNR and quality conversation and interaction at Stormtrack: Forum rules

P.S. - Nothing specific happened to prompt this message! No one is in trouble, there are no flame wars in effect, nor any inappropriate conversation ongoing. This is being posted sitewide as a casual refresher.

SN / RS SN location not showing up on RadarScope

B Gardner

Enthusiast
The specific problem I’m having is my location is not showing up on the RadarScope app. I am signed into the spotternetwork on my RadarScope app, I do have location settings turns on, my location is being sent to the SN, yet me nor any of my team can see my specific “red dot” on the RadarScope app, nor do I show up in the spotter list. I am active on the SN and my account is in good standing. I stayed on RadarScope for an hour just to see if my location would show up.
I am running the latest iOS update, and the latest version of RadarScope. iPhone 8 Plus.F2582ACB-5F3A-4FE0-97D2-510CE903F4B8.png

I have gone through a bunch of threads trying to see if anyone else has had this problem but I wasn’t able to find a solution.
F9193ABA-553A-4A16-A6F1-143A5B9E130C.png

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Have you taken the spotter test?

The specific problem I’m having is my location is not showing up on the RadarScope app. I am signed into the spotternetwork on my RadarScope app, I do have location settings turns on, my location is being sent to the SN, yet me nor any of my team can see my specific “red dot” on the RadarScope app, nor do I show up in the spotter list. I am active on the SN and my account is in good standing. I stayed on RadarScope for an hour just to see if my location would show up.
I am running the latest iOS update, and the latest version of RadarScope. iPhone 8 Plus.View attachment 20327

I have gone through a bunch of threads trying to see if anyone else has had this problem but I wasn’t able to find a solution.
View attachment 20326

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

This happened to me, I just kill the app and keep opening and eventually it refreshed and showed my location. I`m using it on an iphone 11, also try and turn location settings on and off in the phone settings for that app. Its some kind of lag or glitch but eventually it should work.

This happened to me, I just kill the app and keep opening and eventually it refreshed and showed my location. I`m using it on an iphone 11, also try and turn location settings on and off in the phone settings for that app. Its some kind of lag or glitch but eventually it should work.

I’ve tried and tried. I even went as far to delete the app, redownload it and redo all the settings, still to no avail. This thread is my last hope in fixing it.

What does your layers tab show on these two toggle switches?

Attachments

• 808034AC-7F32-4AA3-9A29-592B309E05AC.jpeg
    808034AC-7F32-4AA3-9A29-592B309E05AC.jpeg
    443.1 KB · Views: 0
Hey @John Wetter do you have any ideas? In a previous thread I found here another user (Guy Teague) discussed his issues with iOS on an iPhone 7. The last things I thought of were to make sure the credentials you’re using also work when logging into the SN website (I think you’ve done that). I’d also turn on the “Disable Auto Lock” switch to see if that helps. I’d turn “Report Location” off in any other running instances of RS you have (Windows, iPad, wherever). It couldn't hurt to toggle Report Location off/on to refresh it. John might have some ideas, so hang tight. Thank you.

Last edited:
Hey @John Wetter do you have any ideas? In a previous thread I found here another user (Guy Teague) discussed his issues with iOS on an iPhone 7. The last things I thought of were to make sure the credentials you’re using also work when logging into the SN website (I think you’ve done that). I’d also turn on the “Disable Auto Lock” switch to see if that helps. I’d turn “Report Location” off in any other running instances of RS you have (Windows, iPad, wherever). It could hurt to toggle Report Location off/on to refresh it. John might have some ideas, so hang tight. Thank you.

Besides my iPhone, I have RS on my iPad and rarely use the location settings on it.

Your username as posted above will not show up in RadarScope because it violates our "Real Names" policy by including information besides your name. It appears an email was sent to an address that bounced. Looking at your account you now have a different email address than what had been signed up for so perhaps it went to an old address you no longer access? Either way, if your name were corrected and then we were notified, your account would again appear on all of our data feeds.

Your username as posted above will not show up in RadarScope because it violates our "Real Names" policy by including information besides your name. It appears an email was sent to an address that bounced. Looking at your account you now have a different email address than what had been signed up for so perhaps it went to an old address you no longer access? Either way, if your name were corrected and then we were notified, your account would again appear on all of our data feeds.

I see. The email I originally provided is still the email I use to today, but I will make sure the name field contains only my name.

We have issues with bounced emails of our own. I need to clean it up soon. Thanks for the expert advice John. I thought about that username but I wasn't sure if that by itself would kill the user experience.

Hi there. How long after the information is updated in the NWS section of ones profile does the red dot locator come back ? I put a phone number as requested and am waiting for my beacon to come back.

Hi there. How long after the information is updated in the NWS section of ones profile does the red dot locator come back ? I put a phone number as requested and am waiting for my beacon to come back.
The correction for phone numbers is automatic so it will be when your placefile updates next, which I believe for most platforms is 2-5 minutes. 2 minutes is the rate at which we update the feeds.

Hi there again. Just wondering if you can look into where the red dot is. I haven't has it show up for a few months and everything that is suposto be be ..is. All settings, all information, same phone as always. It states that the location was sent but no dot appearing. I am using Wxforce01 on SN. Thx.

Yes. The user name is that. Should I change that also. It's been that for a long time unless something has changed. Otherwise all info is as requested. Still no dot

Here are some hints for trouble shooting this:

1) Check RS settings and make sure it is set to send your beacon to SN and has your username and password. Turn on location (make sure you get the blue circle). Turn off radar selection (radar abbreviations don't show). Turn on showing spotters and make sure you see other red dots.
2) Keep RS open and active in the foreground for a while (RS does not beacon when in the background)
3) On a computer open this file in a web browser: https://www.spotternetwork.org/feeds/gr.txt. If you did steps 1 and 2 correctly you should be able to use the find function to find your name in that file. If you don't see it you are either not beaconing or have been disabled (usually due to not having a phone number for NWS or for violation of SN policy). If you do find your name in that file, you should also be seeing it in RS. It might also be helpful to login to SN from a web browser and check your position history.

Here are some hints for trouble shooting this:

1) Check RS settings and make sure it is set to send your beacon to SN and has your username and password. Turn on location (make sure you get the blue circle). Turn off radar selection (radar abbreviations don't show). Turn on showing spotters and make sure you see other red dots.
2) Keep RS open and active in the foreground for a while (RS does not beacon when in the background)
3) On a computer open this file in a web browser: https://www.spotternetwork.org/feeds/gr.txt. If you did steps 1 and 2 correctly you should be able to use the find function to find your name in that file. If you don't see it you are either not beaconing or have been disabled (usually due to not having a phone number for NWS or for violation of SN policy). If you do find your name in that file, you should also be seeing it in RS. It might also be helpful to login to SN from a web browser and check your position history.
Ok thx. Everything is on the way it's always been but I will do a full check again. Let you know.

Ok thx. Everything is on the way it's always been but I will do a full check again. Let you know.
I have done everything you wrote. Radarscope states it has sent my info at the correct intervals. Position report, lat/long correct. Blue target turns on map showing my location but no red dot.

I have done everything you wrote. Radarscope states it has sent my info at the correct intervals. Position report, lat/long correct. Blue target turns on map showing my location but no red dot.
Your account was flagged as a disallowed name. As it looks like that has been corrected I've re-enabled the account.

Back